Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM #1
pbf_98
Zombie baller

pbf_98 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pbf_98 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My trusty spyder no longer shooting

The last game I player with my spyder pilot last season it was acting funny and not shooting quite right, now as a new season draws closer I took it out again to go through as I do every year, and now it won't even fire the bolt.

At the end of last season it would shoot two or three times and the the trigger mech wouldn't fire all the way, I could hear the click of the mech working, but it wasn't as loud as it always had been.

Now when the bolt is back it won't make a click sound at all, but when the bolt is forward it works fine.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Intimidators Own!
Clear Halo V35
2k4 Species Intimidator
pbf_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM #2
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
First Which pilot, I'm going to assume its the 08/09 pilot and not the older ACS models, but the advice is going to start the same.

USE a 9.6v battery. If your not using one, find one and use it. I know the manual says that 9v work and you may have been able to fire from a fresh one, but you need the 9.6v for regular use. If your in a pinch a brand new one might keep you from going home early but you shouldn't rely on them.

If you have been using the correct battery(and it still holds a charge) then your capacitor on the board may have blown. In which case you can either replace the capacitor if your handy with a solder gun or just replace the board. If its the newer 08+ than you can buy a VS tadao board for like 30 bucks.

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM #3
pbf_98
Zombie baller

actually more like an 05, yes the original 9.6v has been long gone, but never had a problem for 2+ years using the 9v but if you believe it would be a good help I could order one

I'm not sure the name of the part, but the metal cylinder at the top is striking as hard as it always use to. Is this a part that wears out?

Intimidators Own!
Clear Halo V35
2k4 Species Intimidator
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
well like i said #1 thing is get a 9.6v NiMH

Its doubly so since it the older style they don't work all that well even with a brand new 9v. However you might be able to see if you can get it work by sticking a penny behind the solenoid clapper (the round thing).

There is a possibility that your capacitor is blown if you can't get it work ( visually inspect it, for burns and bulges. They can be replaced but i don't remember where or what specs to use for it anymore.

Otherwise check for general things like, is there a loose/pinched/broken wire, does it turn on, is the battery charged (or in your case does it even have enough try a brand new one from the store and not one that has been sitting in a drawer). Did you turn off the safety? you wouldn't believe how many times that would happen, but it does.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM #5
pbf_98
Zombie baller

I was using a quarter before, didn't do too well. The 9v did however work for at least two years, but as I said I will order a 9.6 to rule that out.

Had a brand new battery from a couple days ago I put in there earlier to test that out.. It does turn on, safety has been off. The wires to me seem to be ok.

How hard is it to replace the capacitor if it comes down to that? Do they still make new trigger frames that fit the old models, not sure if they have kept the same dimensions

thanks with your help this far, I do appreciate it!

Intimidators Own!
Clear Halo V35
2k4 Species Intimidator
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 PM #6
Vidalecent

Vidalecent has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If the solenoid is not moving all the way, it is almost definitely the battery. Buy yourself the Spyder 9.6v battery. The old board were very very picky about the batteries they had. I had an old Fenix ACS that would poop out after a day of play.
Vidalecent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 PM #7
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
The capacitors go bad every so often, if it really doesn't clap the solenoid like it should/or did then its more than just a battery.

Grab a solder gun and some solder and replace it. Its not hard and its cheaper than a whole trigger frame.

http://www.ansgear.com/Kingman_Spyde...ncapacitor.htm

Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM #8
pbf_98
Zombie baller

Got the battery and got it fully charged, did not solve issue, so I am guessing that it is as mentioned above, with the capacitor.

So that'll be next on my list to try

thanks for the help so far

Intimidators Own!
Clear Halo V35
2k4 Species Intimidator