Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-16-2013, 09:58 AM #1
yesme

questions

the gospels of john,luke from the new testament, where are the originals, how did these gospels get into church hands and when were they written?

also is there ANY wrintings speaking of jesus while he was alive, like say any of the romans in the area, did anyone write about jesus while he was alive or just after his death like i have found so far?
yesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 AM #2
yesme

? No one
yesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:37 PM #3
licence2kill
POOP

aliens
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM #4
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
aliens
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 PM #5
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
To answer your second question, no. There are no primary accounts of Jesus.

To answer your first, wikipedia might be a good place to start. The books of the bible were written in what we refer to as manuscripts, the earliest potentially dating as early as 80 CE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Tes..._manuscript s
Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM #6
Eric the Fish

FYI interesting read. Also read some of the Gnostic gospels. IE: Thomas. http://dmc.members.sonic.net/sentinel/naij3.html
Eric the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 AM #7
Menace_pbn

Menace_pbn is playing at Living Legends VII
You have several questions here. These are short and dirty answers, and can be clarified if you are still interested.

1. The originals, i.e., the autographs, do not exist, or, if they do, are unknown. That's pretty common in ancient situations. They would have been copied and passed around pretty extensively, all in the first century. There was already a long-established and exceedingly meticulous mechanism in place to copy manuscripts with a high degree of accuracy.

2. There are hints of documents written shortly after the fact, but in many cases, it would have been highly unusual to have had the kind if instant biographies we now enjoy. There was no real point in writing about someone you could simply go and talk to. It is only after a person dies that the memories are recorded, assuming the person was a figure of great significance. Recall that the life of Socrates, such as we have it, is rendered after the fact. Even the caesars had little or no such luck.

Memories were a lot longer and more accurate, by virtue of necessity, training, and practice, so drafting a memory even decades later would have been no problem. Recall the lyrics to 'Twinkle, twinkle, little star." You probably haven't thought of them for a while, but they can be recalled perfectly. We are sloppy today because we have so much written down, and so can afford to be sloppy. Back then you needed to be able to remember things on a single hearing in order to survive, literally. Whole conversations could be (and were) remembered verbatim over the course of days during typical philosophical conversations, and could easily be remembered for years and decades.

While there are no known writings from during the life of Jesus (nor should we expect there to be, for the above reasons), we do have interesting odds and ends from an antagonistic point of view, such as Roman graffiti from the first century mocking the crucifixion of Jesus.

Some of the gnostic works, such as the gospel of Thomas, purport to record events in Jesus' life, but those were written much, much later, in some cases a couple of hundred years later, and their style and tone is so absurd and anachronistic as to render them unbelievable even if their dates could not be verified.

Again, that's the short version. Hope it helps.
Menace_pbn is offline   Reply With Quote