Community Focus

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM #1
MCGRITTLES04

MCGRITTLES04 is playing at Living Legends VII
MCGRITTLES04 supports Team VICIOUS
MCGRITTLES04 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MCGRITTLES04 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hows my set up for budget balling?

Im just getting into paintball and found some cheap beginner stuff.

Viewloader Charger - i know viewloaders not known for great guns but this things gone up against a bob long and an ego.

JT ER2 Pump Paintball Pistol Kit - Smoke
20oz co2 - i understand that i should go hpa
gravity loader
ER Extreme Rage Overdrive V2.0 Paintball Hopper - Black
Paintball Xtreme Rage Xray Single Lens Anti-Fog Mask/Goggle
Eclipse 07 Distortion Jersey XXL - BL Y
Planet Eclipse Ink Headwrap - White
3Skull Folding Battle Swab Paintball Squeegee - Red
NXE Barrel Cover (Black)
GXG Paintball 2 Pod Pack Hauler + 2 100 Round Pods - Black
and some cheap walmart snowpants
MCGRITTLES04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM #2
White Devil
El Jefe

Annual Supporting Member
White Devil supports Team VICIOUS
White Devil posts videos on PbNation
White Devil supports Pev's Paintball
Thats some pretty extreme budget balling, but what ever gets you out there more!

I would recommend the tracer or sl-68II over the JT er2 if you are interested in a pump. I have never used the jt er2, but I don't really think it's meant for extended, rugged use. If you want a pistol, I would definitely recommend to bite the bullet and get a tipx/t8.1. Otherwise a secondary pistol is pretty unnecessary. Don't go for a viewloader, unless you really like it.

I would spend a little more on your marker so it would last a lot longer and function a whole lot better. Look at Azodin, even better but a little more, GOG. Look at the eNMEy. It's similar to the viewloader your looking at, but more consistent and better.

I would strongly reccomend hpa over CO2 aswell. You can get a 48/3k hpa tank brand new for $50 (Ninja with adjustable reg) from ANSGear. HPA is more consistent and better for your guns, even if you decide to get a cheaper gun.

As far as a jersey goes, don't really worry about it. They help, but if you are on this tight of a budget, drop it. Headwraps are only if you want one, if you are on a budget, just wear a hat, bandana or beanie, no need to buy one. I personally don't wear one when I play, because it makes me hotter.
If you are getting cheap snow pants, I would make sure you get some knee pads. Actually, get knee pads no matter what pants you decide on.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me. Hope I helped!

Keep in mind, this is just my advice, so do whatever you want to.
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM #3
Wheeldogg
Sam

Wheeldogg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wheeldogg owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Wheeldogg has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yes I would defiantly spend a little more on the marker and mask

Recball Videos (add yours today!)
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3927913
Wheeldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM #4
Hammar

MCGRITTLES04, it's tough playing against people with significantly better gear... that being said it's important to realize 'it's the indian not the arrow.'

If you can increase your skills, you will do better with your current gear. It's more important to be good than it is to have good gear. Anyone who has played long enough has been in at least a few rec games where someone with a really slow marker has dominated guys with comparable markers or beaten guys with much better markers.

Your setup is basic and definitely puts you at a disadvantage against people using anything other than a comparably basic setup, but as long as you can play then it's all good. Best thing you can do is just practice your snap shooting, shooting on the move, sprinting and sliding/diving. Save some money so that when you're skills are better you can buy some better gear.

Last edited by Hammar : 04-08-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 PM #5
White Devil
El Jefe

Annual Supporting Member
All valid points. I play pump, so I am well aware of the "Indian not the arrow" type of notion. With that being said, I believe he would benefit more from having hpa and an eNMEy vs co2 and the viewloader. The eNMEy is comparable price to the viewloader, and a much better marker too.

I haven't heard anything good about the viewloader, and we are all well aware of the disadvantages of co2.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM #6
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
Get an air tank, eNMey, and good mask
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 AM #7
Kbug
O.M.G.

Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
Lol, not trying to be a dick here, but your jersey and headwrap are probably worth more than your setup. I'd ditch the jersey and headwrap. Just wear a beanie or a hat, it helps the mask stay on your head better, gives a little bit better protection for your head, and keeps paint out of your hair. The first thing you should get is a good mask. Proflexs aren't too expensive, and are really comfortable and never fog on me. Then, upgrade to HPA. After that, marker, hopper, pod pack, and any other gear you want. The er2 isn't made to be used real hard. For a cheap but reliable pump, check out the Tippmann SL-68 ll or the Empire Traccer. You can also look at getting an autococker with a pump kit. You can pick up a Trilogy for pretty cheap, and they aren't bad (my pump is a converted Trilogy Pro).

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM #8
Wheeldogg
Sam

Wheeldogg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wheeldogg owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Wheeldogg has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
When I started I wore a tshirt and shorts with no pod pack because you really don't need that stuff if you are budget balling. Just get a decent marker like the one listed a hopper gravity will work ( seriously unless you play I a tournament you don't need to shoot faster than gravity fed) an Hpa steely, and a good mask( proto fs switch works well for me)

After that just work on your skills and then once you are relatively good you can buy a nice setup and thank the people here giving you advice for Savin you from wasting money on low end crap. I wish I had asked becaus I have lots of money that I spent on bad stuff that was useless.

Recball Videos (add yours today!)
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3927913
Wheeldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM #9
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
compressed air isn't needed for low end markers, it is in fact a waste of money if you are trying to play cheap.

Wear regular clothes, and get your gear used. Me personally I use Tippmanns as they are easy to find, super easy to work on, and work really well. And they love Co2. Then learn to buy good paint, as that is the single biggest factor in your accuracy. And go play! the ER2 looks like a pretty poor marker in my opinion... (it looks like it is all plastic). You would be better off with a 98 custom which you should be able to pick up used on clist for around $50. (typically with stuff too, like your pod holder, and a mask). Just get a new lens if you buy a used mask.

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 PM #10
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
The Charger is a surprisingly capable little gun, if you treat it right. Now it hasn't been made in a while, so I bet you're looking at a used one. In that case MAKE SURE YOU SEE IT SHOOT BEFORE YOU BUY. Being an inexpensive gun it tends to be people's first gun, and new players (by definition) have no clue what they're doing. A guy I work with picked up two similar guns for cheap and I had to replace quite a few parts that were completely missing before they'd function properly.

Now the Charger does have an electronic grip (which you'll be using in semi-auto most of the time), and a fairly good trigger pull. It will be easy to out run a non-motorized hopper, even on short bursts. The hopper is one of the most overlooked parts of gear when it comes to budget balling. Mask and hopper are the two things you shouldn't be afraid of overspending on. Give me the cheapest plastic blowback ever and I'll gladly shoot it all day if it has a good hopper on it to prevent chops. The Overdrive you listed feeds quite well and will definitely keep up with the gun, even on it's 12 bps full auto, but it has an annoying design quirk. It's constantly on. If possible try to get the "Sonic" or "DB" version, which is sound activated and only runs when the gun is firing. Saves a ton on batteries and doesn't drive you bonkers over a long game.

The ER2, while yes nearly entirely plastic, is actually pretty well made. Got a few nice features built into it as well (dual detents for example to prevent both double feeding and roll outs). Only real issue is gas efficiency. You'll get 20 shots off a 12 gram CO2 cartridge, on a good day. However if you got a bunch of players all using them it makes for a hell of a fun game.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM #11
White Devil
El Jefe

Annual Supporting Member
I still think his setup should be an eNMEy, primo, mask (grillz, flex, events, whatever he likes) and hpa steely (50 bucks new, only ~$25 more than a 20oz CO2 and much better for the marker and more consistent).

The eNMEy can operate on CO2 also if we he wants to get CO2 to start off with, then upgrade to hpa later on.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM #12
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Don't wear snowpants you will boil alive. Don't get the jersey or headwrap, spend that money on decent pants and a much better mask at the VERY least.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 PM #13
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
I still think his setup should be...
It doesn't matter what YOU think, or what I think, it's all about what HE wants.

Trust me, it helps no one to suggest completely different things than what he's already found. Very counterproductive in fact.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM #14
Kbug
O.M.G.

Kbug supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise
compressed air isn't needed for low end markers, it is in fact a waste of money if you are trying to play cheap.
A new steelie tank is $40-$50. A new CO2 tank is probably somewhere around $20. Compressed air is cheaper to fill, more consistent, doesn't freeze, and a steelie tank doesn't cost that much more than a CO2 tank. A low-end marker can shoot CO2 and not break down, but compressed air will still be better.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 PM #15
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbug View Post
A new steelie tank is $40-$50. A new CO2 tank is probably somewhere around $20. Compressed air is cheaper to fill, more consistent, doesn't freeze, and a steelie tank doesn't cost that much more than a CO2 tank. A low-end marker can shoot CO2 and not break down, but compressed air will still be better.
There are a few categories where a steel HPA tank is considerably worse than a CO2 tank. Fill availability for one. The OP could be looking to do mostly games with friends on his back 40, and not have a field or shop anywhere near by. Second, and this is also more of a problem for players not at a traditional field, is shot count. A 48/3K will get around 400 shots on a blowback, the same as a very small 9oz CO2. A 20 oz will get over double that. A player who buys a case of paint for a weekend of backyard ball and wants to have enough air to shoot all of it would need a pair of 20 oz CO2s, or FOUR steel HPA tanks. And finally weight and size is a fairly major concern. A steel HPA tank is larger, longer, wider, and heavier than an aluminum 20 oz.

Now the situation can render many of these moot (the OP could be a rather large strong player who only plays at the local field), but these do have to be taken into consideration.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 PM #16
Kbug
O.M.G.

Kbug supports Empire
A "steelie" tank is made of aluminum too, they are just commonly called steelies. And you don't have to get a 48/3000, because I admit they don't hold much air. You can get a 62/3000 steelie, or I've seen some 68/3000 steelies before. Obviously the best thing would be a 4500 tank, but those can be expensive

Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM #17
MCGRITTLES04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbug View Post
Lol, not trying to be a dick here, but your jersey and headwrap are probably worth more than your setup. I'd ditch the jersey and headwrap.
got them for like ten bucks. on total this set up was 100 dollars.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM #18
Raeven
Politeness isn't weakness

Raeven supports Pev's Paintball
Raeven has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If anything, I'd slurge a little on gogs. There's really not much worse than being ready to play, playing one game and already getting fogged up. The ability (or inability) to see makes a huge difference in the "fun factor" when playing.
Raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM #19
MCGRITTLES04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeven View Post
If anything, I'd slurge a little on gogs. There's really not much worse than being ready to play, playing one game and already getting fogged up. The ability (or inability) to see makes a huge difference in the "fun factor" when playing.
i've been looking at getting a vforce profiler sometime in the future
Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 PM #20
Raeven
Politeness isn't weakness

Raeven supports Pev's Paintball
Raeven has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGRITTLES04 View Post
i've been looking at getting a vforce profiler sometime in the future
Good choice. I have several pair although I switched to i4's.

I believe they make dual pane lenses for them now but I still have the single pane. Sometimes I would still get some fogging so I drilled holes to ventilate right above the breathing area and I haven't fogged since. Ever.
You might not want/have to do that though. I found it works for me. We get pretty humid in the valley here.

Raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 PM #21
MCGRITTLES04

since were on the topic of masks right now, i just got a save phace mask for my bday from some buddies. i havent heard anything favoring these masks because they break. but of the two masks i have right now which do you think would be better to play with.