A few years back I began building an intimidator part by part after purchasing a 2k2 Lasoya and using that platform to eventually morph into a custom 2k5'd Species
. I eventually sold that gun and have regretted it since that day. I decided to embark on building a new 2k5'd Species
project to keep for good this time and thought I would share the process with anyone who is interested or wants to do something similar.
First, I had to buy some parts. Fortunately Juit had been hoarding a half completed Species
build and I was able to score a lot of parts from him right off the bat to make my job easier. He already had:
The body with eye covers (Not a Species
without the artwork itself!)
The original trigger guard and trigger (Verrry hard to find)
An Alias front block and Frame (with the OG Jewels, thanks Cheech!)
Siege Bolt Removal tool
Custom milled ram
2k2 Ram Sleeve with a modded Vice Cupseal Poppet
Virtue Redefined board and electronics, eyes, etc.
After having this solid start, I scoured PBN and IOTM for:
Aluminum ram cap I could anodized
Cam Drive ASA
UL 14'in barrel
For the LPR, I decided to go AKA SCM instead of Bob Long
(sorry!) due to the aesthetics I have always found pleasing when anodizing in different colors. Here is the gun that inspired that decision:
As far as new parts went, I purchased a:
New Critical rail for its dimensions in covering the bottom of the Alias frame.
New G6R grips
New Ion threaded Bob Long
clamping feedneck (vice/g6r style)
Now in order to have the Alias front block work with the Species
body and Alias frame, it is necessary to tap the body. This is a frightening proposition for such a nice condition Species
body, but I was also having Juit drill the body for a widened ram sleeve inlet hole anyways so it worked out nicely.
Juit also had to dremel the Species
trigger guard in order to fit on the Alias frame. (Older bulky trigger guards may have often trouble with 2k5
Before the anodizing was to be done, I wanted to tap the grip screws to attach the G6R grips to the Alias Frame. As per Turmoil's guide and PM assistance, I used a 6-32 NC tap with a 7/64 Drill bit and a power hand drill to create proper fittings for the 3 additional screws I would need for the G6R grips. I used an Xacto blade to cut it to fit. here is the guide for those interested. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3819598&page=2
Here is Turmoil's beautiful gun that I used for inspiration for the grips, the Critical rail, and the dust finish.
As for my gun, all the parts were assembled and ready to send to anodizing at PK Selective in California. I wanted an electric dust purple with dust black accents.
When I got it back, however, I was not pleased with the color at all. This was the result of some miscommunication and me not including an adequate color sample for them to match.
Also missing from the box was my prized Species
trigger. Luckily after some communication with Peter at PK, he found it after a week of my panicking and cursing his existence. I removed the hexes I cast on him after I got it back. Little did he know he was going to get the whole kit and caboodle back with a color sample for the exact hue of purple I wanted .
The results were perfect:
I added the dust black CCM fitting in this picture as well, which I had to find on MCB forums since CCM ran out of those particular color on their Ebay store. I also purchased those SS screws from Crankwalk over at IOG forums.
Now I just needed to fit that Ion threaded feedneck into the body for good (it was just placed on there for that picture). Who better to send it to than my good buddy Juit? He had to shaved the threads off the neck, then shave a milimeter or two circumference off the bottom to be able to snugly fit the neck in the body with some weld. The results were very pleasing, per usual.
Now that I had all my parts completed, I assembled the gun myself. Big mistake. The multiple trips to the anodizer had cleaned some meat off the entire gun and the tolerances had been thrown off in multiple areas. After chasing leaks for 4-5 hours, shredding barbs off, almost shooting the ram sleeve out the back of the gun, and questioning the existence of a benevolent universe, I decided to just pay the pro to fix my woes. Juit told me later that I had apparently punctured the 360 with my wrenching in my beloved CCM fitting. Curses. He added some uniquely sized o-rings so the parts of my gun weren't such hotdogs in a hallway and used some quick steel and JB weld to fix the puncture in the 360.
I just got it back tonight and I attached a Critical magnet trigger kit and adjusted the trigger just perfectly for my liking. I will be taking it to the field tomorrow after about 6 months of planning, buying, building, breaking, and fixing what I think is my favorite gun I have ever owned or seen. I truly love the Species
intimidator and I don't think there will ever be another gun like this. This is the most recent picture, I will add some in the coming days with a possible shooting video. Enjoy.
(Thank you Juit for all your help. Also anyone should feel free to ask me any questions about the process)