Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-17-2013, 12:28 AM #1
pmrPAT
Pat is sexy

Noob Question: Why do players wrap their barrels with tape?

So I've been in the sport for years, and I never understood this. I see a lot of pros do this, they wrap either the inside of their gun barrels with what looks like athletic tape ?? What is the purpose of this? I see some do it on the inside of their barrel closer to the gun, some do it on the tips of their barrel. Does this actually serve a purpose? Is it actually just plain old athletic tape?

Thanks guys, I will finally know.
pmrPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2013, 02:52 AM #2
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
The last one is just a graphic sleeve that goes over the barrel to look cool. I've got a Vicious one on my Axe.

However, the taping of the tip with a different color can help with getting a feel of the tip as opposed to the rest of the barrel, or if they're like me they do it in case of nasty bunker rub.

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 AM #3
Mr. Stealthy

There are various reasons people use tape on their barrels/markers. Athletic or hockey tape is often used to provide added grip for barrel tightening or removal. It is also used near the base of the barrel to provide added grip for people who place their thumb in that spot. The picture you have with tape over the tip of the barrel is something people do to prevent anodizing wear on the tip of the barrel. The very final picture you have is a barrel sleeve. Barrel sleeves are generally made of neoprene and their purpose is simply for advertising and cool looking graphics.
Mr. Stealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM #4
pmrPAT
Pat is sexy

Thanks guys, would covering up the holes in your barrel have any shot effect?
pmrPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM #5
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrPAT View Post
Makes it loud. Some say it can effect the consistency some but I never noticed a difference.
Mr. Stealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM #6
shokertm

shokertm owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
shokertm supports Team VICIOUS
shokertm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
shokertm supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrPAT View Post
Those holes in the barrel are for porting. When the ball moves past each hole air flows into the holes so when the paint leaves the tip it doesn't have as loud of a sound. That's what I've been told.

I have tape in my barrel invade it loosens up mid game with my slippery hands I can get some grip

GEARBAG SALE EVERYTHING PRICED TO SELL
shokertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 PM #7
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
We've got barrel sleeves but mainly to cover porting when it's raining. Most of the time i never use mine.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 PM #8
shokertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
We've got barrel sleeves but mainly to cover porting when it's raining. Most of the time i never use mine.
and the only advantage youd get when its raining is so the water doesnt go into your breech and get all over your bolt.. or something to that extent...

Old 11-24-2013, 01:31 PM #9
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokertm View Post
and the only advantage youd get when its raining is so the water doesnt go into your breech and get all over your bolt.. or something to that extent...
It's so water doesn't get into the barrel. Much as paint goo in a barrel from a broken ball makes life miserable, a barrel with water on the inside will also have problems.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 PM #10
shokertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post

It's so water doesn't get into the barrel. Much as paint goo in a barrel from a broken ball makes life miserable, a barrel with water on the inside will also have problems.
And after you shoot one ball it should clear out. If you are playing where it's raining so hard you need to cover your ports.. You need to take a step back and go home an wait for it to clear.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM #11
BigPumpPlayer

BigPumpPlayer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:

And after you shoot one ball it should clear out. If you are playing where it's raining so hard you need to cover your ports.. You need to take a step back and go home an wait for it to clear.
Not an option some times. I have played in tournaments where it rains in the middle of the day and if you want to play on you better have some electrical tape on you. It's cool if you want to let your team down because you refuse to play in rain though.
Phantom VSC Custom Pump
"I Fight YOU!!! Pew Pew!"
BigPumpPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM #12
skatepb
need a funny sig

skatepb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
skatepb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
skatepb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPumpPlayer View Post
Not an option some times. I have played in tournaments where it rains in the middle of the day and if you want to play on you better have some electrical tape on you. It's cool if you want to let your team down because you refuse to play in rain though.
its also cool to ruin a $500-$1000 gun for one day of play sooo when there is another tournament you have to use your backup or maybe nothing at all
I wish paintball was on tv i really do....but im also glad its not......tv makes things mainstream and mainstream things bring in people who want to be cool by doing what every one else does..........i like playing with people who dont mind spending thousands of dollars on paintball not wannabe losers.
skatepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM #13
swanysto

I am not sure I would ditch my entry fee and the money I spent on paint and travel for the off chance my gun gets ruined in a tournament. The only real thing that would get broken is the board(or maybe the eye) if it happened to get wet. And most stock boards(and eyes) aren't going to cost near 500-1000, or as much as you paid for entry fee and travel.

Back on topic though. I know there are people who have tape on their barrel similar to the guy in picture one, cause sometimes they put cameras on their barrel. I would imagine it is just easier to wrap the tape and leave it there, even if you are not using a camera at the time.
swanysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 PM #14
Venemous Fire

Annual Supporting Member
Venemous Fire is playing at Living Legends V
Venemous Fire owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Venemous Fire supports Team VICIOUS
Venemous Fire has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Venemous Fire has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Venemous Fire is Legendary
Quote:
Yeah sure maybe if it's a practice day but not during a tournament. You don't have a choice but to continue to play during a tournament unless they take a break and wait for it to stop. Most of the time they don't. PSP doesn't stop unless lightning starts to show up.

Playing in rain is fun. You should give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatepb View Post
its also cool to ruin a $500-$1000 gun for one day of play sooo when there is another tournament you have to use your backup or maybe nothing at all
Again, I played in a tournament where it was raining hard and steady during the finals. We didn't have the pack up and go option. It was finals and we were there to win. At the end of the day I was covered in a layer of mud and so was my 09 Ego. Not once did I worry that my gun was going to fail me. I just covered the barrel ports with electrical tape and kept on playing. Yes I slid and dove through puddles of water/mud. Yes I had to break the entire gun down that night and clean it all off and re-lube everything but it was one of the best tournaments I have ever played in.

Your gun is highly unlikely to fail you because of a little rain. They are built to be water resistant. Meaning rain really isn't going to get in, but throw it into a pool of water and you may have a problem. Other manufactures take it a step further like PE. They have a coating on their boards to help prevent a short circuit in the event water gets in the grip.

Last edited by Venemous Fire : 03-11-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Venemous Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM #15
SeanPB1029
Shooting Loud and Proud

SeanPB1029 is playing at Living Legends VII
SeanPB1029 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
SeanPB1029 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Protection of Barrel.

I do it too, and I do it to make sure that no paint get in the barrel through the porting. This would happen when your barrel is up against a bunker and there is a splat of paint, and you rub it all over your barrel. You definitely do NOT want paint in your barrel.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 PM #16
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Dont really see a point of it and I never will. Barrel sleeve add cool aestheic touches but thats about it.. I really cant buy into the BS that it protects against rain, paint, blah blah blah
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM #17
ivysore

ivysore owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ivysore has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ivysore has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I've done it for rain purposes but only if it's like dumping on a mother ****er.
ivysore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:24 AM #18
C@mM!

Heh, always carry some leccy tape in the kit bag for rain. Helps a tonne.

Have always wanted a barrel that came with a slottable rain cover for this purpose. Oh well.
C@mM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:26 AM #19
Ackon

Quote:
Those holes in the barrel are for porting. When the ball moves past each hole air flows into the holes so when the paint leaves the tip it doesn't have as loud of a sound. That's what I've been told.
I also understood that porting, helps with a consistent shot for shot.

It helps equalize the pressure behind the paintball. Without the porting, you could have higher pressure on one side of the paint, inducing a spin, and that spin would be different each time you shoot.
Ackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:21 PM #20
Kade1012

Kade1012 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I wrapped my ports in tape to keep water out of my barrel last weekened. You wouldn't understand how many weird looks I got.

My set-up
Empire sniper
Ninja pro 45/45
Sportshot
Dye I4
WTB: locklid Winchester
Kade1012 is offline   Reply With Quote