p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Thumbs up I play pro paintball in the NPPL, ask me anything!

I figured this would be a good idea for a thread. Feel free to ask any questions you may have in regard to professional paintball, overall advice, or the sport in general and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have!

My name is Jimmy Hickey and I am 21 years old, have been playing for over half of my life, and currently play with Portland Uprising in the NPPL Pro division. This is my third year with the team, and second year competing with them and it is awesome playing competitive paintball against some of the best players in the world. It's a bummer to see the 7 man format go the way it has these past few seasons, but it is still my preferred format and I hope this new shift in management will help the league progress. I love this sport, and want to help it grow and reach its full potential.

Ask away

Rules:
Please do not PM me questions
Please do not ask about "What gun to buy"
Please read or search the thread before asking your question
Have a nice day

Edit: Front page! here is a little more info about me and Portland Uprisings history- I made this last season

Last edited by p8ntcheck45 : 06-17-2013 at 04:54 AM.
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM #2
whitecow1000
~ skurt ~

what was your 'big break'
whitecow1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 PM #3
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecow1000 View Post
what was your 'big break'
When I first stated working with Pbrack as their staff photographer when I was in HS. I had played on their rookie teams in the XPSL but didn't really get opportunities until I started doing photo work. Pretty much my entire paintball career is based off of that haha

The teams big break, when we reformed back 2010 early 2011 I think was the Naughty Dogs going under and there being a open spot for a Portland Pro team. We had the right things and players lined up and we were able to make it work. The actual start of the the team is a pretty interesting story by itself.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM #4
GetPumped

not including sponsorships where do you get the money to play day in and day out?
GetPumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM #5
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetPumped View Post
not including sponsorships where do you get the money to play day in and day out?
I am a full time professional photographer as well as run a few different businesses that keep me busy and pay the majority of my bills.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM #6
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
Do you only play 7 man?
Who REALLY makes the best gear?

Kick'n Paintball Park
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM #7
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKreeper View Post
Do you only play 7 man?
Who REALLY makes the best gear?
7 man is my preferred format, but I play xball occasionally, most fields in my area are xball fields, so I play those and practice with Seattle Thunder. Did play PSP Dallas with a random divisional team since I am unranked in PSP. Plus pretty much everyone else on my team except for Ryan Tucker plays PSP on a pro or challengers team. Haha weird to think about... DMG, Thunder, Impact, Ironmen...

I enjoy the fast passed games, and the idea behind it, just the fields themselves I don't find myself enjoying the way the games play out or feel...just a personal preference, some layouts I prefer 10 times over others.

And who makes the best gear, that's an easy one! Pbrack, Mac Dev, Virtue and Deadlywind!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM #8
venarius

How much does a Professional Paintball Player make $$$ a year from playing paintball?

Back in the day most tourney big-teams had sponsorships (free gear + amenities) but there was still no paycheck attached to the title. They had to pay their own way to play the sport.

Just wondering if it's changed or the same...
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)

Last edited by venarius : 05-13-2013 at 10:14 PM.
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM #9
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by venarius View Post
How much does a Professional Paintball Player make $$$ a year from playing paintball?

Back in the day most tourney big-teams had sponsorships (free gear + amenities) but there was still no paycheck attached to the title. They had to pay their own way to play the sport.

Just wondering if it's changed or the same...
Not much has changed, though there are certainly a fair bit of salaried players out there but I can't speak for them.

It really varies based on a lot of different things. My team, Portland Uprising, has a pretty grass roots history and although we have some great sponsors, a lot of our expenses are paid out of pocket. It sucks but its the way things are right now for us. As we progress as a team and earn our industry respect we hope for this to change. Another key thing our team lacks is a team owner....lots of big rigs running some of the top pro teams out there.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 AM #10
Crooked Shot

Your gonna regret this thread after I'm done with all my questions lol. Quick background, paintball is not big in my area and I drive over and hour to play paintball every two weeks. (No one to teach anything, learning as I go)

I got a deal on a dm6 off Craigslist, from what people on here have told me is its still great gun today? I see its .4 pounds heavier then a dm12 is .4 pounds all that noticeable?

Next I'm selling my halo too, and stuck between a rotor and a z2. I like everything about the z2 better then the rotor besides looks and battery life. Which one do you think I should get?

In 5 years do you still see these 2 loaders as high ends on a thing of the past like the halo B?

How can I improve my skills at home?

My goal for this summer is to play in at least one tournament, what should I expect?
Crooked Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:37 PM #11
hopper.23
Why Not...

hopper.23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hopper.23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I have also been wondering if there are drills or excersizes you can do at home to improve your skill or ability. I cant really practice snapshooting or laning like how dynasty shows how, mainly because I don't own my own field.
hopper.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 PM #12
Splat209

Splat209 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Splat209 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Splat209 is attending Decay of Nations VI
whats your salary man?

"in the grind, it's my time to shine"

ebay username to see feedback:tperez838
Splat209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM #13
DanMan1990

Getting back into the game

Looking to get back into the game. Haven't played in probably 6 years and used to shoot a SP Ion with ups. Since then as everyone know SP is no more.

Was curious what you would recommend for a marker? If you were going to buy something for < $400 and then build it what would you buy and if you were going to spend > $400 and keep it somewhat stock what would you recommend?
DanMan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 PM #14
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Shot View Post
Your gonna regret this thread after I'm done with all my questions lol. Quick background, paintball is not big in my area and I drive over and hour to play paintball every two weeks. (No one to teach anything, learning as I go)

I got a deal on a dm6 off Craigslist, from what people on here have told me is its still great gun today? I see its .4 pounds heavier then a dm12 is .4 pounds all that noticeable?

Next I'm selling my halo too, and stuck between a rotor and a z2. I like everything about the z2 better then the rotor besides looks and battery life. Which one do you think I should get?

In 5 years do you still see these 2 loaders as high ends on a thing of the past like the halo B?

How can I improve my skills at home?

My goal for this summer is to play in at least one tournament, what should I expect?
Thanks for the message! the DM6 is a great gun and still preforms up to todays standards imo. First national event I used a dm6 and I still own it to this day.
The virtue spire is the best loader on the market, I would highly recommend that, however between the two you listed they both function fine and I have used and owned both, I prefer the Z2 but don't really mind either.

To improve your skills at home just do the basics. Snap yourself in mirrors, practice getting your gun up quick on breakouts, workout and stay physical. Watch tips on youtube, Ryan Greenspan has some great stuff online worth looking into. If you have a backyard and can shoot do some accuracy and snapping drills. Try to finish every practice with at least some simple drills or 1 on 1s if ya can.

Tournaments are a blast, expect a fun day of ball and a challenge! Practice with your team as much as possible and make sure you have have a few separate game plans for both attack and defense based on whats working and what the situation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper.23 View Post
I have also been wondering if there are drills or excersizes you can do at home to improve your skill or ability. I cant really practice snapshooting or laning like how dynasty shows how, mainly because I don't own my own field.
Talk with your field owners, it shouldn't be that difficult to stay on the field in between games and practice your snapping or laning. Even offer to help clean the bunkers or something if they decline. Never been to a field that I imagine wouldn't let that happen. Especially if you have a few guys who want to do it, perhaps before or after a normal practice.
As far as drills at home, the basic stuff is very possible, practicing your snapshooting and draw on the break, as well as sprints & sprints with weights is very possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat209 View Post
whats your salary man?
For playing paintball? Haha zero. Paid in gear, prize money and good times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMan1990 View Post
Looking to get back into the game. Haven't played in probably 6 years and used to shoot a SP Ion with ups. Since then as everyone know SP is no more.

Was curious what you would recommend for a marker? If you were going to buy something for < $400 and then build it what would you buy and if you were going to spend > $400 and keep it somewhat stock what would you recommend?
Buy a used Mac Dev Drone or Clone if you can find one in that price range, they rip! Also Older timmys are cool, always wanted a Dragon! DM6 will get the job done as well. In todays market a lot of $400 guns can compete with $1400 guns.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 PM #15
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Which league do you think is more competitive?

And what do you think about the influx of new pro teams in the NPPL?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 PM #16
Crooked Shot

Thanks for the information ill put it to good use!
Crooked Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM #17
SyntheticEvil13
Punch it, ho-bag!

SyntheticEvil13 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
SyntheticEvil13 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SyntheticEvil13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would like to thank you for your info and input. As a pro player, full-time photographer, and other ventures, I'm sure your days can be busy and even down right hectic. For taking your time and helping us, new and old alike, I salute you. Seriously though, thanks.

PbN BST links for Mississippi

Etek 3 Lt Stormtropper, 68/4500 Ninja, and a Flex8 camo mask f/s.
SyntheticEvil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 PM #18
hopper.23
Why Not...

hopper.23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hopper.23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticEvil13 View Post
I would like to thank you for your info and input. As a pro player, full-time photographer, and other ventures, I'm sure your days can be busy and even down right hectic. For taking your time and helping us, new and old alike, I salute you. Seriously though, thanks.
^^^^^^^^^This

Thank you very much for your response. I will definately talk to my field owner.
hopper.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 AM #19
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Which league do you think is more competitive?

And what do you think about the influx of new pro teams in the NPPL?
The PSP currently has more experienced, powerhouse teams so naturally the PSP has a more competitive team list and overall level of play. Especially with the new challengers division, that is making even top teams have to fight for a position to play against the best in the sport. Not sure what my teammates who play both would have to say on the subject, but I'd imagine they would say PSP as well. Not to talk down on the NPPL level of play, there are plenty of gangsters out there and I certainly wish it was the other way around, it really sucks to have lost so many great pro teams in the off season to PSP...with potentially more before this next event Both formats are very competitive by themselves, especially now that NPPL has a race-to format. But when it simply comes down to the team list, PSP wins no question.

As far as the new pro teams go, I think it's cool for the sport to accept new blood and opportunities for young and up and coming players. A few new teams popping up is cool, but it was surprising to see so many of them this season. Uprising was given a similar chance back in 2011 and great things came from that. Hope to see some of these new teams, less experienced teams step their game up for the next event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Shot View Post
Thanks for the information ill put it to good use!
No problem, and good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticEvil13 View Post
Haha no problem, I love this stuff! I am super busy, but never too busy to help the community that has given me so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper.23 View Post
^^^^^^^^^This

Thank you very much for your response. I will definately talk to my field owner.
You're welcome! It would certainly be worth asking other players or your team to try to organize this as well, the more people interested, the higher likely hood you can use the field for drills, and the better they will be.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 AM #20
ironyusa
reappropriating resources

I have to say, I am impressed with your grammar and punctuation. Most pro players slaughter the English language, but your posts are intelligible and well thought out. to you for coming off as professional. (I'm not a grammar nazi, but I do like to be able to understand what was written.)
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM #21
Pakistani
VCU Rams

Annual Supporting Member
Pakistani is BST Legit
Pakistani is a Paintball photographer
Pakistani owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Pakistani is an NCPA player
Pakistani supports Empire
In your opinion, who is he best player in the pro ranks for either league?

Buy my Cubix DM13 Setup!
Buy my Dye DM9!
Buy my Ninja 68/45 Pro!
Pakistani is online now   Reply With Quote