PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-06-2010, 10:25 AM #1
Damonwill

Damonwill is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Finally finished my under-barrel, contant air, breech loading launcher!!

Still have to get the breech parts anno'ed, but works smooth and fires perfectly!!!

The breech is released with a push of the thumb....

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Damonwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM #2
Lonus

Looks great! What did your final pressure end up being?

Last edited by Lonus : 05-06-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: answerd own questions
Lonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM #3
Damonwill

225 psi will send a Nerf 75 yards. I think I'll stick with that. Most local fields require 250 and under with a safety release valve.

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 PM #4
fbkboe

Looks great! How much $?
fbkboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM #5
DasWolfenstein

Noob tube! looks nice.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:28 PM #6
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbkboe View Post
Looks great! How much $?

Muzzle loading launcher - $179
Breech loading launcher - $249
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 PM #7
aaronah1

aaronah1 supports Team VICIOUS
aaronah1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aaronah1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aaronah1 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
well it looks hot
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball 4 life..

".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face.......then the ref high-fived me for being so damn awesome."
aaronah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 PM #8
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

real cool! Very fair prices as well! you said what the velocity is but what about the FPS with a nerf? this could be very usefull for tankers. but it has to shoot at a good fps. specially if you want to use a long tank barrel with it.

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 AM #9
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
real cool! Very fair prices as well! you said what the velocity is but what about the FPS with a nerf? this could be very usefull for tankers. but it has to shoot at a good fps. specially if you want to use a long tank barrel with it.
Are you looking for range or fps? His does about 75 yards as stated on a previous post.

With some testing we've seen that higher fps doesn't mean it gives you longer range. I have a homemade lanucher that fires 160-175 fps and it can out range the same lanucher being set to the field max of 215-230fps by over 30 feet.

Last edited by jvtech : 05-08-2010 at 12:11 PM.
jvtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 AM #10
Damonwill

Yes, I don't know the fps, but its similar to the Metadyne fps. Range was always my first priority...

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 PM #11
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

a Nerf going 230 fps goes farther than one going 180. there is zero doubt about it. Ive built numerous launchers and launcher based weapons.
VELOCITY = RANGE It is simple mathmatics and science.

anyways what im looking for is something like this launcher that can be adapted to a 5, 6 or 7 ft barrel. for use in my tank and anti tank gun. Using a short barrel is completely out of the question for this role. This design looks perfect for this use.It doesnt look hard to swap in a long barrel at all. the only question is how fast does a nerf go? 75 yards out of a nerf is good if you aim it almost parallel to the ground. if you have to aim it 45 degrees thats something else. From the testing ive done on our PAK 40 anti tank gun the velocity drops about 20 fps when your barrel goes from 5 feet to 7 feet. Soi need something that can get back up to that velocity. the gun does not fire as good with the longer barrel/ lower velocity.

I currently have homemade air cannons that work very well. but if i could get the same performance out of a "Manufactured" launcher then id buy one or more no doubt.but it has to be reliable. the havok launchers look cool but seem to unreliable. And the cost is too high

Last edited by BlackAngelSS : 05-07-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:04 PM #12
Damonwill

Quote:
a Nerf going 230 fps goes farther than one going 180. there is zero doubt about it. Ive built numerous launchers and launcher based weapons.

anyways what im looking for is something like this launcher that can be adapted to a 5, 6 or 7 ft barrel. for use in my tank and anti tank gun. Using a short barrel is completely out of the question for this role. This design looks perfect for this use.It doesnt look hard to swap in a long barrel at all. the only question is how fast does a nerf go? 75 yards out of a nerf is good if you aim it almost parallel to the ground. if you have to aim it 45 degrees thats something else. From the testing ive done on our PAK 40 anti tank gun the velocity drops about 20 fps when your barrel goes from 5 feet to 7 feet. Soi need something that can get back up to that velocity. the gun does not fire as good with the longer barrel/ lower velocity.

I currently have homemade air cannons that work very well. but if i could get the same performance out of a "Manufactured" launcher then id buy one or more no doubt.but it has to be reliable. the havok launchers look cool but seem to unreliable. And the cost is too high
You are correct. what I meant was that I haven't been MEASURING the FPS, but only the range of the rocket fired at a 20 degree angle (approx).

YYes, you could install a longer barrel, but I don't know if you could put a 7ft barrel. Probably the max would be a 2 ft since the pressure chamber is so small. After the 2ft, the pressure difference wouldn't continue to accelerate the rocket. So the rocket would slow because of drag and friction against the barrel. I'd recommend using a barrel that give you max speed and putting a faux barrel that is at least 2.5" ID to give you the 7ft "barrel" you want.

If you wanted to use a REAL 7ft barrel, increase the volume of your pressure chamber and you will get better performance.

Damon

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 05-07-2010, 11:16 PM #13
jvtech
HazMat from Black List

Quote:
I also believed that before I did my testing with my launcher. It may only be with my lanucher. The only thing that can explain it is that at the higher speed the nerf's nose compress and causes friction that'll slow it down fast or makes the nerf fly wilder making the tail whip all directions.

Haven't tested this on another launcher so like I said it could be just my launcher maybe something with the barrel.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:51 AM #14
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtech View Post
I also believed that before I did my testing with my launcher. It may only be with my lanucher. The only thing that can explain it is that at the higher speed the nerf's nose compress and causes friction that'll slow it down fast or makes the nerf fly wilder making the tail whip all directions.

Haven't tested this on another launcher so like I said it could be just my launcher maybe something with the barrel.
I can see that happening with the nerf compressing. i have been using 2 inch pvc for barrels, which is quite loose so i dont have the compression or much of a friction problem. If you do crank it up too high they do get very squirelly. plus the refs have a hard time tracking them to the target to confirm the hit. so sometimes we give up a little range so everyone can easily see the shot. now when there isnt alot of noise around you can ussually hear the wack against the other tank.

for the price im still interested in one of these even if its just used for a handheld launcher.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:49 PM #15
Damonwill

$179 for the Muzzle loading version

$249 for the breech loading version.

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 AM #16
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Bravo! That was my goal some YEARS ago but discovered the operating pressures required had to be factory components or shop made. You can get only so much of PVC and 150 psi and a short enough barrel to fit on a marker.

I ALMOST went the other way. Put a marker on a bazooka.... Chop off the grip or use it for the front handle of the bazooka and mount that folded Shorty onto it. Decided it would still be too big and bulky to play speedball with.

Short of metal working capabilities being available to me, I had to give up on that goal.

Still, been pondering a version of Fastlearners Burst Disk Launcher that would do 230+ fps out of a 14" barrel.

Just make a cartridge with a built in burst disk that you can just load in, Seal, and open the valve to you markers air supply. Got a little R&D to do on a prototype.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM #17
Damonwill

Yes, I had to design mine and have a machine shop build it. It was beyond my machining skills and time.

Good luck with your burst disk launcher. Sounds pretty powerful.

Damon Williams
www.scenariodreams.com
Old 09-06-2016, 08:15 PM #18
68gold

are you still making these, i would be interested in it...
68gold is offline   Reply With Quote