Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 AM #1
Boostgod

My Paintball Story - Noob to Intermediate Player with pics!

Hey Everyone. My name is Boostgod. I just got into the Paintball scene in December of last year, and I usually go really hard into all my hobbies. I just figured I should post up and let you guys critique my build / setup. So here is my Paintball Story.

I'm 28, and I decided to take my little nephew to a local pb field on Dec 26th. I had so much fun that the next day I decided to buy a used TM7 second gen for $300 Canadian.

It included:

TM7 & Box

a beat junk JT mask,

48/3000 Metal tank,

Remote line, Sling (beat up),

14" apex barrel,

Rip Clip & low pro X7 hopper

Tippman Electro Loader

Double trigger upgrade.

So After I pawed over my new swag, I decided to head out to the local PB field and test her out for the first time

I was new, wearing a hoodie and work pants and I really had a good time. I was sure I wanted to get more into this hobby. I loved the rush/fear of being shot and the real "fight or flight" emotions you feel on the field. What I forgot to mention, was that on my second day playing paintball I went to a Speedball only game, and it was all pros. I got fully lit up that day, but the positive part (besides all the new nipples on my chest) was that I was less afraid of getting shot. Pic of me from that day:

Because I am a hobbyist (I am a semi professional race car driver and instructor) and I also grew up building RC cars, it was time to get busy modding! I mainly like to mod for the sheer fun of it - I just like making something better despite the law of diminishing returns. So it began with the trigger mod (thanks to this site btw)

I really was happy with the mod, but I still wanted to not go crazy. At this point my complete setup looked like this:

I wore a hoody and work pants, and a 4+1 hip pack for my remote and pods. Decent, but still minimal. Was going to games here and there and really enjoying the hobby. When I play I think of it as a real shooting scenario - until I get shot. Thats the only time I "wake up" from the whole thing... its just a great feeling to be on edge and grow in your skill.

So then I had a few beers and "justified" buying more mods [] . Best thing ever - if your on the edge of buying cool paintball stuff but cant do it - make the decision drunk it helps a lot. Plus in the morning your kinda happy that its done and the parts are on their way!

As you can see, I went with the APE board and some Magpul goodies. The APE board is really awesome, and once setup its just fantastic - gotta love not having those stupid 3 pull safety shots. The Magpul AFG is also a really great Mod - at least for me, I much prefer that holding style compared to the stock foregrip. I played with the above mods for another few games, but I felt like I needed more firepower so sold the Ripclip that I never really used with my gun and got the following two mods:

The 400rd Pinocchio Loader with a 90ci/4500 ninja carbon tank! Now I figured that I can shoot close to a case of paint. This was the point of no return, I was 100% dedicated to the sport at this point. At this point I had also bought a full Multicam BDU, Custom VForce Profiler mask with dual pane lens, Original Swat boots, M88 Helmet with GoPro mount. I was off to my first big game! Red Dawn 8, 307 person winter game.

Defending the Church

Showing the rear setup^ w/ camelbak

After I got back, I found some really cool pics that a photographer grabbed of me on the front line during the battle:

Un edited heddy cam footage of that day:

http://youtu.be/igBBQSrgJs4

http://youtu.be/SC1Yd1YEJVM

Its was a really amazing experience, and I am going to be attending every big game here in Canada and even a few in the USA! So be on the lookout for me!

I was really tired after my first 8hr game, the deep crispy top snow made it pretty tiring to run around. Here is what I looked like at the end of the day, tired and grumpy, ready for bed! (if your into cars - thats my ITR powered EK hatch beater I am standing behind)

That game was just a week or so ago, so this is where I am now from Dec 26th, still not a pro or anything, but I can definitely feel a progression in my skill and I am meeting so amazing people in this hobby / sport!

I know I should stop with the modding but...I... a few nights ago...well... I decided to do one last thing:

I used the Krylon Fusion Paint. I know that there is a good chance it will scrape off and chip but that doesnt bother me. The Tan goes better with my multicam, and its nice and simple unlike a full camo. I just like the fact that my TM7 is much more MINE now. I know everyone wont agree, but I am happy with it, I'll keep everyone posted with how the finish fairs.

So thats where I am as of today in this hobby, and I'd love to hear any comments about your thoughts my my mods / story or why you love paintball and your story of how you got into it!

Thanks for checking out my load out & story!

-Boost
Boostgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 AM #2
avengeddisciple

avengeddisciple owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
avengeddisciple has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not quite the story I was expecting. But still cool my friend.
Welcome to the nation.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM #3
jimzachwl

Great story. Welcome to one of the most addicting sports to date.
jimzachwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM #4
Apewar

Thumbs up

great story
Apewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 PM #5
iix FRITZ
Paintball is Stupid....

iix FRITZ is playing at Living Legends VI
iix FRITZ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
iix FRITZ supports DLX Technology
welcome to the family lol

I'm a civilized redneck.

Homefield - Wiseguy Paintball

PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG IF YOU SUPPORT THE 2ND AMENDMENT.
iix FRITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 PM #6
firststrike01
Peace is the way

I read about 3 sentences.
firststrike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 AM #7
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
Well you certainly have the milsim look down. The basic issue combat boots had to be like ice skates. I am going to appeal to your thoughts on being a soldier. Special Forces did not not wear combat boots and the regular infantry usually changed out of the basic issue combat boot, to a regulation boot that was more comfortable, did not cause blisters, and did not slide on ice so easily. In any case, the special forces preferred to wear adventure racing shoes when wearing a light load for a mission. Full boots are usually for carrying weight in excess of 50 lbs.

I would wear the basic combat boot for nothing. I sprained both of my ankles walking on a pebble with those POS and was forced to walk another 15 miles with 85lbs on my back. I could barely walk afterwards. However, when I used a better aftermarket boot [oakley assault SI], I did not have a single blister nor was I forced to fall or risk breaking my leg. In fact, I could run faster with a full load and pass people who did not have a rucksack with the oakley boots. I also picked up some danner temperate weather winter boots that had better thinsulate and goretex protection, wicked away sweat faster, better grip on ice and allowed me to sprint without worry of breaking my leg. The best thing the basic issue combat boots could be used for is to sell them to people like you.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 03-17-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM #8
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
looking good. 1 thing i would like to do as i play more big games/scenarios is get into magfed.

KILLA$ KREW
UnspokeN
Old School Feedback
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 PM #9
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist supports Empire
wickid paint job.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 AM #10
paintballuk13
Paintball London UK

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what they are talking about on the paintball. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe you are not more popular because you definitely have the paintball gift.
paintballuk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 AM #11
Boostgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengeddisciple View Post
Not quite the story I was expecting. But still cool my friend.
Welcome to the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzachwl View Post
Great story. Welcome to one of the most addicting sports to date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apewar View Post
great story
Quote:
Originally Posted by iix FRITZ View Post
welcome to the family lol
Thanks for the welcome fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firststrike01 View Post
I read about 3 sentences.
cool story bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
I sprained both of my ankles walking on a pebble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzeye View Post
looking good. 1 thing i would like to do as i play more big games/scenarios is get into magfed.

yeah, seems like fun but I see a lot of reliability issues with mag fed markers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonotwist View Post
wickid paint job.
thanks, hope it holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballuk13 View Post
Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what they are talking about on the paintball. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe you are not more popular because you definitely have the paintball gift.
thanks man, its just a fun hobby!

Last edited by Boostgod : 03-18-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 PM #12
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

In contrast, with adventure racing shoes you could sprint across the tips of boulders and almost parkour up and down mountains. You could feel secure on the edge of 1000+ft cliffs. However, those basic issue combat boots were the most frustrating shoes I have ever worn. They decrease agility, speed, support, and stability, yet mil-sim players think it gives them some sort of edge just because they look like some grunt basic training soldier.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 03-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM #13
Boostgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
In contrast, with adventure racing shoes you could sprint across the tips of boulders and almost parkour up and down mountains. You could feel secure on the edge of 1000+ft cliffs. However, those basic issue combat boots were the most frustrating shoes I have ever worn. They decrease agility, speed, support, and stability, yet mil-sim players think it gives them some sort of edge just because they look like some grunt basic training soldier.

1. They arent basic issue boots as assumed, you may want to re-read the post fully before commencing into a rant.

2. Its a game and its fun. Dont take it too seriously.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 PM #14
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostgod View Post
1. They arent basic issue boots as assumed, you may want to re-read the post fully before commencing into a rant.

2. Its a game and its fun. Dont take it too seriously.
SWAT boots are designed for a flat urban environment. With paintball shells and dirt will build up on the boot and you will quickly lose traction. Personally, if you insist on combat boots I would have gone with the KIOWA boot.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 AM #15
Boostgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
SWAT boots are designed for a flat urban environment. With paintball shells and dirt will build up on the boot and you will quickly lose traction. Personally, if you insist on combat boots I would have gone with the KIOWA boot.
Original swat is a brand name, they have many different styles great for paintball use. No complaints so far, great boot for my non military needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFKaOBRqdHw

Last edited by Boostgod : 03-19-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 PM #16
-C0L1N-

Good thing you have that camo. Blends in well with the snow !

Haha, it looks sick though! I enjoyed the read

*Edit*

Oh and if you are looking for a more mil-sim feel.. Ever hear of the qloader? It gets the hopper out the way.

http://www.qloader.com/

Last edited by -C0L1N- : 04-09-2013 at 05:14 PM.
-C0L1N- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM #17
DanR
deutsch

Annual Supporting Member
DanR plays in the PSP
DanR is an NCPA player
DanR plays in the APPA D4 division
DanR supports DLX Technology
DanR supports Empire
tm7s are great little guns and i like what you did with it ive always liked dark earth colored guns...

gotta love winter big games ive refted a few
Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM #18
`Dylan

Snow I like it
`Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote