Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 PM #1
mind91

ASA Thread Damage on New OLED

I noticed some irregular damage to my ASA the other day. It looks as though my tank has been digging itself a new line of threads, while simultaneously destroying the bonnet. I haven't seen anything from like this on any other luxe that I've used and am wondering if it's a manufacturer defect or not. It should be noted that I am not over torquing the tank.

These pictures are the best I can take under the current circumstances
http://i.imgur.com/ajFrsqF
http://i.imgur.com/u2dNHcR

Last edited by mind91 : 07-22-2014 at 03:57 PM.
mind91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 PM #2
CPT@sales
Trades Welcome

Annual Supporting Member
CPT@sales is BST Trusted
I believe I read someone else had this problem, in the thread about "poor milling asa" send it in to Dlx the pitch must be wrong on the asa threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion141 View Post
I sent it back to SmartParts UK/GoG UK and their head tech had to make a threading tool (used to make tools for Formula 1 cars) then continued the threads to where they should have finished. The problem with mine is, it's Contract Killer laser engraved, so they couldn't just swap the asa for a new one, they said they could have sent it back to DLX in the US and got another one done for me, but then that would have meant more waiting time. The leak I fixed my self, was a latch pin oring, I stabbed my self countless times with a pick trying to get the little devil of an oring off haha...

My curators corner
CPT@sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM #3
Hyno

Hyno is playing at Living Legends VII
Hyno plays in the APPA beginner division
OP, I have similar wear on my bonnet, but I don't have any damage to the interior of my ASA. And from your pic, your ASA honestly doesn't appear damaged, but rather the finish just wore off a little.
Hyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 PM #4
mind91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyno View Post
OP, I have similar wear on my bonnet, but I don't have any damage to the interior of my ASA. And from your pic, your ASA honestly doesn't appear damaged, but rather the finish just wore off a little.
It's quite hard to get a decent picture at that angle, but there is damage inside. Like I said, I looks the threads stopped to early and my tank just gouged more know the ASA.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 PM #5
floods
Ph 4:12

floods plays in the PSP
floods plays in the APPA D5 division
I have the same wear on the bonnets of my regs, but no noticeable wear inside the ASA. Subscribed for updates.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 AM #6
Fusion141
FatBobs Fusion 141

Fusion141 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Yup happened to me, stripped the top thread off my pro reg, thought it was my fault by cross threading some how, but did the same again to my Macdev reg extender on my Myth G2. First they(GoG UK) were saying it was my fault and that I should lube the threads on my bottles with white lithium grease to prevent binding, but I said I wasn't happy and sent it back. They fixed it and sent it back a couple of weeks later, they seemed to think there was an issue with the CNC start and stop times, but to be honest it shouldn't happen on a $1000+/1000+ marker I had to buy a new bonnet for my reg and throw away the extender, no compensation other than a bag with a few orings. I was also told they would see if they could get me some DLX freebies as an apology,but didn't get anything.

DLX if you want to send me some thing pm me for my address haha

Last edited by Fusion141 : 07-23-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Fusion141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 AM #7
Hyno

Quote:
Yup happened to me, stripped the top thread off my pro reg, thought it was my fault by cross threading some how, but did the same again to my Macdev reg extender on my Myth G2. First they(GoG UK) were saying it was my fault and that I should lube the threads on my bottles with white lithium grease to prevent binding, but I said I wasn't happy and sent it back. They fixed it and sent it back a couple of weeks later, they seemed to think there was an issue with the CNC start and stop times, but to be honest it shouldn't happen on a $1000+/1000+ marker I had to buy a new bonnet for my reg and throw away the extender, no compensation other than a bag with a few orings. I was also told they would see if they could get me some DLX freebies as an apology,but didn't get anything.

DLX if you want to send me some thing pm me for my address haha
Did they put a new ASA on there or what exactly was their "fix" ??
Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM #8
Fusion141
FatBobs Fusion 141

GoG UK's head tech was a mechanical engineer so has a back ground in tool making. He made a tool to re-cut the threads following the thread already there and extended them to where they should have finished, basically they told me the programming was either wrong and started/finished before it should have which meant less cut thread or it wasn't in the jig correctly which resulted in less thread been cut. Normally your bottle should stop when it reaches a certain point, but because there wasn't enough thread, there was no stopping point until your top thread on your bottle was fubar'd

I also took his advice and lubed my regs with a little white lithium grease, I actually found it beneficial, as the bottle goes on a little more smoothly and comes off the same and not only on my Luxe but my LV1 as well

Last edited by Fusion141 : 07-23-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM #9
BatmanLiera

poor quality control if you ask me
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM #10
lettucecheesecake

How come you've got an oring in the asa if you've got a pro reg? Or is it to stop it making it worse?
lettucecheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 PM #11
mind91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettucecheesecake View Post
How come you've got an oring in the asa if you've got a pro reg? Or is it to stop it making it worse?
It's in there to stop the tank from screwing in completely, and hopefully stopping any damage
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM #12
Hyno

Quote:
GoG UK's head tech was a mechanical engineer so has a back ground in tool making. He made a tool to re-cut the threads following the thread already there and extended them to where they should have finished, basically they told me the programming was either wrong and started/finished before it should have which meant less cut thread or it wasn't in the jig correctly which resulted in less thread been cut. Normally your bottle should stop when it reaches a certain point, but because there wasn't enough thread, there was no stopping point until your top thread on your bottle was fubar'd

I also took his advice and lubed my regs with a little white lithium grease, I actually found it beneficial, as the bottle goes on a little more smoothly and comes off the same and not only on my Luxe but my LV1 as well
Hmm, makes me wonder about my ASA. I had a brand new 77ci SL and after the very first time I put my tank in my OLED, it came out pretty much identical to yours. I had never experienced it before on any of my other ninja tanks with other markers I've owned in the past. I never really thought anything of it, but if your situation ended up confirming that there was indeed an error in the threading of the ASA, it now makes me wonder about the threading in mine.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM #13
mind91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyno View Post
Hmm, makes me wonder about my ASA. I had a brand new 77ci SL and after the very first time I put my tank in my OLED, it came out pretty much identical to yours. I had never experienced it before on any of my other ninja tanks with other markers I've owned in the past. I never really thought anything of it, but if your situation ended up confirming that there was indeed an error in the threading of the ASA, it now makes me wonder about the threading in mine.
I've now spoken to 4-5 people who have similar ASA wear. I also spoke to someone from ninja and assured me that the wear on the tank threads is normal. Seems to be a manufacturing issue with DLX. Will call them in a bit and report back.

Last edited by mind91 : 07-23-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 AM #14
Fusion141
FatBobs Fusion 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind91 View Post
I've now spoken to 4-5 people who have similar ASA wear. I also spoke to someone from ninja and assured me that the wear on the tank threads is normal. Seems to be a manufacturing issue with DLX. Will call them in a bit and report back.
Both Reg and extender were brand new on mine, the threads aren't worn, they are flattened in exactly the same place, I sent both along with my Luxe as proof, so they couldn't say it was ware as photos can some times look unconvincing, plus I work in a paintball store, so I was a little more credible
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM #15
Hyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind91 View Post
Will call them in a bit and report back.
So what happened?
Old Today, 04:30 PM #16
mind91

Update for those that are following:

I spoke to a rep from Ninja who assured me that due to the soft nature of aluminum, the wear on my bonnet was indeed normal.

I've waited off on contacting DLX to make sure there was actually some soft of problem. Since I noticed I've used my marker about 3-4 times and have not noticed any further wear/damage. Even if the programming was off for their CNC/tapping machine, the tank would only be able to 'dig' into the Luxe ASA until the bonnet made contact with the flat-face interior of the ASA. If you similar wear I wouldn't worry unless the tank isn't secure or if there is an unexplained leak.

Alright so good morning guys, sorry I didn't catch this last night. Anyway, there are no compatibility issues between the Luxe ASA and a Ninja regulator. We machine and manufacture all of our products to ASTM standards. Our bonnet is the standard 825-14NGO thread which is used in our industry for male ASA fittings (female ASA's are 830-14NGO which the 825-14NGO screws into).
That being said, I took a look at your picture and it looks like the anno was worn off of the top thread there. Perfectly normal and will not damage your ASA or your reg.
Keep in mind that aluminum by nature is a soft metal which is why we don't recommend it on non-venting ASA's. However aluminum is extremely light and makes the system lighter which is why we use it on our PRO regs. We figured most individuals going for a PRO style reg are using markers with venting ASA's and with a venting ASA and proper installation and removal you shouldn't have any issues at all.
What we notice often as well is that people often screw their air system into their markers ASA incorrectly. You don't want to screw your air system into your marker with the marker pointing down and instead want to screw them in where the marker and tank are level. What happens when you screw the air system into your marker is gravity takes control a bit and if you are off slightly it can cause the bonnet to get crosstrheaded or cause the threads to not catch and wear off the anno because it isn't lining up exactly with the ASA threads. Remember to let the threads catch and "pull" the air system into the ASA, don't force it.
So to exactly answer your question, no that is normal and will not damage your luxe so long as it is installed correctly. (that would apply to any reg on the market)