Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 PM #43
Ryan6789
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Every argument that I have heard about the existence of a 'God' collapses on itself...
Ryan6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 PM #44
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Most arguments in support of the existance of a god usually turns circular:

God is real because the Bible says so. The Bible is correct because it's the word of god.

And so on and so on...
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!

Last edited by PBOldTimer : 06-11-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo
PBOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM #45
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Fish View Post
Quantum Physics , according to some scientists, says there is a type of god. Just not your human bearded male entity somewhere up there. Check the link. Interesting read. http://www.enlightennext.org/magazine/j11/goswami.asp
No.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM #46
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
"For the moment your eyes were closed, did the world still exist even though you weren't conscious of it? How do you know? If this sounds like the kind of unanswerable brain teaser your Philosophy 101 professor used to employ to stretch your philosophical imagination, you might be surprised to discover that there are actually physicists at reputable universities who believe they have answered this question—and their answer, believe it or not, is no."

If these physicists at reputable universities have actually been able to answer this question, then why haven't they recieved the Nobel Prize or something?
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!
PBOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM #47
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
No.
Did you find any physics in that thing or just some guy calling himself a physics PhD? I only made it half way before I called it quits.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 PM #48
snowbandit16
Operations Manager :XOR:
 
snowbandit16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rigby, ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan6789 View Post
Every argument that I have heard about the existence of a 'God' collapses on itself...
they always will. have you read what written above? the only way you can possibly know is by revelation. No mildly intellectual Christian will tell you they believe in God because the Bible says so.
What you will hear, which is almost equally annoying, is "how else could all of this exist?"
But like i said, they need to seek a spiritual revelation or they will never know.
__________________
snowbandit16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 PM #49
Illuminaughty
YOUR DREAMING! WAKE UP!
 
Illuminaughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Illuminaughty has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Personally I believe that religion is the LARGEST MOST ACCEPTED FORM OF MIND CONTROL IN THE WORLD. It keeps people shackled to someone else's moral code. A code designed with domestication of the people in mind. It uses fear and guilt to limit you. I like how the late and great George Carlin put it.

“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money! He's all powerful, all knowing, but he just can't handle MONEY! Now you wanna talk about a good bull**** story.”-- Carlin

I think that WE are god. All of us. You, me, that annoying kid down the street. "God" is not some being that loves and guides us. We must do that ourselves. If you spend your whole life sitting on your ***, "god" is not going to come along and make life amazing. YOU have to make that choice. Even though a lot of people claim that having god in their lives brings them joy, I don't think it's that cut and dry. I think that we are all unconsciously scared of the unknown so we pretend to know the unknown and call it "faith". The act of pretending we know what is going to happen to us when we die and what is "out there" is what makes people with faith happy. It's like little kids telling themselves they have it figured out and everything is going to be ok, when in reality, we have no idea if it's going to be ok or not. We comfort ourselves. It's a delusion, a spell that we cast on ourselves, it's not real.
__________________
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM #50
Slyzo
 
 
Slyzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ohio
Slyzo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Slyzo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Slyzo has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Slyzo has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a hard time believing in God because faith means: "Belief in something without proof or evidence." I really can't have "faith" in something that can not be proven.

I don't want to spend my whole life worshipping something that has no proof of even being real.

I don't see why Jesus can't come down and prove it once and for all. And yes, I've read the Bible verse that basically says "Do not ask for signs of God," blah blah. To me, it just sounds like God wants to ignore proving himself real as much as he can. I know it might sound funny, but if all he did was actually show himself and prove that Christianity was the "real" religion and to actually follow him because now we KNOW he's real... Nope... He can't do that. That wouldn't make it a "mystery" anymore. Instead, you just have to "believe" without evidence. And I don't do that.

Last edited by Slyzo : 10-16-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Slyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 PM #51
Stagger Lee
 
 
Stagger Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyzo View Post
I have a hard time believing in God because faith means: "Belief in something without proof or evidence." I really can't have "faith" in something that can not be proven.

I don't want to spend my whole life worshipping something that has no proof of even being real.

I don't see why Jesus can't come down and prove it once and for all
. And yes, I've read the Bible verse that basically says "Do not ask for signs of God," blah blah. To me, it just sounds like God wants to ignore proving himself real as much as he can. I know it might sound funny, but if all he did was actually show himself and prove that Christianity was the "real" religion and to actually follow him because now we KNOW he's real... Nope... He can't do that. That wouldn't make it a "mystery" anymore. Instead, you just have to "believe" without evidence. And I don't do that.
He already did that
__________________
The heat came 'round and busted me for smiling on a cloudy day
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 PM #52
le823
 
 
le823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newark,DE
le823 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
And somehow things like evolution has never been scientifically proven in a lab. I've never seen any betweeners. Has anyone here ?
__________________
My 100% PoSItIvE FeedBacK 30+
CHRIST KREW
le823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 PM #53
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
He already did that
Do you have proof of that claim?
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!
PBOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:44 PM #54
Treghc
 
 
Treghc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by le823 View Post
And somehow things like evolution has never been scientifically proven in a lab. I've never seen any betweeners. Has anyone here ?


You probably get a cold once or twice a year. Just about the entire human population does. Know why this is? The life of bacteria is extremely short. This allows for mutations to occur at a rapid pace. Bacteria mutates in order to survive. Once your immune system has built up the antibodies to fight out the bad bacteria, that bacteria can't survive unless it mutates to find a new way to attack.

This is evolution. This is random mutations which insure survivability. If the bacteria doesn't find new methods of attack, it dies and ceases to exist. Surely, large portions of this bacteria do die, but the reason why you keep getting sick with the same symptoms is because it's evolving to find new methods of attack.

A good starting point for you to look up scientific studies with evolution would be this experiment here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escheri...riment#Results

I think you're trying to make an argument for macro-evolution (inter-specie changes), in which case you would lose the argument just as easily.
__________________
“But men, they say a lot of foolish things. In the end, the only words I can find to believe in are mine." - Joe

Tarsier Slave


We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM #55
shakeyjonez
In GOD We Trust!
 
shakeyjonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: One Nation Under GOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post


You probably get a cold once or twice a year. Just about the entire human population does. Know why this is? The life of bacteria is extremely short. This allows for mutations to occur at a rapid pace. Bacteria mutates in order to survive. Once your immune system has built up the antibodies to fight out the bad bacteria, that bacteria can't survive unless it mutates to find a new way to attack.

This is evolution. This is random mutations which insure survivability. If the bacteria doesn't find new methods of attack, it dies and ceases to exist. Surely, large portions of this bacteria do die, but the reason why you keep getting sick with the same symptoms is because it's evolving to find new methods of attack.

A good starting point for you to look up scientific studies with evolution would be this experiment here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escheri...riment#Results

I think you're trying to make an argument for macro-evolution (inter-specie changes), in which case you would lose the argument just as easily.
So in other words you don't have any real fossil proof of in between people?

What about the 1.8 million year old Homo erectus ergaster georgicus skulls they found in Georgia (Russia) in 2005? I'd love to hear you explain that one away.
__________________
Holy
Kids


"Love those who hurt you the most, because they are probably the ones closest to you.” ― Nikki Sixx
shakeyjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM #56
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
What exactly is he supposed to explain away?
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM #57
shakeyjonez
In GOD We Trust!
 
shakeyjonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: One Nation Under GOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
What exactly is he supposed to explain away?
Why the features of the 2005 skulls have all the distinguishing features lumped together in one group that were previously thought to identify different groups.
__________________
Holy
Kids


"Love those who hurt you the most, because they are probably the ones closest to you.” ― Nikki Sixx
shakeyjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 PM #58
le823
 
 
le823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newark,DE
le823 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Perhaps the Big Bang was just God creating something out of nothing . I mean he must have had some excitement in creating the universe
__________________
My 100% PoSItIvE FeedBacK 30+
CHRIST KREW
le823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM #59
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjonez View Post
Why the features of the 2005 skulls have all the distinguishing features lumped together in one group that were previously thought to identify different groups.
All of the features? Can you be a bit more precise?
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:06 PM #60
Treghc
 
 
Treghc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjonez View Post
So in other words you don't have any real fossil proof of in between people?

What about the 1.8 million year old Homo erectus ergaster georgicus skulls they found in Georgia (Russia) in 2005? I'd love to hear you explain that one away.
Fossil evidence is not necessary for the theory of evolution to hold true. It's really nothing more than a nice convenience to have them to support the theory.

I'm wondering which transitional fossil you're looking for.




The evolution of birds is probably the most prominent. It's so damned easy to see the dinosaur in them.



Also, the most prominent transitional fossil is probably that of the Tiktaalik. Try reading up.



I ask you this:
Lack of evidence does not mean lack of existence (this is used for the argument of God's existence). But lack of counter-evidence does help solicit belief in something. Where is the counter-evidence for the theory of Evolution? There are mountains upon mountains of research which show evolution to be true. Where's the actual, scientific research which actually shows evolution not to be true?

Hint: There is none. Literally none. At all. Physical evidence for the disproving of the theory of evolution simply does not exist.

I'd also appreciate some actual specifics with your post. This is a delicate subject and should not be generalized by some hokey hearsay.
__________________
“But men, they say a lot of foolish things. In the end, the only words I can find to believe in are mine." - Joe

Tarsier Slave


We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 10-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM #61
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same
 
Mr.Familiar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
I'm just loooking for proof of existance. My parents tried to give me that sort of proof when they took me to see Santa. Why can't god just show himself... show us that he is indeed supernatural.

This would negate the purpose of faith, no?

Turn my car into an elephant and have it poop house-sized diamonds with the wave of his almighty hand. If someone can do that in front of me, I'll get on my knee and yell "praise be!" Hell, I'll even give the diamonds back, I just want to see it done.

Hypothetical: Would you praise this same God if he instead chose to lay waste to your entire family and community via a dangerous strain of flu, like the Spanish Flu which killed millions? He would come down to Earth, right in front of you and display is power, proving his existence. Would you still praise God even if he was inherently evil? Not the hypothetical devil, but God.
.

Btw- Good post Treghc. I really don't see how anyone can't connect the dots with human evolution... It's like watching someone kill your family right in front of you, having the ambulance come to pick them up, a coroner pronouncing their death, have them cremated, and after all that, still refusing to believe they are dead.

However, is it debated that evolution disproves God?
__________________
Twothousandandfour.
Any man who knows a thing, knows that he knows not a damn, damn thing at all. K'Naan

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass

Last edited by Mr.Familiar : 10-21-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Mr.Familiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM #62
shakeyjonez
In GOD We Trust!
 
shakeyjonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: One Nation Under GOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
All of the features? Can you be a bit more precise?
Sure I can. But it's been all over the news of late. I guess Tregh is gonna need some new charts.


http://phys.org/news/2013-10-18m-yea...evolution.html
__________________
Holy
Kids


"Love those who hurt you the most, because they are probably the ones closest to you.” ― Nikki Sixx
shakeyjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM #63
Treghc
 
 
Treghc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjonez View Post
Sure I can. But it's been all over the news of late. I guess Tregh is gonna need some new charts.


http://phys.org/news/2013-10-18m-yea...evolution.html
You do understand this means nothing against the theory of evolution, right? Some evolutionary biologists simply have to redefine their beliefs of how the human species involved.

I did hear about this discovery. It doesn't do anything for your argument that mankind didn't evolve from a common ancestry of apes.

Also, you said "Sure I can," but have yet to give any detailed specifics for your argument. Please, label these specifics and what we're supposed to explain away. All you've given us is a link that means nothing towards your "explain away" argument. What am I supposed to explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Familiar View Post
However, is it debated that evolution disproves God?
Evolution plays no role in determining God's existence.
__________________
“But men, they say a lot of foolish things. In the end, the only words I can find to believe in are mine." - Joe

Tarsier Slave


We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 10-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump