Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-13-2013, 03:37 PM #1
Tobeyj99

Question Airsoft to paintball mod

Hey pbnation! I was thinking about buying a cheap airsoft gun and modding it to fit 98 custom internals. The reason I'm using a 98 and a cheap airsoft gun is because I've never done this before and if I screw up it won't be so bad. If you guys have any recommendations for a cheap airsoft gun to use for the modding please tell reply what they are! Who knows if all goes well I might start making more and selling them.
Tobeyj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM #2
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Really, it depends on what gun you want to do. For me, I wanted an MP5 looking marker. At the time (2006ish?) Ariakon came out with the SIM5 which was a take on the MP5. In the image below it's the top marker.

As you can see though, it wasn't the traditional MP5 look that we're all more familiar with. It had no mag, a funky front shroud, and the solid stock. Good news was it was CLOSE to the MP5 in scale. So, I decided to do what you're thinking about doing. I got some Airsoft parts and went to town.

Let me just say a few things. In the first picture I have my mk 1 mag mod and, up close, it looked like crap. The air adaptor that went in the receiver was huge and I had to bang and bend the mag to get it to fit around it. Far away, like in the above picture, it looked great. Up close it was just azz. So I went with a mk 2 version where I actually had a part made to fit up in the receiver, was much narrower and replacing the stock ASA, and allowed the mag to slide over it without modification. That is what it looked like below.

The stock was another issue. Remember I said the SIM5 was CLOSE??? Well the base of the stock had to be cut off to let it slip over the back of the SIM5 receiver. You can see the receiver sticking out of the bottom of the stock base in the image above. While this worked okay, it wasn't perfect especially since the receiver was also slightly wider than the MP5 and thus the "arms" of the stock wanted to spread out a little when it was collapsed. The base of the stock held them in place but, over time, the stock weakened and broke.

Of course, then there is the shroud. The front shroud had to be cut down in places with a dremmel tool since the paintball barrel is MUCH larger than the actual MP5 barrel. Also, it had to be modified to fit over the slightly larger receiver of the SIM5 too. It didn't look bad, even up close, but a good inspection and someone could see where it had been modified. Also, the flashlight rubbed against the barrel since, in the normal gun, the barrel wasn't so big around. This put some pressure on the light and it eventually failed.

Eventually Ariakon got smart and made a MP5 collapsable stock, a mag kit, and the MP5 style front shroud (minus the flashlight) and you had what looked pretty close to what I had done.

I tell you this because I started with a marker that was supposed to look like the gun I was converting it to. You will have no such luck with the 98 Custom. You will need a lot of time, a lot of patience, and a lot of dremmel work. Your first version may not come out looking that great but stick to it. I've seen a lot of Airsoft to Paintball body conversions and some look great while others fall apart in the first five minutes of play.

Planning is going to be your biggest ally so take your time, figure out what gun you want to make your Tippmann look like, and go from there. Of course, you can also do something that gets you reasonably in the ballpark too. For instance, this is my "Barrett"...

Now, there are many, and I do mean MANY, parts of this gun that are not even close to what a Barrett has but, whenever someone would see it, they'd say "Nice .50" or "Oooh...a Barrett!" So while it wasn't exact, it was close enough and it cost far less than had I tried to make it look identical to the real deal. Something to think about...

Last edited by Robotech : 11-13-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM #3
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post

That gun looks more like a UMP-45. Not quite understanding why he is using a shake-n-bake hopper and a CO2 tank though...
However, I like how they put the remote there instead of a pseudo-magazine. It is much cleaner looking than having the air go through a hollowed out magazine like your setup(no insult intended).

Personally though, I would have gone with ion internals over 98. Ion internals are contained in a tube and have eyes and such, thus tend to mount much more cleanly which is why you see them used more often in custom built mil-sim setups.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 11-13-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM #4
Tobeyj99

Thanks for the advice robotech.

The reason I'm using 98 internals is because this isn't an expensive project , it's a budget baller project it's gotta be as cheap as possible
Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 PM #5
Tobeyj99

And I'm talking to a guy over at x7OG and we are figuring this whole thing out. He's done this kinda stuff before
Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM #6
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
That gun looks more like a UMP-45. Not quite understanding why he is using a shake-n-bake hopper and a CO2 tank though...
However, I like how they put the remote there instead of a pseudo-magazine. It is much cleaner looking than having the air go through a hollowed out magazine like your setup(no insult intended).

Personally though, I would have gone with ion internals over 98. Ion internals are contained in a tube and have eyes and such, thus tend to mount much more cleanly which is why you see them used more often in custom built mil-sim setups.
I'd guess that picture is about 5-6 years old. HPA was still pretty new then and most people still ran off CO2. As for the hopper, no clue. Aggitating hoppers had been around for a while by then.

No qualms about the air preference. That's why it's a preference. I would have prefered the air to come out the bottom of the grip or around the stock area but that wasn't the way the gun was designed. Hence why a lot of folks use Ions for projects like this. Stacked tube blow backs almost always had their air coming in before the valve like that so most manufacturers set it up this way since MagFed wasn't on anyone's radar at the time.

Heck, back then you had Armotech/Warsensor/Miltec, Ariakon, and Tippmann being the only companies offering markers that even LOOKED like they could take a mag or be modified to have that look. We've come a long way since then.

That's why my "new" Barrett doesn't have that issue.

Tobey, the guys on X7OG will give you some good advice. I am a member of A5OG since I still have an A5. Probably have talked to the same guy you're talking to as many of the guys belong to all the Tippmann OG forums.

Last edited by Robotech : 11-14-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM #7
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Empire
I've seen this done several times; seen a saw and a few p90's looked good, but my fav was a mw3 ak-47 mod. Check over at 98og for those and some other ideas