Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 AM #1
bth9461

Quest for a Bigger Badder Karnivor? Need to put Meat back on the Menu.

Ok I think I have found what I would really like to do for my main Gun in this modern era of Paintball.

I really like the looks of the WGP Karnivor. Calling upon the collective knowledge of PB nation to help me with my quest.

From some previous research I think I would really like to build a Custom Karnivor. Not sure when I will start this project.

I might start collecting parts or a base gun soon though.

I have never built a paintball gun before, so I am sure I will be asking some stupid questions. I am also thinking I will employ a superior Cocker Tech to put the project together. I see myself in the role of Designer, Scrounger, and Project Manager. The actual building I want a craftsman to handle this.

Can a gun's finish be stripped and re ano'd whithout hurting it? Or do I need to find a body that is unfinished. I really want a really nice looking gun.

Cosidering that the modern game has gone into a limited BPS mode, rate of fire is really not very important. This gun only needs to shoot maybe 10 to 15 BPS but needs to be adjustable for different modes and rates (it can shoot faster but needs to be able to be set at the lower rates). What I really want is a very smooth shot, accuracy, and consistency at the crony. Shots per tank is really not a big concern, I will take it if it does not hurt the gun's preformance in the other areas though.

I have plenty of barrels (all sizing kits) to use, so the barrel is really of no concern. Just the gun.

Some features I have decided on already unless someone can suggest a better way. What has been recomended so far from a VS thread is this.

Karnivor over a BM 05 as the base gun.

E2 (looks like some have a enclosed solenoids)
MQ2'd

From this point what would you suggest for any modification from stock? Especially if some of the after market products or other guns (Eclipse/Nexus/Besales/ect had better components)

Should I go to a Yakuza Brd? or will any of the E2's work just fine?

Should I start with a complete gun? a project (non functioning gun)? Or a Body and collect all the parts needed?

Not expecting this to be a cheap project, only going to do this once, so willing to spend to make it as perfect as can be.
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 AM #2
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Stay away from the Yakuza board.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM #3
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Stay away from the Yakuza board.
Are they that bad?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 AM #4
hmcl281

has been a member for 10 years
the screen are know to go out
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM #5
Dk-79
SCHWING!

That's one tall can of worms, and there's a lot of things on a stock karni that don't need changing to get what you want. Even a bone stock one will be smooth, fast, efficient, and an all around joy to shoot.

However, some things aren't that great IMO. I feel that eclipse/belsales rams with QEV's feel better than the MP4/STO. The stock tickler is great, but an AKA SCMIII is better.

The list carries on in this way for a good long while. The karni was the top of the line WGP at the peak of their business, so there's not a whole lot that really needs changing other than personal preferences.

If you want something unique, get your MQ2 and mate it all up with a unique trigger frame. Like an ego or UL, and then get the whole thing match anno'd.

Jurassic goo is a good color combo that will excite all the old autococker guys.
Dk-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM #6
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcl281 View Post
the screen are know to go out
Can you cap balls at 10/12/13 with a zero b or E2 brd? With just the brd settings. Or do you need to do something with gun settings combined with the brd. Sort of trial and error method over a crony?

That seems to be the advantage of the Yakuza, if this was explained to me correctly. Not sure if the guy was talking about just a E1 brd limitations, or if the zero b and E2 also had this problem. I have never used any of these e bladed cockers.

I understand the Yakuza is a crap shoot and the C/S is not very good.

What about the UTB? I don't mind a LED brd. Do they work? They only cost about $55. Is this company good to work with. The brd seems to have all the settings you need.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:51 PM #7
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dk-79 View Post
That's one tall can of worms, and there's a lot of things on a stock karni that don't need changing to get what you want. Even a bone stock one will be smooth, fast, efficient, and an all around joy to shoot.

However, some things aren't that great IMO. I feel that eclipse/belsales rams with QEV's feel better than the MP4/STO. The stock tickler is great, but an AKA SCMIII is better.

The list carries on in this way for a good long while. The karni was the top of the line WGP at the peak of their business, so there's not a whole lot that really needs changing other than personal preferences.

If you want something unique, get your MQ2 and mate it all up with a unique trigger frame. Like an ego or UL, and then get the whole thing match anno'd.

Jurassic goo is a good color combo that will excite all the old autococker guys.
Hey I am fishing for ideas and expanding on the Karni suggestion. Several have recomended it as a great platform for holding its own with modern electro's. I have a nice Mech B/M but wanted a electro A/C also. The other consideration is a TCPX Custom built gun. Though I like the Karni body better.

As for the MQ2 thing, well I might need to play without that for a while. I am finding it very hard to find them. I was also thinking what if I have a problem with that valve, not going to be easy finding another. How reliable are they?

So I might not even go the MQ2 path if it turns out to be too hard to make it happen. Do they really help a lot? What do they really do for the gun?

Can you post a example of the Jurassic goo ano. I really need to look at some examples to see if I can find something I like. The finish is something I would spend extra on.

Thank for the idea's.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 PM #8
kvorkian

Annual Supporting Member
kvorkian owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kvorkian owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
One of my favorite Karni's picked up was this one from Heaton http://customcockers.com/forum/showt...-Eclipse-parts.

The decisions made on the upgrades to the stock marker were significant. This thing is light and sick; and is by far one of my favorite all-around markers I use on the field. The only additions I have for it are a Tadao board and DYE Carbon Fiber barrel. As I build more Karni's, they are built just like this one.

Last edited by kvorkian : 03-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.
kvorkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM #9
Darkapollo

Ive had a Yak USB in my Karni for 3 years and the screen is still bright as the day it was made.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM #10
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
Ive had a Yak USB in my Karni for 3 years and the screen is still bright as the day it was made.
Good to see someone has had some luck with the YAK.

At least they are still replaceable, even if it hurts in the wallet.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM #11
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvorkian View Post
One of my favorite Karni's picked up was this one from Heaton http://customcockers.com/forum/showt...-Eclipse-parts.

The decisions made on the upgrades to the stock marker were significant. This thing is light and sick; and is by far one of my favorite all-around markers I use on the field. The only additions I have for it are a Tadao board and DYE Carbon Fiber barrel. As I build more Karni's, they are built just like this one.
Wow............... you were in the right place at the right time.

I usually don't have that kind of good fortune.

I recently let a MQ2 Karni slip by on here, and a MQ2 on ebay. I did not really understand what they were. I had not asked these quetions yet. Cocker Land is a awfully big place to navigate in, especially when you are just starting out. I am amazed at how much knowledge you guys have accumulated with these guns over the years.

Thanks for the blue print. I saved it.

This is going to be a labor of love.

Hey I could just go and buy a Luxe and be done with it. LOL.......

But that would be too easy (except on the wallet). No challenge (putting all the pieces of the puzzle together, no nostalgia, no personal sense of achievement (especially when you can go toe to toe with the new high ends). With something that you put so much time and effort in.

Only something a OLD DUDE would find interesting, I guess. But thats me.

PS. Just got a unloved prostock Mech in from Ebay. Came with a old elec hopper and a couple of barrels and a 45/4500 CF out of date tank. The barrels still have paint in them and the bolt is stuck from dryed paint. For a 104 bucks. Looking forward to getting it up and running. I must say A/C's are just too much fun. This is going to be my practice gun. My B/M mech appears to be well tuned it is chronoing at 285-290. I figure I will leave it alone, until I am confident that I can fix and tune the prostock.

The Karni and the MQ2 I will be looking for. Maybe I will get lucky and find something like the above gun. Need to be patient and enjoy my B/M mech, until I can put some of these pieces of the Karni Puzzel together.

And maybe rescue a few old Cockers from the Island of Unloved Paintball Guns along the way. As I build my working knowledge of these guns.

Thanks to all. Please add any other ideas. Other blue prints, or ano ideas.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 AM #12
Dk-79
SCHWING!

Jurassic goo.
Dk-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM #13
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
That's a hot anno ^

Get a karni body, throw an MQ2 in it. Then get eclipse/belsales LPR and Ram. Just use the karni noid.

Get an E2 board or a yak board. If you get one of the older E2 boards you can send it to me and I'll get it flashed to the newest revision (I work for TCP, the only certified Eblade repair center and only place to get boards flashed in the US).

Basically that karni linked earlier is pretty much what I'd do, only I don't personally care for Kaner kits, Dye regulators, or the TRV QEV's.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM #14
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dk-79 View Post

Jurassic goo.
Oh that is sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM #15
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

honestly if you can find a nice e2 karni youll be pretty happy. id play with it stock for a while before i changed anything..only thing i think i would change first would be asa and feedneck.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM #16
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
honestly if you can find a nice e2 karni youll be pretty happy. id play with it stock for a while before i changed anything..only thing i think i would change first would be asa and feedneck.
The MQ2 is going to be rather hard and expensive to find I think. So I am looking at that as the most likely starting position.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 PM #17
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

not so much hard to find as they go quickly....but seriously play with the tuning with the stock hammer and springs, they're really nice shooting guns. you might like it and not want to deal with the finickyness of an mq valve.

set the ivg about 2-3 threads in, adjust to desired fps with main reg, set lpr just high enough to re-cock it and go sling paint at peoples.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 PM #18
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
not so much hard to find as they go quickly....but seriously play with the tuning with the stock hammer and springs, they're really nice shooting guns. you might like it and not want to deal with the finickyness of an mq valve.

set the ivg about 2-3 threads in, adjust to desired fps with main reg, set lpr just high enough to re-cock it and go sling paint at peoples.
Well I seem to always miss deals for things like that. But we will see. I just need to wait and see what guns and equipment come up.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM #19
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bth9461 View Post
Can you cap balls at 10/12/13 with a zero b or E2 brd? With just the brd settings. Or do you need to do something with gun settings combined with the brd. Sort of trial and error method over a crony?

That seems to be the advantage of the Yakuza, if this was explained to me correctly. Not sure if the guy was talking about just a E1 brd limitations, or if the zero b and E2 also had this problem. I have never used any of these e bladed cockers.

I understand the Yakuza is a crap shoot and the C/S is not very good.

What about the UTB? I don't mind a LED brd. Do they work? They only cost about $55. Is this company good to work with. The brd seems to have all the settings you need.
Nothing wrong with the UTB - they're fantastic for custom installs - like using a random frame onto a cocker. like say... a UL frame.

WTB cocker pneus, slider & Karni FB

Jack Wood:
And I think that if you think something is bull****, you have every right to say you think it is. Just because bull**** is the norm doesn't mean it stinks any less.
new ion? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM #20
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
Nothing wrong with the UTB - they're fantastic for custom installs - like using a random frame onto a cocker. like say... a UL frame.
Well I have several A/C projects ready to start when I get home (on vaction this week). I hope to get out to play on Sunday after getting back from FL on Sunday. Going to use my B/M mech.

My son's SR is not going to be ready yet, I think I may need to in stall a UTB on it and reset the settings.

I have a Pro-stock Mech that came in when I left that was rescued from Ebay. The bolt is stuck with dried paint, so this project should be interesting as I plan a complete teardown and restore.

Then while on vaction I found a CL deal in my home town for a Pro-stock E2, this one is supposed to be working but has been sitting. I had it delivered to a buddy. No air but it lights up. Fomer tourney player and pics were not very detailed on my cheap phone. So it is most likely not a hall hanger put maybe a Player. Hoping it only needs a some fine tuning.

Last but not least is I have scored a very nice Karni with Kaner set E1 but I plan to change the board any ways, Should come in some time next week. One owner gun. Picks look great. Needs tunning from setting several years. Comes with the front cover also.

Think I have some tinkering to do, really looking forward to these projects. Plan to not even touch the Karni until I have become comfortable and successful with the other projects. That is going to be real hard on me.

Plan to post some before and after photos.

Once I get really comfortable around cockers I think I might keep one Mech and I Electro to loan out to other players at my local field. Especially to the young guys. Might be interesting to see what they think.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM #21
Jasoncp47

That's my plan to make one from scratch but like you said it hurts the wallet im looking to buy a karni now and just get the feel for it I have an outkast but needs new hoses which isn't expensive, I'm just lazy but I still love it like a first born child.
Jasoncp47 is offline   Reply With Quote