Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 PM #1
ubermick

Your arsenal - what's needed, what's overkill?

Fast learning that buying this stuff is almost as much fun as using it, but with a wife casting the evil eye over the credit card bills, I need to find a happy medium when it comes to pickup up gear.

Initially I thought two markers would be enough for anyone - a primary and a backup in case the primary goes down. For most, that's a rifle and a pistol. But now I'm getting tempted elsewhere. I've got the Phenom as my main, and an SP1 as backup, now looking at pistols and having a hard time between the 8.1 and TipX (not trying to turn this into a "which is better?" thread, though.) And then I start thinking magfed. And then...

So what's the "sweet spot" in terms of collecting, before you cross the line from "I need these" to "I'm just hoarding things"? Primary, sidearm, backup? Or is there more?
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM #2
Avint

What will you use, and what would you like to use. That's the basic question.

I have a friend who has a X7 that he has multi pieces to change the look and feel of. He has a 98 Custom as his backup all stock. He's happy with 1 marker and multi addons as the custom sits at home most of the time.

I have another friend who uses a G5, Pump and wants to get a dye dam. The G5 he uses the most and the pump only once and awhile. He wants the Dam as he likes it more then other woods balls and can use magfed if he wants. Looking used and is willing to sit and wait.

Myself I have a DM13 and a Crossover. I use my DM only, and the crossover as a loaner marker or for a quick game with the mech only on. I am eyeing the used market for a X7 but in no hurry and more window shopping. Also watching reviews on the TIPX and the extension from Milsig to make it more like a rifle.

Now me and my friends all talk about getting into magfed or more MILSIG style markers, but its all talk as we would only use them if it was a theme or a big game for fun, to me this is boarder line hoarding. I want it, but I wont use it all the time, and it wont be the first thing I grab when I go to play. Collecting is upgrading every once and awhile, selling old stuff but not priced to move. So for example I find a good deal on the TIPX and later I get the upgrades as I want, like remote line, vest, Zeta Megs etc.... So ask yourself:

How often in game to I "need" this item?
Will this replace my main marker or just sit there for X to happen?
Is my current item not meeting my needs and I need something better?

That to me is what you need to ask. I would love to get into magfed or milsig. But when shopping for my next marker, I wanted a better speedball marker, not a new setup as my crossover was letting me down in speedball, but fine for outdoor big games. Also start making things a "Treat" or "Special Event". So for the Holiday's I am getting a new vest. To start the year off I am getting a new mask. Then you start to get doubles and you can have backups or loaner gear. But you have used it all and know it. Or set aside money and wait for sales, then its not a surprise big cost, but has been spread out before hand and not stuck on a credit card. $20 a month or by weekly can get you upgrades every few months for small things like gloves and big things over the off season or as things break or you want to upgrade.

Hope this helps.
Avint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM #3
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
It all depends on your budget as well. The only thing I have is my pump, mask, and a loaner Tippmann, because I have no $ to spend. But I know people who have two or three complete set-ups (gun, tank, mask) "just in case." I think the only stuff you need is one mask, your main gun, loader, tank, and a backup that's sub $100.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM #4
splatthetick

I play twin T8's for part of the day and pump the rest of the day. I have a T-9 (FS ready) I have played with twice! Thought I would like sniper mode but I like the front! You buy what you want and more...it can be an obsession at times. Good luck and have fun
splatthetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:41 PM #5
Reloadro
Phantom Lords

I figure I NEED a marker of each type: an electro, a pump, a pistol. I picked up a magfed rifle (milsig mk3) but it didn't really suit me so I sold it. I'm waiting for something along the lines of the DAM to come out at a lower price (and without bolt issues and lack of air in stock option). I had a stock class marker (phantom) at one point too. Now I roll with and axe, a tpx, and a t2.

If your budget allows, buy a couple of things. You'll probably decide to sell a couple of things too. And if you have a reliable pump or pistol, just use one of those as a backup instead of a backup electro; sell the sp1. Tell your wife how much less you'll be spending on paint in the long run lol
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 PM #6
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
I find I NEED a gun of each type as well, but there are a LOT more types than just electro, pump, and pistol.

Electro poppet, electro spool, these overlap with the categories of electro uncapped semi and electro capped.

Mechanicals including mech stacked blowback, mech in-line blowback, mech autococking which overlaps with mech closed bolt, mech blowforward (currently missing this one, it pains me), mech fullauto (got two of these ), mech old school heavy metal (see avatar), and a few others.

Pumps include (and there's a lot of overlap on this one), pump stock class pistol, stock class long gun (don't quite have one of these yet), pump open, pump modified stock, pump sheridan based, pump nelson based, pump knightmare based, pump sterling based (missing this one), pump brass, pump aluminum, pump plastic, and of course wood.

There's the aesthetic categories of Sport (aka "speedball" but I find that to be a rather silly name since the guns don't care what field they are on), Military, Military-Tactical (or mil-tac, signifies a bunch of rails on a military styled gun), Sport-Tactical (bunch of rails on a "speedball" gun), Mil-Sim, and Sport-Sim (like mil-sim, but nothing military about it, mag fed "speedball" gun). Still working on filling out these categories.

Now I've been known to go through 6 or 7 guns in a day, changing up styles to match the players on the field, the field we're playing (often going the opposite of expectations, just for fun, my T9's first elimination was on the airball field), and of course how much paint I have left.

You probably have too many when you end up buying a gun you just can not use on the field. I have two of those, a pair of .80 cal Stingrays. Or you buy a gun and manage to forget about it until you stumble upon it while cleaning out a closet (guilty again, twice).

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 AM #7
Snausage

I'm the feel similarly as the guys above. I discovered that I just needed a couple markers to cover the most contrasting styles of play. So I have an Empire Axe for paint-slinging, a Spyder Hammer 7 for pump/magfed, and a TiPX which I'm tempted to slap a Milsig FXR onto once they release a tan version.
Snausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM #8
Nahib_Stilgar

Only one marker is NEEDED to play...Decent markers these days rarely go down so long as the player performs even the most basic maintenance...

After that...everything is WANT.

I have four guns, none are back ups to any of the others. I have only ever had a gun fail on me twice in years of play...both were custom and a little finicky...
All do different things and get played with based on my whim of the day.

I could easily sell 3 guns and be content, but I like to have a choice.

Borrow different guns if you can to try them and the play style out before you buy. Only buy what you know you will play with and enjoy. Not what you "think" you might like...
Nahib_Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:54 PM #9
Blind Eye

Check my signature...

My thoughts:
(here's my OP for a thread I started on X7OG)
Quote:
Yes I know the Eraser is a .43 marker, yes I'm ok with this, no I don't want a .68 marker, Why?...

KT Eraser - TiPx/T8.1
$100 - $200+
9 round mag - 7 and 8 round mag
63 shots/12g Co2 - 20ish/12gCo2
Looks like it's made by Ruger - Looks like its made by Fisher Price
Metal construction - Polymer construction
About the size of an SR9 - About the size of a Desert Eagle

Ok moving on. So I got myself an Eraser and I love it. Right out of the box this thing just oozes coolness. You can aquire targets easily with the sights, the rubberized grips feel great, the handles not to thick, the mag release and safety can be accessed with thumb and index finger without having to shift the gun (for rightys). It has some really nice all metal (minus the end plate) mags that do drop-free with ease, this is a huge plus. I can't express this next point enough, this gun is EXTREMELY accurate. I'm shooting 5" groups at 50-60ft!
Kingman also has a Chaser model that is identical internally, and only differs by a polymer frame and shorter in length on the outside. This leads me to my next point.

Kingman Training Chaser - First Impressions and Tear-down - mcarterbrown.com

Above is a tear down of the Chaser marker. The OP outlines a few things that interests me that I will quote here:
Quote:
Quote:
At first I suspected that the cap held the set screw, but the cap is in fact hollow and the set screw is built into the front striker itself. Even though the velocity adjuster and main spring are reverse from a full-bodied STBB—with the adjuster in front of the spring instead of behind it—they function exactly the same. Screwing in the velocity adjuster compresses the spring, causing velocity to increase, by making the rear striker keep the valve open longer (aka, increased dwell)

This interests me due to the fact that the Eraser/Chaser are both capped off at a max fps @ around 250fps. I have heard of these stock guns chronoing in the 260's, I have yet to chrono mine though. I just wonder if you would be able to increase past the max velocity by: A) shim the screw and spring he refers to to increase the springs tension, B) use a longer screw, or C) use a stiffer spring.
My next concern would be if the port in the valve is large enough to accommodate the volume of Co2 you would need to go increase velocity. Or maybe there's a "safety" feature in place that doesn't allow the spring to apply any more pressure.
A few things to cmment on after owning this pistol awhile:
It actually can hold up to 10 rounds not 9.
The velocity adjustment is nothing but a screw so with nothing more than a longer screw or shim you can infact increase velocity.
Blind Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 PM #10
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Empire
Over the years I've always had a bunch of markers and half ended up being wall hangers so I'm getting myself down to what I will use and not just look at; My main (Spyder MR5), backup (Hammer 7), and I'm looking to get an Eraser since they are small and make for an easy light sidearm. This list will probably change but I'll keep it to 1 magfed/1 pump/1 sidearm... unless I need a project marker to mess with.
I also keep a couple loaners at my field for friends.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM #11
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Eye View Post
A few things to cmment on after owning this pistol awhile:
It actually can hold up to 10 rounds not 9.
The velocity adjustment is nothing but a screw so with nothing more than a longer screw or shim you can infact increase velocity.
I was thinking about that pistol - like the fact it's all aluminium and not plastic like the TipX, and would probably suit me better since I have tiny girly hands, as opposed to the Tippmann Hand Cannon. And frankly, the price is fairly stellar, compared to buying the TipX or T8.1

How come you're selling yours tho?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM #12
Blind Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
How come you're selling yours tho?
I'm the fastest guy on my team and I'm trying to get faster by lightening my equipment load.
Blind Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM #13
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I have a Pump and 2 electros. Since I have a kit to rebuild about anything on the mini, I'm going to sell one. I only need 2 guns with how often I play and when I do, the pump and mini work just fine. The pump uses 12 gram cartridges and is more for outlaw ball or pump events. The mini is my main gun.

I have 3 hoppers (2 battery, 1 gravity) and 2 barrels (1 deadly wind fiber with freak kit, 1 lurker). Last I have 2 tanks (carbon fiber and steelie). I do have 3 masks but I'm trying to sell one. I bought a chrono and have 2 sets of clothes to wear. So I even have backups for my accessories.

I played two different setups at scenario games and UWL but I only play one mini now since I made one exactly how I wanted it and the backup never sees action. I don't think I need anything else, just to diverse myself from a backup marker and a backup mask. With only 2 hands, having more than 2 of anything is just silly for a rec ball enthusiast.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 PM #14
ubermick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
With only 2 hands, having more than 2 of anything is just silly for a rec ball enthusiast.
True. In reality if you're playing Milsim, you just need a primary and a sidearm if you're into that sort of thing. A backup is nice purely in case something happens to the primary and you genuinely don't want to futz with it too much and just want to get back in the game (or use as a loaner for friends).

Primary and magfed could technically be the same thing - a Phenom, for example, with an MKP-II kit with hopper adapter.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM #15
sobersteve323
Budget Baller

sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
For me two is plenty. I use my TiPX most of the time and bring out the axe when I feel like slinging some paint. I recently sold off two pumps that gathered dust. I've found I personally don't need anything else since I mainly just do private groups. The TiPX also fulfills my magfed itch and if the FXR kits ever come down in price I'll pick one up if I feel like a longer magfed marker. Even then I'll still be at two markers.

My preference is to only use one marker at a time. Even at big games I would rather bring an extra pod of paint or some magazines than carry two. If one goes down I would rather just walk back to the car and try to fix it or switch markers. But I know some guys that are the opposite and will bring two or three markers out for 15 minute games so it's up to you!
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM #16
8WhiteBoy8
Paintball Sponge

Annual Supporting Member
8WhiteBoy8 is BST Trusted
8WhiteBoy8 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
8WhiteBoy8 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
X7 for the woods and a Shocker for speedball, each being the other's backup. I don't have the money to collect, and each of those work 100% when I need them.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM #17
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I started with a basic setup of a gun, hopper, tank, and mask. I slowly added to this setup. I got a crapload of guns and hoppers and crap that I really didn't need, so I keep it for a little bit to see what I used, and got rid of pretty much everything else. Now I have a couple guns to choose from (no electros, though...) and just the stuff I'll use.

My advice is to think how often you're going to use it. If you see yourself pulling it out one every three times you go out, you may want to question it. If you're using it all the time, though, then I'd keep it.
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 PM #18
loougle

Annual Supporting Member
loougle has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
loougle has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
loougle supports Empire
I've always thought that you need a solid gun and a back up. But now.... I want a speedball set up and a high end recball set up and then 2 back up set ups for both of those.
loougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM #19
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Update...

I have reduced my arsenal to a mini and a phantom. However I've kept serval different setups of both markers.

All chrome V3 mini with on/off ASA, Boss bolt, and violent trigger is a poor mans axe. I play it with a custom wrapped rotor and 45/4500 Crossover carbon fiber tank. This setup is 80% of my game play. I have a 45/3000 Empire steelie tank I carry on scenario games that I carry as a secondary tank. When I play against newbies, civil war games, or for slower play, I throw on a Primo Proto gravity hopper. I do have 3 barrels for the mini. Two matching chrome barrels, 12" .695 stock barrel and my main barrel, a 14" .684 polished Lurker barrel. I have a deadly winds fiber with full freak kit I rarely use, except on brittle paint that needs a specific bore match.

Secondary marker is a pump. The CCI Phantom is so versatile. I play it as a pump pistol with a short pump handle and 6" barrel. I also play a 14" barrel and play it as a rifle. Occasionally if I play a long shooter or back player, I'll add he t-stock to assist with accuracy, but that's few and far between. I only play stock class with 12 gram with the phantom. Having a pump stock class has limited paint consumption and is how I play the last 4/8 games when I'm down to 200 rounds or less in a day.

Other than that, I've sold the rest (or have for sale) all the other hoppers, tanks, and guns.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:10 AM #20
Fieldpeice
That Paintball Complexion

Fieldpeice has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fieldpeice has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I too have reduced I sold my mag fed mkv with box mag.
Now I have my p90 ion, an sp8, the phenom, tipx pistol, 2 A5's, 2 98 customs, a tippmann pro carbine, and an Icon e. Most have up grades
My kids and wife all play they bring there friends too. So I have a lot of loaners. Just depends on who is playing is what marker I'm using. Last time it was just me and my nine year old who played. He used the sp8 and I went back with the pro carbine.
Fieldpeice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 AM #21
mattlandry2593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Fast learning that buying this stuff is almost as much fun as using it, but with a wife casting the evil eye over the credit card bills, I need to find a happy medium when it comes to pickup up gear.

Initially I thought two markers would be enough for anyone - a primary and a backup in case the primary goes down. For most, that's a rifle and a pistol. But now I'm getting tempted elsewhere. I've got the Phenom as my main, and an SP1 as backup, now looking at pistols and having a hard time between the 8.1 and TipX (not trying to turn this into a "which is better?" thread, though.) And then I start thinking magfed. And then...

So what's the "sweet spot" in terms of collecting, before you cross the line from "I need these" to "I'm just hoarding things"? Primary, sidearm, backup? Or is there more?
I know it's been a while since you posted this but I just got a crossover after having had a project salvo for a while. I wanted it specifically to be able to play speedball. What in particular didn't impress you about it? Can it at least hang with similar priced sport guns?
mattlandry2593 is offline   Reply With Quote