Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Wouldn't "thou shalt not force thy beliefs onto others" contradict the entirety of Christianity? Christianity is predicated on being true, not convenient or helpful, but absolutely true. Logically, truth should be spread to every single corner of the globe, with society ordered according to it. People are given the choice of free consent to believe it or not, but that does not make the ordering and maintenance of Christian society and individual life any less paramount.
Interesting points. Though I wasn't really aiming on finding a commandment that fit in with historical Christianity, especially since the 10 C's are shared by all Abrahamic religions. Judaism has the same 10, and I've never met a Jew who felt the need to scream at me that I was believing in God the wrong way.

And that's kind of the point of this theoretical 11th (though by order I'd stick it in at position 4, but that's besides the point). If that had been there all along it would have prevented a lot of "Convert or Die" eras, and force the spread of the religions to more of a soft sell.

Quote:
"Thou shalt not consider any person on inferior to another." Here's the problem, we observe, everyday, clear hierarchies in ability. This recognition does not inherently lead one to disrespecting, maiming or killing any other. Those are the actions you want to address. Willful ignorance is not the answer.
I chose my wording very carefully. I deliberately worded it to force a sort of self depreciation. No one is inferior to "you". And it has nothing to do with ability. Say you're a great painter, someone who is a lousy painter is only that, a lousy painter, a not an inferior person (since, obviously, there's something they're better at than you). Disrespect often stems from a belief that you are a better person, in total, than someone, and often for very stupid reasons. I'd say best to just nip that in the bud.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 AM #23
bearhollowhillbilly
Smoky Mountain Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
bearhollowhillbilly plays in the APPA beginner division
The problem with Christianity today is some feel that in order to see people commit to Christ, they must be forced into making that choice. Yea well that seemed to kind of work at some points in history. Today's society is not like that (obviously) and that is something that a lot of Christians don't realize. Yes the goal is for us to spread the Word to the world but we can't force our belief upon them. You can't plant a seed and immediately start pouring water on it expecting the seed to sprout, then when no sprout immediately happens... pour more water onto it. So why is it that we as Christians should do this to non believers when it comes to sharing our faith? Its not an immediate growth that would happen. We can't force our faith onto someone who doesn't want to hear it. I mean, I've read thread after thread in this section and it happens with both sides (Atheistic and Christian) forcing thoughts and beliefs (or lack thereof) and all it does is either make each other mad. It doesn't make you want to change your thoughts right? So as to the "thou shalt not force beliefs onto others" "commandment" Jesus Himself even did not do this, nor did He tell His disciples to as well. Luke 9:4 Jesus told them if the message is not received, move on. Anyways just my thought on this mess.

Smoky Mountain Paintball Facebook Page

Supporter of UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE PAINTBALL

ABSTRACT PAINTBALL
bearhollowhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM #24
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Interesting points. Though I wasn't really aiming on finding a commandment that fit in with historical Christianity, especially since the 10 C's are shared by all Abrahamic religions. Judaism has the same 10, and I've never met a Jew who felt the need to scream at me that I was believing in God the wrong way.
I didn't intend to place it in a historical context. Each Abrahamic faith is predicated on Truth through divine revelation. That means you treat the faith as you would mathematics.

Quote:
And that's kind of the point of this theoretical 11th (though by order I'd stick it in at position 4, but that's besides the point). If that had been there all along it would have prevented a lot of "Convert or Die" eras, and force the spread of the religions to more of a soft sell.
That's how people choose to behave, while blatantly ignoring one of the commandments.

This particular 11th makes the other 10 unenforceable. If we accepted this 11th, the summary would be thus: Here are 10 standards of behavior, but people don't have to follow them if they don't want to.

Quote:
I chose my wording very carefully. I deliberately worded it to force a sort of self depreciation. No one is inferior to "you". And it has nothing to do with ability. Say you're a great painter, someone who is a lousy painter is only that, a lousy painter, a not an inferior person (since, obviously, there's something they're better at than you). Disrespect often stems from a belief that you are a better person, in total, than someone, and often for very stupid reasons. I'd say best to just nip that in the bud.
Inferiority is always contextual, hence ability. Furtwangler was a better conductor than Karajan. Abilities are not equal to each other and each have their place. Recognizing your position relative to others is a healthy practice.

I don't really expect to get through to really get anywhere with this, our perspectives are probably too different.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM #25
Barbara_Walters
I want AR15 mags, PM me

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
Barbara_Walters has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucka T. View Post
11th commandment should be "Believe what you want, as long as you live a good charitable life, it doesn't matter what god you believe in, or if you believe in god at all."
God gave us the choice to believe what we want and don't, however what we decide our eternity rests on that.

The Bible states that living a good and charitable life isnt what gets us into Heaven. Kind acts are great and are very much incorporated into most religions however that's not the ticket to Heaven. There is one one way to Heaven, and that is through Him.

And that last part, I probably don't need to get into that. Because if you guys are in this forum you probably understand the basis of most major religions.
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 PM #26
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
Curious. Got a link to the list? Seems like worthwhile reading.
All 613 commandments (sorry, don't know where I got 617 from)
http://m.chabad.org/library/article_...mmandments.htm
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM #27
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
All 613 commandments (sorry, don't know where I got 617 from)
OK. Thanks. Yes the scriptures are full of examples of how one should or should not behave. A lot of them are more detailed versions of the 1st Ten Commandments.

What would the world be like if we could just do the First 10?

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM #28
Iamamartianchurch

The world would utterly collapse unto itself because a few of those ten are so utterly preposterous if not given a context. Thankfully the rest of the book does provide context.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:23 PM #29
PM6 Scenerio Player
Its spelled correctly!!!

Christopher Wallace already told us what the 11th Commandment was:
"Slip and break the, 11th Commandment Thou shalt not **** with raw C-Poppa"

Sorry couldnt help it.

New York Knicks!!

NY Yankees! 2014
PM6 Scenerio Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 PM #30
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Christianity is predicated on being true, not convenient or helpful, but absolutely true. Logically, truth should be spread to every single corner of the globe, with society ordered according to it. People are given the choice of free consent to believe it or not, but that does not make the ordering and maintenance of Christian society and individual life any less paramount.
And therein lies the problem. Christianity isn't the only ideology that is predicated on being true, absolutely true. Islam, as well as other ideologies, make the same claim. So whose truth is more true?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:18 PM #31
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
And therein lies the problem. Christianity isn't the only ideology that is predicated on being true, absolutely true. Islam, as well as other ideologies, make the same claim. So whose truth is more true?
That's a choice for the people in question. They can choose to accept the faith or choose to reject it. That doesn't change the fact that, from the Christian perspective, ALL will kneel before the cross either by will or compulsion. Your attempt at relativism has no real bearing on the claims Christianity makes. I didnt say they were right in claiming that the religion is absolutely true, i just stated it as a matter of fact.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM #32
Iamamartianchurch

I'll remind you, old timer, that this thread is within the context of Christianity. Questions of the validity of Christianity and it's claims are not appropriate.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:03 PM #33
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
I'll remind you, old timer, that this thread is within the context of Christianity.
Hang on, this thread is NOT within the context of Christianity. That's an assumption. As per the original post it's solely within the context of the 10 Commandments. As such it's potentially within the context of Judaism, or Islam, or Roman Catholicism, or Mormonism, or Baptists, or heck, even the Amish.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 AM #34
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Every religion I am familiar with preaches that only it is right and every other religion is wrong. How many people have been killed over it?

Endless debates over the "interpretation" of scripture. "Translation" of scripture, and so on. Everyone has it right which to me simply means it is most probable that each religion got some of it wrong. Nobody's perfect. How would an interpretation or translation made by man result in perfect?

Most practitioners I am familiar with actually lives their religion only when it is convenient for them. The ones that do are just strange people.

I vote for somewhere in the middle. Which reminds me.

Want to have some fun today? RAK someone. Random Act of Kindness. Just go out of your way to do something NICE for a perfect stranger. Like helping an old lady across the street thing... Yeah! The hard part is finding something NICE to do for someone. The fun part is that person's reaction to you. They vary widely. If by chance you have a discussion with them, tell them they have to RAK two people that same day and tell them the same and so on. In a few months, the world would be a wonderful place....

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 07-31-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM #35
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fub View Post
Hang on, this thread is NOT within the context of Christianity. That's an assumption. As per the original post it's solely within the context of the 10 Commandments. As such it's potentially within the context of Judaism, or Islam, or Roman Catholicism, or Mormonism, or Baptists, or heck, even the Amish.
I always forget Islam and Judaism respects them as well.

I'll restate then. The context of my post, the one which the old man quoted, was dealing specifically with Christianity.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM #36
scienceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
Want to have some fun today? RAK someone. Random Act of Kindness. Just go out of your way to do something NICE for a perfect stranger. Like helping an old lady across the street thing... Yeah! The hard part is finding something NICE to do for someone. The fun part is that person's reaction to you. They vary widely. If by chance you have a discussion with them, tell them they have to RAK two people that same day and tell them the same and so on. In a few months, the world would be a wonderful place....
My kids make me "do karma" all the time. They make me pay for the people behind me in drive through lines and toll booths. I'll buy a Starbucks for someone every other day or so. I'm still waiting for this good karma to come back to me... The Christian "10 fold" thing would be nice. I'm a firm believer in the "no good deed goes unpunished" philosophy though so maybe it's a good thing the karma hasn't come back yet. If nothing else, the 8yr old gets a kick out of it.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM #37
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
If you have to tell yourself to do it, it isn't random.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 AM #38
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The

I don't think 11 is needed but I'd change "Thy shall not kill" to "Thy shall not kill unless it is a atheist"

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so.” - Ronald Reagan

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one." - Alexander Hamilton
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM #39
sucka T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
I don't think 11 is needed but I'd change "Thy shall not kill" to "Thy shall not kill unless it is a atheist"
You are the worst fake christian ever.

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 PM #40
scienceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
If you have to tell yourself to do it, it isn't random.
I disagree. It's random from the other person's perspective.

Secondly, if your choices aren't random, then there are predictable patterns 100% of the time to behavior. Thus no free will. Choice, by its nature is random. Choice breaks a pattern.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 PM #41
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I'll remind you, old timer, that this thread is within the context of Christianity. Questions of the validity of Christianity and it's claims are not appropriate.
Questions of the validity of Christianity are ALWAYS appropriate.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM #42
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucka T. View Post
You are the worst fake christian ever.
Your fragile egg shell existence would have been stamped out during the crusades.

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so.” - Ronald Reagan

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one." - Alexander Hamilton
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote