Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 PM #1
undeadpuppetshow

new guy has question

Alright so I played quite a bit when I was younger and then stopped but now my older brother is looking to start playing regularly and is making a team. I already found the marker I plan on starting with but I have never bought any paintball gear before and don't know how to make sure the things I get will actually fit with the marker. I am starting with a azodin ATS+ but I don't have a hopper or a CO2/HPA tank or anything else yet. I was wanting to get a remote coil line for the CO2/HPA tank but I wasn't sure if any line would fit or if I would need to find a specific one. Same with the tank, I wasn't sure if any would work or if I needed something specific. I know that the manual for the marker and the online description says BOTTOM ASA: INTERCHANGEABLE WITH DOVETAIL MOUNT. Also any suggestions for a tank holder for my back or masks would be appreciated I know when I have rented one before I always had the problem of the "nonfogging" masks fogging up bad enough that I couldn't see at all.
undeadpuppetshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 PM #2
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Okay, I'll address your questions comprehensively.
Congratulations on getting into paintball! You won't soon be leaving, so hang on for the ride. Now that the intros are over with...

You said you have a marker, or you're planning on buying one? The ATS+ is an excellent beginner marker, I've always had good luck with Azodins. The ASA is interchangeable with aftermarket ASAs that slide onto dovetails, like varying Custom Products (CP) models. But, if I understand it, your question was if any HPA/CO2 tank will fit on your marker. Yes. The answer is yes. There are a few oddball tanks out there, but as long as you buy something from Ninja or another company, you'll have a tank that is perfect for your marker.
I'd steer clear of remotes, but if you're really set then there really isn't much of a difference between the different brands. I use a Kingman when I do run one, and it's got all the bells and whistles that the next one would have. I'd get Tippmann or Kingman. Can't go wrong there.
As for tank pouches and pod packs, I use a Tippmann vest and that works very well. I have all my crap to eat and fix my guns and everything in the front of the vest and my ammo in the back. The tank is also in the back, and because the weight is distributed, it makes it easier to move around.

Ahh, masks. The all-important subject of masks. I'll let other people handle that, I have very distinct opinions on masks. (Unlike most people, I don't like JT masks. )

Hope that helps, if you ever have questions, you can PM me!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 PM #3
undeadpuppetshow

I already paid for the marker but the payment hasn't gone through yet so still waiting for it to be confirmed and then shipped. Also the reason I wanted the remote coil was because when I did play before I always had the problem of the tank always getting slammed into my ribs and since I am pretty scrawny it would bruise a lot and sometimes I would come close to cracking ribs from taking cover against a wall too hard. Also I would still like to hear your opinion on a mask if you don't mind.
undeadpuppetshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM #4
jazz1
Death by Snoo-Snoo

Annual Supporting Member
jazz1 is a Supporting Member
jazz1 is a founding member
jazz1 is Immortal
to get the best feel you really have to try on the masks. the better ones are gonna be pretty spendy, around 100 bucks, good news is that they come with anti-fog/thermal lenses for the most part. you'll have to see what you like about stuff like coverage, fit, the way it looks etc. hopefully you have a proshop near you so you could try it out.

also, welcome to paintball

Sadistik
jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Okay, my opinions on masks: Different masks are WAAAY overrated. I've played with everything from Brass Eagle (very dangerous, don't EVER do that!) to Profits to I4s, and I haven't noticed a considerable difference between a $20 mask and a $120 mask. I wear an X-Armor Impact II, one of the better designed masks I've seen out there. It's a Wal-Mart mask. So, while most people will tell you that getting a good mask is everything (and in a lot of ways, it is) just get one that's comfortable. A lot of my friends run the Tippmann and JT masks and like them just fine.
I dunno. Just personal preference, I don't have anything against any company, I just dislike all the hype about masks being better than others.
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM #6
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Every tank will thread into every ASA. You may want to check operating pressure of the marker compared to output pressure of the tank. there are low and high pressure HPA tanks (low is 450psi high is 800psi roughly) you'll want to make sure you get the right output for your marker. I don't know what the azodins run on. (co2 is all 800 psi output)

As far as tank holders go I like NXe (now owned by tippmann) because of bang for your buck. Most everybody that makes vests well (exception of GenXGlobal, rap 4, and everyone else that copies that same vest. Its cheap but it wobbles).

As far as masks go I like Vforce but Dye, Proto, Empire, JT, and sly also make good stuff
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM #7
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 posts videos on PbNation
rjsonne54 is an NCPA player
rjsonne54 plays in the APPA D4 division
rjsonne54 is a top reviewer
rjsonne54 is Legendary
My two cents on a mask:
I first bought a Tipmann 420 for 20 bucks. I hated it. Was not comfortable at all, hurt my ears if I wore it for more than 20 minutes, and it fogged up terribly. Then I bought a used dye I4 for 80 bucks. Great decision. It is really comfortable and has not fogged up on me, and I have played in the rain, sun, cold, etc. If you are a smaller person it is a great mask because it is a smaller mask. So I really think there is a difference between 20 dollar masks and 100 dollar masks.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
rjsonne54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM #8
camstan9

camstan9 supports Team VICIOUS
Huge difference in masks.size,hard or soft rubber,echo of your own voice,protection on ears,type of foam,fit on your own head,breathe ability ,accessories ,etc..the list goes on.so yes,there are huge differences in masks.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 AM #9
andyf1008

andyf1008 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
andyf1008 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't get a $20 mask and don't buy anything except groceries from Walmart.
For a mask start with a minium of $40 and up. I like my Vforce profilers ($75).
Don't be afraid to go up to $80 or more for a good mask. Even if its the most expensive gear you have. You want a mask that's light, has good visibility and is comfortable.

If you can't happily wear your mask all day you can't happily play paintball all day.

ansgear.com is a good place to start looking at gear. According to them the ATS is Spider threaded so if your looking at after market barrels you want to make sure it's a Spider threaded. The feedback looks like it needs a collar. It also operates at 800psi so you want to make sure you get a high pressure reg for a high pressure air tank or a normal C02 tank will be fine.

And FYI. When you want are ready swap out that gun look at the invert mini. You can get one used at $150-$200 and they are made to fit the smaller players.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 AM #10
ttimberlak443
aaaaaaaand its gone

ttimberlak443 supports Team VICIOUS
ttimberlak443 posts videos on PbNation
ttimberlak443 plays in the APPA beginner division
ttimberlak443 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The Azodin ATS+ was a good choice, although if it were me I would have gotten the ATS, not the ATS+ because I'm not a huge fan of stocks and shrouds on paintball markers. In my opinion it is just added weight and more to clean at the end of the day. That is all personal opinion.

First off, lets address the tank because I haven't really seen too much on that yet. Please, for the love of god, get an HPA tank. If you want to keep it cheap just pick up a 48/3000 PSI HPA tank. The ATS+ is designed for high pressure if I am not mistaken. HPA is more consistent and better for your marker than CO2 and just easier in general. It's easier fills and you can see how much air you have left.

For remote lines, you can use pretty much anything you want. I'd probably look for an On/Off line because it is easier to remove the tank and is easier on the threads. I personally don't really like remote lines because it could get stuck on something and makes it much more difficult to switch hands (which you will find yourself wanting to do as you play more).

In my honest opinion, a good mask is the most important piece of equipment. It is not only your protection, but is a game changing piece of equipment. It makes sure nothing hits you in the eyes, ears, and mouth. The more you pay, the more features you get like quick lens changing. JT ProFlexes are cheap and good masks, although you may want to wear a beanie with them because ear protection is sub-par.

I'd rather have a good mask that I can communicate and hear my teammates than a shooting marker. My reasoning behind this is because I can be a second set of eyes for them and let them know and vice-versa. If you can hear them then you can move up and grab the flag, be a distraction for them, etc.

In the end its all up to you, but just be sure to be safe and have fun.
ttimberlak443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM #11
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadpuppetshow View Post
I already paid for the marker but the payment hasn't gone through yet so still waiting for it to be confirmed and then shipped. Also the reason I wanted the remote coil was because when I did play before I always had the problem of the tank always getting slammed into my ribs and since I am pretty scrawny it would bruise a lot and sometimes I would come close to cracking ribs from taking cover against a wall too hard. Also I would still like to hear your opinion on a mask if you don't mind.
I would strongly suggest against a remote line. The general purpose for them is to remove some of the weight from set-ups that are already heavy. Typical in tactical play. But for the marker you have it is really unnecessary and will limit your mobility.
Now as for these bruises, it sounds like you are playing/holding youe marker wrong. If you are getting bruises on your ribs from the tank when you duck into cover you are DEFINITELY doing something wrong. At no point should you be landing or slamming that hard into your marker ever. Keep you marker away from you body when you slide or run to cover.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM #12
Vhyrus

i wish i had seen this earlier. its probably too late but if you can you might want to switch your gun to a gog g1. for not a lot more money you get a much better performing marker. as far as masks, you can get a thermal proto switch for 50 bucks which is a great mask for the money.
Vhyrus is offline   Reply With Quote