PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 PM #1
Vitalsilence428
Engineer Minded

Mech Spimmy

So I ve been wanting to turn this rebel I have into a spimmie I have the body all milled. I m looking into a ram and sleeve thinking about a grip frame and board and all that comes with a Spimmy. I picked up a vice in a trade so my desire is subdued, but Then it hit me would it not be possible to make a mech Spimmy. And my thought was to use the smav-3 used in the mech ion kit to actuate the ram but I m not sure that that valve would be appropriate. I m thinking I would need a 4-way. Am I correct in this thinking. Also would it not be useful to use an anti-chop bolt out of an old Spyder so I don t have to use eyes. Lmk what your guys thoughts are. I m going to build it over the next year one way or another but I would like your guys imput.
Vitalsilence428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM #2
junits15

The issue becomes that you need a way to meter the amount of air. Because in a mech ion the dump chamber seals so dwell doesn't affect fps. But in a spimmy the valve would be open as long as you hold the trigger creating crazy velocity spikes.
It is possible but it's difficult, you need a valve that acts as a one shot so the valve opens and closes on its own when the trigger is held down.
*freak bored Evil Pipe kit with DW Whip Tip
*super duper UBER upp'd PM7
*reverse red VForce Grillz

I bought an Ion...in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

Last edited by junits15 : 03-24-2013 at 10:45 PM.
junits15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM #3
tacxplosion

You can use the smav-3 if you make it a FASOR using a T1 kit, or you can try using a 4-way valve for the usual setup, but you will need to find a way to control the valve dwell to the ram.

With the FASOR you can usually get away with setting it up so that inertia takes care of opening the valve and then the return spring/valve spring/pressure from the valve chamber allows it to close. You will still need all the leverage you can get to make the trigger have as short a throw to activate the valve as possible.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 PM #4
Vitalsilence428
Engineer Minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
You can use the smav-3 if you make it a FASOR using a T1 kit, or you can try using a 4-way valve for the usual setup, but you will need to find a way to control the valve dwell to the ram.

With the FASOR you can usually get away with setting it up so that inertia takes care of opening the valve and then the return spring/valve spring/pressure from the valve chamber allows it to close. You will still need all the leverage you can get to make the trigger have as short a throw to activate the valve as possible.
I was thinking about a FASOR design like the eigen ram. But like you said the pressure would tend to be higher to overcome the spring needed to return the ram. Which brings me back to a pulse valve but the quickest pulse valve I can find would only cycle at 5bps max.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:03 PM #5
Vitalsilence428
Engineer Minded

What about a third hole that would be infront of the rear hole add an o ring groove and have double o ring tailed ram so when the ram reached the forward position it would close the chambe kinda like the double oring on an ion bolt.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 PM #6
Vitalsilence428
Engineer Minded

If you did this^ then could you just remachine the ram and move the rear o ring forward and tie the back inlet hole into the front so that when it reached the forward position it would cycle the the air back to the front pushing the ram back, almost like a hall effect you would half to install a check valve so the air would only flow from back to front but does that make sense? I think I may have to draw that up but does anyone see what I getting at.... Three holes in the sleeve, the stock front and rear and a third in a measured position in the middle, the cycling would be the front and middle holes.a three oring ram when at rest the middle oring just infront of the middle hole and the rear oring infront of the rear hole, and when the ram is in the forward position the rear oring would be just in front of the middle hole. Tie in the back hole into the front with a check valve so air only goes one way effectively recirculate the Air in the ram to the front and begining the return process

Last edited by Vitalsilence428 : 03-24-2013 at 11:23 PM.