PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM #85
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
It's a hypothesis, nothing more. They're trying to come up with measurable predictions to test it, but that's still a ways off.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM #86
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Thanks Brian Greene.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 PM #87
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
It's a hypothesis, nothing more. They're trying to come up with measurable predictions to test it, but that's still a ways off.
I read somewhere that we can't generate the energy to actually test it, but that could be related to another branch of string theory. My memory is a bit hazy on that one.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:46 AM #88
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I read somewhere that we can't generate the energy to actually test it, but that could be related to another branch of string theory. My memory is a bit hazy on that one.
More troubling than that is the problem of supersymmetry and the evidence against it coming out of CERN.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM #89
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
More troubling than that is the problem of supersymmetry and the evidence against it coming out of CERN.
All I really know about the hardon collider is that it more or less proves the standard model still works.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM #90
F1VENOM

Quote:
All I really know about the hardon collider is that it more or less proves the standard model still works.
I don't know that the standard model for hardon colliding will ever change.

The Hadron Collider on the other hand has indeed reinforced the Standard Model which is good and bad news.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM #91
Iamamartianchurch

Why is that bad
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM #92
F1VENOM

Quote:
Why is that bad
It leaves us with no concrete explanation of gravity, dark matter or neutrino mass and it's generally pretty messy and not nearly as tidy as physicists think the universe is.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM #93
Iamamartianchurch

Oh well? I don't know. I would say we'll figure it out eventually, but I doubt the rate things are going.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:03 PM #94
F1VENOM

Quote:
Oh well? I don't know. I would say we'll figure it out eventually, but I doubt the rate things are going.
We certainly will so long as there's curious people with deep pockets. Unfortunately the science at that level is so far beyond even those of us who've briefly studied it that it's completely lost upon the general public and those who determine funding. Most people I encounter don't even know what photon is or what it does.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM #95
Iamamartianchurch

Some kind of torpedo right?

Yeah thats what I'm getting at. These projects require large budgets, but big revelations are few and far between.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM #96
F1VENOM

Quote:
Some kind of torpedo right?

Yeah thats what I'm getting at. These projects require large budgets, but big revelations are few and far between.
You got it and the LHC has churned out some very good data but it doesn't matter if no one understands it.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM #97
Eric the Fish

Maybe you need to try a new type of math .... Bistromathematics

Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behavior of numbers, Just as Einstein observed that space was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in space and that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in time, so it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.
The first non absolute number is the number of people for whom the table is reserved. This will vary during the course of the first three telephone calls to the restaurant, and then bear no apparent relation to the number of people who actually turn up, or to the number of people who subsequently join them after the show/match/party/gig or to the number of people who leave when they see who else has turned up.
The second non absolute number is the given time of arrival, which is now known to be one of those most bizarre of mathematical concepts, a recipriversexcluson, a number whose existence can only be defined as being anything other than itself in other words, the given time of arrival is the one moment of time at which it is impossible that any member of the party will arrive. Recipriversexclusons now play a vital part in many branches of math, including statistics and accountancy and also form the basic equations used to engineer the Somebody Else's Problem field.
The third and most mysterious piece of non absoluteness of all lies in the relationship between the number of items o... brought to you by Hitch Hikers guide to the Universe lol
Eric the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM #98
scienceguy

Yeah yeah, but that math only works if you have a towel. Which I'm assuming none of us have right now.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote