Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM #1
BigEvil-AO
"MAG WHISPERER"

BigEvil-AO is playing at Living Legends VII
BigEvil-AO has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Student arrested for building airsoft guns in his dorm room

If you think they will stop at banning real guns...then I have a bridge to sell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Post
Hot shot arrested at NYU
By JAMIE SCHRAM, KEVIN FASICK and SELIM ALGAR
He minored in munitions.
Last Updated: 7:51 AM, April 24, 2013
Posted: 2:19 AM, April 24, 2013

An NYU psychology student was busted Monday for allegedly turning his dorm room into an air- rifle factory where he assembled and sold illegal pellet guns used in recreational war games, cops said.

Bernard Goal, 20, of Texas, was arrested in his Lafayette Street student residence after cops found six imitation Colt assault rifles strewn about his dorm room, law-enforcement sources said.

Goal was allegedly buying parts for the weapons online, assembling them, and then selling them online for up to $500 apiece.

Air rifles are illegal in the city, and laws also prohibit selling any imitation guns unless they’re clearly recognizable as toys.

A maintenance worker who entered the dorm room during a routine air-conditioner check spotted the guns on Goal’s bed and alerted campus security.

With Goal present, NYU guards found four more of the replica firearms and called the NYPD.

Police arrested Goal in his room on the 17th floor as his stunned fellow students looked on.

“It’s very scary to know there were guns one floor below me,” said a dorm resident who worked with Goal at the campus fitness center. “I had no idea.”

Still, she described Goal as pleasant and hardworking.

“It’s really shocking,” said dorm resident Nick Metcalfe, 20. “You’re part of a school. You can’t sit around and do crap like this. It’s a weird way to make a living.”

Pellet guns are used in a popular sport called Airsoft, in which contestants shoot each other with small plastic ammunition.

Goal refused to talk to investigators after his arrest, and asked to speak to an attorney.

He was hit with five counts of unlawful possession or sale of replica firearms — Class A misdemeanors that could carry up to a year in prison.

Goal was released last night on $2,000 bail.

“Bernard is a bright and hardworking college student,” his lawyer, Ramsey Hinkle, said last night. “If he had been outside New York City, or in his native Texas, this alleged conduct would not have violated any administrative code.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...omXioKgOUtKNUN

If you live in NYC, then you understand. If you live is a 'free' state, then this will make you scratch your head and say WTF!

It took years for the over the counter sale of paintball guns to become acceptable here. Truthfully, Im not even sure what the law states in specific regards to pb guns, but back in the day the nypd would routinely harass the local paintball stores if they had markers on display.

This poor kid had airsoft guns and will now probably have a record. NY is a joke.

RIP IMPACT PB :(

Last edited by BigEvil-AO : 04-24-2013 at 09:15 AM.
BigEvil-AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 AM #2
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

This is why I am not a fan of those guys who want to make gun-replica paintball guns.

For example, that scenario dreams FN-90 which is a P-90 replica is just asking for an excuse to ban paintball and they are going to drag the guys using bright blue egos with them.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM #3
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Title is misleading, should be

"Student arrested for living in New York"

****ty state is ****ty.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM #4
Cauldronborn66

Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cauldronborn66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It's NY, they and their mayor are insane. I'm hardly worried about paintball guns or airsoft guns being banned elsewhere because of their example.

Here is the story as I read it.

The kid made his first mistake by leaving Texas for NYC, that alone makes him an idiot in my book.

His second mistake was either being unaware of NYC law, or willfully disregarding NYC law. Either way, now there's no doubt he's an idiot.

Third mistake? He leaves his illegal toys in plain sight in a dorm room.

Hopefully since they're misdemeanors, he'll get off with a slap on the wrist. Maybe he'll learn his lesson and transfer to a school in Texas.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM #5
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
The way the article is written annoys me more than the potential punishment. Those student quotes seem very over the top. It was "scary" someone had an airsoft gun? But he should have known he was breaking the law and at the very least been more discreet.

People who store their paintball guns on campus should also make sure they know the campus rules. It would be awful if someone got thrown out of school over a paintball gun.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM #6
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Those student quotes seem very over the top. It was "scary" someone had an airsoft gun?
People in New York enjoy being scared 24/7. That's the only conclusion I've been able to reach after seeing how quick they are to let their idiot mayor walk all over the Constitution repeatedly.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM #7
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
People in New York enjoy being scared 24/7. That's the only conclusion I've been able to reach after seeing how quick they are to let their idiot mayor walk all over the Constitution repeatedly.
There is a lot of money in being a professional victim.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM #8
BigEvil-AO
"MAG WHISPERER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
People play paintball and airsoft all over NY. There are airsoft fields in NY and locally in the surrounding areas. This should not have even been an issue.

We have been stopped by police with our pb stuff before... the usual response from them is 'oh, paintball guns.. can I check them out?'

Craziness like this will bring us back to the bad old days when you had to pretend a pb marker was a real gun.

Im a pro-Second Amendment activist, and NY is LOST, and it's mostly the people down state who allow this crap to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
There is a lot of money in being a professional victim.
AMEN.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM #9
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
its in new york, not worried, not surprised. if it was in any other state i would probably have a different reaction
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:59 AM #10
thevoiceinurhd

Building things and selling them is such a "weird way to make a living". This guy definitely got the shaft
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM #11
Frizzle Fry
AO Micromag Guy

Frizzle Fry is playing at Living Legends III
Frizzle Fry owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The way the article is written annoys me more than the potential punishment. Those student quotes seem very over the top. It was "scary" someone had an airsoft gun? But he should have known he was breaking the law and at the very least been more discreet.
I agree wholeheartedly.

A responsible reporter might mention that airsoft guns are available in every K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Modells, Sports Authority, etc except those located in New York City, for as low as $10.

As for the idiot students, I'd like to see how scared they'd be of some of the knives that are in every kitchen in America. You think a plastic toy gun that shoots tiny plastic BBs is scary, take a look at Ginsu knife.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 AM #12
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

A responsible reporter might mention that airsoft guns are available in every K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Modells, Sports Authority, etc except those located in New York City, for as low as $10.
You can't sell newspapers with rationality.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 PM #13
stingi17
Stay Ruthless.

Annual Supporting Member
stingi17 plays in the PSP
stingi17 supports our troops
stingi17 is an NCPA player
stingi17 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
stingi17 plays in the APPA D4 division
stingi17 is Boss
I mean, he was breaking the law by possessing them in the first place, it sounds like. However, I agree that it does seem pretty over-the-top as well. The student responses were a bit ridiculous.

I know here at UConn paintball guns are not supposed to be in the dorms. However, (and I'm sure it varies by RA), it's definitely a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of policy. As long as the marker isn't sitting on your desk during a room check, and you're responsible about it, there shouldn't be any problems.

What I think he should have done is put everything away when he was leaving the room, that way there wouldn't have been any problems.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM #14
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
he shouldnt have to hide airsoft guns. ppl are stupid and assume anything that looks like a real gun is a real gun. does anyone remember the vid of the ATF agent posted a lil while ago, where the ATF agent said that airsoft guns can be very easily modified to fire real ammo? the ones making and enforcing the laws are clueless to what they are talking about. and **** those ******* students. go hide in your closets pussies!

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM #15
Frizzle Fry
AO Micromag Guy

Frizzle Fry is playing at Living Legends III
Frizzle Fry owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingi17 View Post
I mean, he was breaking the law by possessing them in the first place, it sounds like.
A law that exists almost nowhere else, and that is not known to the general public. I've shared this with three current and former NYC residents since it was posted today and all of them were surprised that the airsoft guns they purchased in NYC (and no, not in China Town) were illegal to possess.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM #16
BigEvil-AO
"MAG WHISPERER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
A law that exists almost nowhere else, and that is not known to the general public. I've shared this with three current and former NYC residents since it was posted today and all of them were surprised that the airsoft guns they purchased in NYC (and no, not in China Town) were illegal to possess.

Also, good luck trying to even get 12gram c02s in NYC. I have to go to NJ to get them or order them.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM #17
dragonight1843

shows where america is going.

Under 18 an buy all my own gear.
dragonight1843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 PM #18
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
The quotes of the other students made me laugh

Kick'n Paintball Park
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 PM #19
BUCK BUCK #1

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN?????
BUCK BUCK #1
I N F A M O U S
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUCK BUCK #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 AM #20
Give Her The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKreeper View Post
The quotes of the other students made me laugh
Exactly, this guy was just trying to make an extra buck making these airsoft guns.

I didn't know these things were illegal in NY. That's pretty stupid.
Give Her The D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 PM #21
JoshC90

JoshC90 supports Team VICIOUS
****in yankies.....

Texas Storm G6R - Ripper Victory - DM9
Support American Made
JoshC90 is offline   Reply With Quote