Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 PM #22
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19
 
soccerguy243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wichita KS
soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 is an NCPA player
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete32 View Post
not only were the divisional horns impossible to hear, but they go off seconds after the timer reaches zero...

so you could be late...
or
reaaaaally early....
both happened very frequently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatkid10 View Post
Isn't there like a very short "float" time once the clock hit's 0:00 for the buzzer to sound? Like it hits zero and then there could be a 1/2-2 second delay before the buzzer finally sounds.
The board (if i see correctly from the webcasts) doesn't show anything under whole seconds.

When you see 0:00 the time is still at 0:00.9, 0:00.8, etc. that's why the horn isn't sounded instantaneously at 0:00. There's still time on the board its just not displayed (I experienced this at NCPA nationals in 2009). Its just like when you hack a clock on your watch or phone. When you click start it doesn't show 0:01 instantaneously; it takes one second to get there.
__________________
FOR SALE
Crossfire HP 4500psi reg, Ninja 4500psi Reg


"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Pilot

Last edited by soccerguy243 : 03-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 PM #23
ActionExpress
Alex Williams
 
ActionExpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bay Area
ActionExpress plays in the PSP
ActionExpress plays in the APPA Pro division
The D1 fields were perfect, but when I went to help a local D4 team I was really surprised how quiet the horns were.
__________________
Los Angeles Ironmen
Paintball Sports Promotions
WCPPL
Dye Precision
Santa Clara Paintball
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 PM #24
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care
 
Andocommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ARkansas
 has been a member for 10 years
Andocommando plays in the PSP
Andocommando posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinh2599 View Post
The horns were a little different from field to field. Also some fields had horns behind the start box and some didn't. But there's still always gonna be a false start sometimes.
Our horn was a car horn Zip tied to the score board, pointing to one side of the field. It was a low pitch and hard to hear, especially with the compressors running right behind us.
__________________
POINT BLANK
PAINTBALL ARKANSAS
VALKEN SPORTS

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:07 AM #25
eforce
Factory PB
 
eforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Every event I've reffed, the teams that tag up early have the hardest time with false starts. As a general tip, don't tag up before the 3 second mark. You'll have too much time to get jittery and jump at any sound before the actual game starts. At 5 seconds casually walk to the general area of the box you want and slowly tag up at 3. You'll find that you're less prone to false starts and it's almost impossible for the other team's coach to know what you're doing off the break and relay that to his players in time. Do not watch the clock inside 5 seconds and do not have somebody count down from 5. You'll start at 0 before the buzzer sounds.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 AM #26
GanjaPalooza
Double D
 
GanjaPalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knoxville
GanjaPalooza plays in the MiLP
GanjaPalooza owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GanjaPalooza plays in the APPA D4 division
GanjaPalooza has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would think they could delay one by about 10 seconds..... although I understand them being on a tight schedule and 10 seconds multiplied can definitely catch up with them.

I thought I would share : the first MiLP event in Atlanta was right by a train yard..... I saw MULTIPLE false starts because of a train rolling by within 5 seconds of the game timer and blaring its horn lol.

I would think outlying noises that could throw off the "start horn" would be the first of many considerations when running a organized tournament.
__________________
GanjaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 AM #27
eforce
Factory PB
 
eforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaPalooza View Post
I would think they could delay one by about 10 seconds..... although I understand them being on a tight schedule and 10 seconds multiplied can definitely catch up with them.
You bring up a great point. Here's some food for thought: On a D3x field at PSP Dallas, refs work ~22 matches that stretch from 8am to 6pm start times, which works out to a 12 hour work day after accounting for time spent arriving early and cleaning the field at the end of the day. If you ref a PSP event, you're more or less there from sunrise to sunset.

Using a theoretical average score of 4-2, the individual field stats are as follows:

132 points are played.
110 minutes are burned between matches (5 minute break timer).
220 minutes are burned between points (2 minute break timer).
44 minutes are burned if one timeout is used per match.
Adding 10 seconds to avoid false starts, 2-3 times per match, makes the day 10 minutes longer.

So what does this mean? The average PSP ref on a D3x field gets shot over 100 times per day if he takes one hit per point (it's much higher in reality). He is standing in the heat on an idle field, cleaning or chronoing, for about 6 hours a day. Every minute you add to each game is one less minute of daylight at the end of the regularly scheduled matches; one less minute to run delayed games, one less minute to run added games, one less minute to clean the field. Consider how quickly the sun goes down after the schedule has run its course and you will quickly realize how tightly controlled it must be to avoid forcing night games if anything fails to run smoothly. This may sound crazy, but if you want to see more games start at their scheduled time, you may want the PSP to subtract 10 seconds at the start of the break timer in the event of a conflict with another field.

Last edited by eforce : 03-19-2013 at 03:59 AM.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM #28
raehl
NCPA President
 
raehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatkid10 View Post
Isn't there like a very short "float" time once the clock hit's 0:00 for the buzzer to sound? Like it hits zero and then there could be a 1/2-2 second delay before the buzzer finally sounds.
The clock "rounds down", so when it changes to 0:00, it's really 0:00.99. Next event SHOULD have an update to display tenths of seconds to make that more obvious.

The fields do alternate different buzzers from field to field. And fields already make an effort to not have to fields start at the same time - the problem is not the buzzers that start the point, but the buzzer that sounds when the field next to you ends a point. There's not really a good way to control when that happens.


- Chris
__________________
Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM #29
GrimReafer
 
 
GrimReafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
GrimReafer plays in the MiLP
GrimReafer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
GrimReafer plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionExpress View Post
The D1 fields were perfect, but when I went to help a local D4 team I was really surprised how quiet the horns were.
Yeah. I only recall seeing maybe two or three instances of false starts caused by other fields horns on the GI field the whole event.
__________________
GLK
Chive On from Charleston, SC
CFOA/PSP Referee
2011 CFOA D5 Champions
2014 CFOA D4 Palmetto Open - 1st Place
Paintball Charleston - CFOA - RAZA - theChive
GrimReafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM #30
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor
 
simple_condolences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
You bring up a great point. Here's some food for thought: On a D3x field at PSP Dallas, refs work ~22 matches that stretch from 8am to 6pm start times, which works out to a 12 hour work day after accounting for time spent arriving early and cleaning the field at the end of the day. If you ref a PSP event, you're more or less there from sunrise to sunset.

Using a theoretical average score of 4-2, the individual field stats are as follows:

132 points are played.
110 minutes are burned between matches (5 minute break timer).
220 minutes are burned between points (2 minute break timer).
44 minutes are burned if one timeout is used per match.
Adding 10 seconds to avoid false starts, 2-3 times per match, makes the day 10 minutes longer.

So what does this mean? The average PSP ref on a D3x field gets shot over 100 times per day if he takes one hit per point (it's much higher in reality). He is standing in the heat on an idle field, cleaning or chronoing, for about 6 hours a day. Every minute you add to each game is one less minute of daylight at the end of the regularly scheduled matches; one less minute to run delayed games, one less minute to run added games, one less minute to clean the field. Consider how quickly the sun goes down after the schedule has run its course and you will quickly realize how tightly controlled it must be to avoid forcing night games if anything fails to run smoothly. This may sound crazy, but if you want to see more games start at their scheduled time, you may want the PSP to subtract 10 seconds at the start of the break timer in the event of a conflict with another field.
Thats also less time for lunch...

Good breakdown. I've never taken the time to do the math but its a fairly impressive feat to consider what goes down on a single PSP field in a day.
__________________
CFOA Referee 2012-
PSP Referee 2013-
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 PM #31
K-9
name's ryon. hi
 
K-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: khm
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
K-9 plays in the PSP
K-9 donated to help Peyton Trent
K-9 supports DLX Technology
Be just as easy as using the 8bit ray gun sounds designated to each field
K-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 PM #32
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor
 
simple_condolences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
Be just as easy as using the 8bit ray gun sounds designated to each field
Interesting idea... Only difference there though, is that requires buying speakers... The current system uses air horns and the scoreboards themselves have the "compressors" themselves built in already. There was talk of new scoreboards at some point this season though and Raehl said something about new boards with tenths of seconds included on the clock as well... So, we will see.
__________________
CFOA Referee 2012-
PSP Referee 2013-
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM #33
autodoc
 
 
autodoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston
Annual Supporting Member
autodoc plays in the PSP
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
autodoc plays in the APPA D3 division
autodoc owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
And I thought it was just a problem in the lower divisions
__________________
Current Markers
Jack Wood's serial #001 SL91, GSL #001 BLACK,20th Anniversary set #8, Vicious CSL,], ICON GEO3, Boston Paintball Reaper GEO3 , 187crew LV1, Boston Paintball Custom Twister LV1, Hurricanes SL8R, Infamous Johnny Cash SL and everything is older like me and no one cares

Preferred MOB Competition Paintball Team

2014 FoxBall Minors Champs
autodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump