PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-28-2013, 11:45 PM #1
U S NAVY SEALS

U S NAVY SEALS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
U S NAVY SEALS has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Need some help

Hey there everyone its been about five years since I've played paintball on a regular basis and after going paintball over the weekend it's re amped the love for it again and now I wish to get back into the sport but instead of D2 I am looking to play in woodsball/mil-sim environment. I am currently selling my old markers off and looking at getting something in the mag-fed area. I have been looking at the 468, the DAM, Paradigm and a few others. I was wondering if you guys could give me a pro/con look at these markers. I really love the look of the DAM and the reviews on it are quite good, I like the idea of the switch between mags and hopper for the first strike and also for use in a "normal" paintball environment

Also! Is there any place that is mil-sim in the area of Chicagoland or Grand Rapids michigan?
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 AM #2
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

DAM:
EYES. Pretty much says it all - means no chops, and you can use things like three shot burst etc. if you like. Eyes stop it from dry firing = realism. Very cheap magazines. Can strip it down and it'll do the job on a speedball field with PSP modes etc. Is the best at switching from mag to round.
Cons are no tankstock or air thru stock currently available, mags are 10+10 only so slightly inconvenient to use, it's relatively high maintenance compared to most due to Reflex internals, and is hella $$. Also apparently inefficient (which may explain the lack of tankstock).

468:
Easier maintenance than most, mechanical, I've heard only good things about this one. Tankstocks and air thru's are easily available, and accepts DMags (10+10) along with the usual 20 round rap4 and milsig mags. Has the lok bolt system which acts like eyes but afaik isn't compatible with hopper mode. Also, you have to recock every time the lok bolt engages. Semi only.

Paradigm:
Probably the biggest issue with this one now is that it has no anti chop system. I haven't seen one in person though so I'm only guessing when I say the maintenance probably isn't as easy as the other two above, which exacerbates the anti chop issue. Otherwise it's apparently built like a tank in a good way. Has all the accessories.

Personally I'd lean towards an MKP2 setup. It'll work with a lok bolt (but you don't need to recock every time), supports modes especially with an xboard but you have the option to run pure mech, has ALL the accessories and can be configured to run regular or dmags. Personally I'm waiting for the 30 round (15+15) dmags and then I might pick one up. Also cheap. A big pro for me is that with a tankstock you can use something like the G36 handle as a riser, getting rid of sighting issues in a way that looks the part. For round paint throw on a flatline and you're away.

Of course the magfed industry is just getting started so there are plenty of "wait and see" options right now such as the T15, TGR2, M17, waiting for more dmag sizes, waiting for more DAM accessories... etc., but of course knowing half these companies the timeframe between "announcing the amazing X" and "here, have an X" is about five years.

Last edited by vijil : 07-29-2013 at 03:41 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM #3
Slo poke

The DAM isn't high maintenance. It's like every other gun ( except a Tippmann) clean and relube it after a day of play and it will treat you right for a long time. And the only down side of the DAM is no air in stock option, but it's in the works. I love my DAM and I know it's a little expensive but to me for the price of the mags, $25 a pair it's was worth it, and DYE's customer service is the up there with KEE which is important to me.
Slo poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:02 PM #4
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Cleaning and relube after a day of play counts as high maintenance to most people! Especially those coming from Tippman or Eclipse.

Also I did say relatively. Which it is, like all markers with a lot of orings. Still a great piece though. If there was an air stock and especially some 20 mags (not 10+10) then it would be an easy decision.

Last edited by vijil : 07-29-2013 at 07:02 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 PM #5
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Empire
buddy of mine had a DAM then he got the 468... DAM collected dust then got sold off. If you don't like the idea of the dual stack mags like the DAM mags or Dmags, the 468 can be set up to use the Scarab Arms mags

Dam is a great gun, I'd never knock it but it's only worth the high tag if you want the e trigger and ability to switch mag to hopper

Last edited by sambob117 : 07-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.
sambob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM #6
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I own a DAM and would love to own a 468...but to me they are two totally different markers.

Like Sambob mentioned, the e-trigger and ability to quickly switch from hopper to mag is a big selling point for me. For most games, having the ability to switch from standard hopper fed to mag fed in a heartbeat is a good thing to me. The marker I played with before was a stacked tube mechanical blowback setup to be super accurate for what it was. It had a barrel that would put a backspin on the ball to get a nice, flat tragectory from the round. Most times I liked getting in a position where I could eliminate players from a flanking position but often times found myself going heads up with other players and the fact I could shoot a lot or a little was a good thing.

When First Strike rounds came out, I wanted to use them but considering I needed a marker that was magazine fed to use them, it was a slight turn off because, at the time, if you had a mag fed marker and wanted to use First Strikes, you were limited to shooting from a mag only. Not a problem for mag fed only games but a serious limitation on speedball, recreational, and even scenario games where copious firepower could be beneficial.

This is why I bought the DAM. It's very flexible. If I want to play speedball, take five minutes, pull off the front shrouds, drop the stock, throw in the tool box mag, and I'm good to go. Sceanrio, throw on my optics, my foregrip with bipod, a hopper and a bunch of 10 round mags loaded up with FS, and I'm ready. If I want to go mag fed, grab some 20 round mags, take off the feed neck and replace it with the cover plate that comes with the DAM, and I can use my 10 round mags for FS while I put regular paint in the 20s.

If you're going straight magfed, I like the 468 better. You can do 20 round mags rather than the DAM's 10+10 20 round mags and it is a more realistic looking marker. It breaks apart like a real AR which I adore and makes tearing it down really easy. The only reason I didn't get it was because the DAM was far more flexible and I could only own one of them.

I have talked to 468 owners and they love the gun. Fires well and their lok bolt system works very well. If you go the DMag route, you can get mags for cheap...about $6 each...but you have to get them in packs of 10. Some guns, like the MilSig that shoots First Strikes, have mags that run more than $30 each. So be sure to see what mag prices run. (Note some guns offer different magazine configurations.)

Really, no matter which gun you choose, Dye, RAP4 or MilSig, they are all good guns and all have their plus and minuses. So it boils down to what you want and what you want to spend. Personally, I love my DAM and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Robotech is online now   Reply With Quote