Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 PM #1
Broch

Planet Eclipse: Etha 1.5 or 2.0 PLEASE!

I'm anxiously awaiting the angled reg swivel to be added to the Etha!!! Please, Planet Eclipse! I previously owned an Etha, and loved it. Just waiting for this ONE feature!
Broch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 AM #2
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
I feel like if PE did a run of SL Ethas with different milling, metal parts instead of composite, angled collar, POPS, and a barrel kit for $850 that they'd have THE neatest luxury setup around a basic platform.

Hell, if I could just buy an Etha with an Emortal board, metal frame, and angled collar for $650 I'd hop all over that.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 AM #3
xyzyx00
Title

i agree, just like the geo 2, give us an etha 1.1, or an etha 2 with some upgraded internals.

I'm not terribly upset about the composite frame, it does it's job and keeps costs down. If they were gonna come out with a new etha I'd want a POPS and a 45 at the least. We can buy the POPS, wonder why we can't get the reg w a 45...?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM #4
BluBlur

BluBlur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BluBlur supports DLX Technology
You can get the angled swivel..talk to someone at your pro shop. Tell them you need them to order a replacement one for your "etek" "geo" whatever
BluBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM #5
BluBlur

BluBlur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BluBlur supports DLX Technology
I have the techt mrt bolt and it makes a night and day difference in how the etha shoots. Super smooth, not as smooth as a geo 3 but maybe a 2 or 2.1
BluBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 PM #6
Broch

I COULD do that, but am going to opt not to. like with the Geo, I'm sure that there is a safety concern at hand
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM #7
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch View Post
I COULD do that, but am going to opt not to. like with the Geo, I'm sure that there is a safety concern at hand
The safety concern with the Geo was the gasses venting too fast causing the air at the front of the bolt to go too fast leaving the pressure in the firing chamber only which would force the marker to fire. Basically, the air that keeps the marker from firing gets vented allowing the marker to fire without a certain restrictor in the collar in the Geo. The Ego, Etek, and Etha lines do NOT require this piece.

The Etha will be fine with an angled reg collar.

EDIT: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2893912

That thread explains it better. The Etha doesn't deal with that since it's a FASOR instead of an unbalanced spool. Basically, air holds the Geo bolt back that will cause it to fire if it vents too fast but a spring holds the Etha's bolt back (as well as the poppet needs to engage for it to fire) which won't stop holding the bolt back when you degas the marker.

Last edited by aresfiend : 03-26-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM #8
Skibba

Skibba is playing at Living Legends VII
Skibba owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Skibba is an NCPA player
Skibba plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
I feel like if PE did a run of SL Ethas with different milling, metal parts instead of composite, angled collar, POPS, and a barrel kit for $850 that they'd have THE neatest luxury setup around a basic platform.

Hell, if I could just buy an Etha with an Emortal board, metal frame, and angled collar for $650 I'd hop all over that.

Just going from the cost of other parts (not all for the etha) and a few guesses I'd say a SL Etha would break down like this:

I've included links to parts that wouldn't work, but provide a pricing idea.

Etha: $395
SL Milling: $50 (guesstimate, gives you roughly 1/2 hour of machine time)
Metal frame: $90 (using an SLS to give idea of price)
Metal feedneck: $60
Angled collar: $30 (Less than OOPS price since it's only 1 part)
Barrel Backs: 2/$65 (current boost kit prices, includes .685 and .689)
Emortal board: $175
Subtract OOPS, add POPS: $21

So you're looking at about: $800 ($795 to be exact), so to sell for $850 (give or take for different prices, or add 2 more backs)

so aresfiend was pretty much on it for both price estimates.

This price is pretty close to the older (although used) Geo2/EgoS prices you saw as soon as the Geo3's came out.

Etha's marketed as entry level, to me $850 isn't entry level and there's a lot of markers to be had under that price.

I love the etha at the $400 price, although I could see the pricing going like this:

Stock Etha (current etha) $400
Etek4 $600
SL Etha $850 (possible SL Etek4)
LV1/GEO3 $1300

Definitely covers a lot of price spread which is good for PE. You could argue that a SL Etek4 is possible w/more boost backs/new milling/upgrade board which puts you at $850ish as well.

Team Akkadian Paintball Team
Proudly Sponsored by Midwest Custom Paintball, La Crosse, WI
http://www.midwestcustompaintball.com/

Need any 3-D CAD work done? Send me a PM!

UW-Platteville Paintball Club; Alumni/2013 Nationals Coach
2013 NCPA National AND Season Champions

Originally posted by neftaly: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."

Last edited by Skibba : 03-26-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Skibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM #9
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

[quote=Skibba;78440192]Etha's marketed as entry level, to me $850 isn't entry level and there's a lot of markers to be had under that price./QUOTE]

My reasoning for letting it be $850 is the fact that the SL lines are made for the supporters and collectors. If you're looking to pick the best of a price you're probably going to go for performance over the customer appreciation, but if you're looking to buy an SL marker you're probably going to buy it because you support the company and are willing to pay the price to get the marker but with more extra features.

If they had an SL Etha, Etek, Geo, and Ego they would have unique differences over any company out there, where you can get the extras for your entry level gun for a premium for supporting the company. I guarantee you that there are people out there that would have an SL of each one.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:40 PM #10
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
Quote:
My reasoning for letting it be $850 is the fact that the SL lines are made for the supporters and collectors. If you're looking to pick the best of a price you're probably going to go for performance over the customer appreciation, but if you're looking to buy an SL marker you're probably going to buy it because you support the company and are willing to pay the price to get the marker but with more extra features.

If they had an SL Etha, Etek, Geo, and Ego they would have unique differences over any company out there, where you can get the extras for your entry level gun for a premium for supporting the company. I guarantee you that there are people out there that would have an SL of each one.
I wouldn't think so. If you wanted a next level marker up above an ENTRY level marker you could just go ahead and purchase a Geo3 or Ego11. Those are already better than the entry Etha and mid level Etek. People who compare the two know it's a big enough difference. Eclipse really wouldn't waste their time on making a 'SL' version of an entry level marker. Kinda defeats the purpose of the entry level part.
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM #11
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenguyen View Post
I wouldn't think so. If you wanted a next level marker up above an ENTRY level marker you could just go ahead and purchase a Geo3 or Ego11. Those are already better than the entry Etha and mid level Etek. People who compare the two know it's a big enough difference. Eclipse really wouldn't waste their time on making a 'SL' version of an entry level marker. Kinda defeats the purpose of the entry level part.
Doesn't defeat the purpose of an SL, which is to be a marker for avid Eclipse supporters who are willing to pay to have something special and not for the average paintball player who's looking for the best bang for their buck.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 PM #12
Skibba

Skibba is playing at Living Legends VII
Skibba owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Skibba is an NCPA player
Skibba plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Doesn't defeat the purpose of an SL, which is to be a marker for avid Eclipse supporters who are willing to pay to have something special and not for the average paintball player who's looking for the best bang for their buck.
Right. I wasn't saying that an $850 SLE would be entry level, bit that's what's associated with this marker. I do think that it would be very cool to see some of these made.

Team Akkadian Paintball Team
Proudly Sponsored by Midwest Custom Paintball, La Crosse, WI
http://www.midwestcustompaintball.com/

Need any 3-D CAD work done? Send me a PM!

UW-Platteville Paintball Club; Alumni/2013 Nationals Coach
2013 NCPA National AND Season Champions

Originally posted by neftaly: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Skibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:15 PM #13
Danny1oVe
1oVe PAINTBALL

Danny1oVe supports Team VICIOUS
Danny1oVe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i like the concept of the idea though, it could go both ways honestly.
i do got a question, how many people uses a etha in a tournament setting?
Danny1oVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM #14
seaneady
Hit The Deadbox Fool

seaneady owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
seaneady owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seaneady plays in the APPA D4 division
seaneady owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I am going to go out on a limb and predict you will NEVER see an SL Etha. The Etha was desingned the way it is at the price point it is for a reason....... You want all the bells and whistles you can buy the Geo or Ego.

Florida Shakedown
seaneady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM #15
frosticle

frosticle owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
frosticle owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
frosticle plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1oVe View Post
i like the concept of the idea though, it could go both ways honestly.
i do got a question, how many people uses a etha in a tournament setting?
I have seen them used in a few. I use one as my backup.
frosticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM #16
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneady View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and predict you will NEVER see an SL Etha. The Etha was desingned the way it is at the price point it is for a reason....... You want all the bells and whistles you can buy the Geo or Ego.

SUCH INSIGHT HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE ON THIS EARTH!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM #17
seaneady
Hit The Deadbox Fool

seaneady owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
seaneady owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seaneady plays in the APPA D4 division
seaneady owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:

Yep you totally get it.....lol sorry I invaded your intellectual thread so ignorantly .

Florida Shakedown
seaneady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM #18
Broch

Quote:
The safety concern with the Geo was the gasses venting too fast causing the air at the front of the bolt to go too fast leaving the pressure in the firing chamber only which would force the marker to fire. Basically, the air that keeps the marker from firing gets vented allowing the marker to fire without a certain restrictor in the collar in the Geo. The Ego, Etek, and Etha lines do NOT require this piece.

The Etha will be fine with an angled reg collar.

EDIT: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2893912

That thread explains it better. The Etha doesn't deal with that since it's a FASOR instead of an unbalanced spool. Basically, air holds the Geo bolt back that will cause it to fire if it vents too fast but a spring holds the Etha's bolt back (as well as the poppet needs to engage for it to fire) which won't stop holding the bolt back when you degas the marker.
Thank you for the information on that!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 PM #19
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibba View Post
Right. I wasn't saying that an $850 SLE would be entry level, bit that's what's associated with this marker. I do think that it would be very cool to see some of these made.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep you totally get it.....lol sorry I invaded your intellectual thread so ignorantly .
No need to apologize seaneady, I think seaneady's reply should really be the end to this thread. I agree with him completely, and I'm even willing to say 100% that there will never be an SL Etha. An SL Etha is basically a Geo.

To repeat the question above, how many Etha's have you seen in the tournament scene? 1? 2? Probably all D4 teams just starting up.

If they were going to make a new Etha it'd just be an Etha 1.5/2 or some variant. If you want bells and whistles you can get an EMC kit. The marker was designed to be entry level electronic marker for woodsball players. What would make it an SL version, new grips, a pops ASA, metal parts, LCD screen board? That's a Geo.

It's really not worth it to spend that much money when you can spend the same amount and get a Geo. I understand the point of having a 'special edition' Etha for being an Avid Eclipse owner, but cmon be honest with yourself, who wants a special edition entry level marker.
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 AM #20
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenguyen View Post
An SL Etha is basically a Geo.
Fasor =/= Spool

Quote:
To repeat the question above, how many Etha's have you seen in the tournament scene? 1? 2? Probably all D4 teams just starting up.
Here in Wisconsin at any tournament I've been to I've seen as many or more Ethas than Luxes, V2 Marqs, or Vanguard markers up into D3...

Quote:
What would make it an SL version, new grips, a pops ASA, metal parts, LCD screen board? That's a Geo.
Again, Fasor=/= spool. The Etha gets undeniably better efficiency than a Geo while keeping about the same sound signature and shot as a Geo.

Quote:
It's really not worth it to spend that much money when you can spend the same amount and get a Geo. I understand the point of having a 'special edition' Etha for being an Avid Eclipse owner, but cmon be honest with yourself, who wants a special edition entry level marker.
Well, if it had those features it'd be like comparing an Ego 10 to an Etek 3.... So being honest with myself it'd be more than a special edition entry level and closer to a supergun.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM #21
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Fasor =/= Spool
That's really the only point pertinent to the discussion on the previous entry.

I don't see anything wrong with coming up with an upgrade package or even an already upgraded Etha (Ala the PDD Axe).

However I can with a high percentage of certainty tell you it will not be an SL Etha.

SL has been designated for the prestige model of the top end guns. Since this is an entry level gun I could see it being something like Etha AM or some other unique name, but it in all likely hood would not be an SL.

The big problem with that is how many they sell vs. how many are produced, I haven't seen anything about how well the PDD axe has been selling, but I think its a tough pill to swallow to have a $400 gun become $850 or more for the "high end feel"

I for one would not be opposed to seeing a high end variant of the Etha (similar in guise to Etek to Ego), but I'm gonna go out on a limb too (seeing as this limb looks pretty sturdy) and say it will not be an SL Etha.
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote