Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM #1
stix_clgi

Sorta new player, got the bug

Just wanted to introduce myself pbnation, glad to be here!

Been paintballing about 5 times with friends and church groups, now I'm interested in playing more often. I bought a tippmann 98 package a few years ago, and now have a broken Ion I'm looking to replace lol. Theres

I'm down in southern Maryland, I play at So. MD Paintball, if you wanna play and are looking for a 28 yr old noob let me There's so much to learn, so don't mind my questions :-)

{insert cool paintball phrase here}
stix_clgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM #2
Way2scary4u
I AM SCARY......MEOW

Way2scary4u is playing at Living Legends VI
Way2scary4u is playing at Living Legends VII
Way2scary4u supports Team VICIOUS
Way2scary4u supports Team VICIOUS
Way2scary4u supports Empire
So what do you want to learn about the sport? Are you looking for advice for buying a new gun? I'm sure someone has an answer for all of your questions
Way2scary4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM #3
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I'd rent an electric gun and check out Pev's north of DC.

Welcome to the sport.

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM #4
stix_clgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2scary4u View Post
So what do you want to learn about the sport? Are you looking for advice for buying a new gun? I'm sure someone has an answer for all of your questions
What do I want to learn? Everything! Seriously, like I just found out today that there are paintball teams with positions, like back, mid, "dorito" (?). I assume that's speedball, but are there similar positions in woods ball?

If I feel good or athletic enough to play on an official team, what is the tryout process? This is something I'm not ready for obviously, but the team and tournament info I found so far is interesting.

What is considered a "good" electric gun? I'm looking to buy an invert mini from a guy in Gaithersburg, MD.... It has great reviews, lightweight, supposedly the perfect gun? If that's the case, why are there guns that cost $1300 (!$#&@!)?
I'm gonna do searches to find out as much as I can... Nobody likes the guy who asks that one question again, but I appreciate all advice.

Pev's is next on the list... I'm supposed to be going to leesburg in a few weeks, Hogsback I think. I have an Ion I'm trying to replace, and the invert mini if I get in touch with the guy tomorrow, so hopefully soon I'll have a working electric gun of my own.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 PM #5
eclipseXTM

eclipseXTM owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
eclipseXTM supports DLX Technology
another great gun would be to go with an etha or even a used etek 3. you could find a nice used v3 rotor for around 100.
eclipseXTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM #6
C-NoTe
Bunny Killer

C-NoTe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Your Ion can probably be fixed. I would do your research before buying a gun. and if it was me I wouldn't buy a mini.

The last thing you see before you die is your life story.. You better make it a good one.
C-NoTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 PM #7
EmmanuelMV

What's wrong with a mini?
EmmanuelMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 PM #8
C-NoTe
Bunny Killer

It's just my opinion. I feel you can buy a way better used gun for the price of the mini. I think there is a reason everyone wants to trade of the mini or axe. They are like the new Ion. There is nothing wrong with them I just wouldnt buy one. I feel there are better guns. That's all.

The last thing you see before you die is your life story.. You better make it a good one.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 PM #9
EmmanuelMV

Not to thread jack, but would a older Dye gun be better? Like a Dm9, in that area?
EmmanuelMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM #10
stix_clgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NoTe View Post
Your Ion can probably be fixed. I would do your research before buying a gun. and if it was me I wouldn't buy a mini.
Really? There are so many electric guns, and so many people have differing opinions, it's hard to decide :-)

I have looked at the Etha and Etek3 as suggested above, both seem to be awesome guns, probably more advanced than I'm ready for, but the more I look, the more I want one.

I've contacted GOG and they said they can repair my ION, so I may go that route, learn what I can about it, maybe upgrade (if it's worth it), etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 PM #11
stix_clgi

Quote:
It's just my opinion. I feel you can buy a way better used gun for the price of the mini. I think there is a reason everyone wants to trade of the mini or axe. They are like the new Ion. There is nothing wrong with them I just wouldnt buy one. I feel there are better guns. That's all.
By the way, C-Note is my nickname among my musician buddies. My name's Chris, and I play bass....so they call me C-Note....funny coincidence....
Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 AM #12
C-NoTe
Bunny Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelMV View Post
Not to thread jack, but would a older Dye gun be better? Like a Dm9, in that area?
Sure the early dms are nice shooting and have always been pretty solid. My only dislike is they are a little on the big side to me compared to a lot of other guns. still not much of a negative. For me I'd rather have an older ego. 07 was a good year 08 and up even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix_clgi View Post
Really? There are so many electric guns, and so many people have differing opinions, it's hard to decide :-)

I have looked at the Etha and Etek3 as suggested above, both seem to be awesome guns, probably more advanced than I'm ready for, but the more I look, the more I want one.

I've contacted GOG and they said they can repair my ION, so I may go that route, learn what I can about it, maybe upgrade (if it's worth it), etc.
I would look at an early ego as stated above. Don't let their original high value fool you they are still a popet style gun easy to maintain and reliable.

As far as your Ion goes search the forums there is like a billion Ion threads here and someone is bound to have had the same problem. I bet you can fix it yourself.

Funny my name is also Chris and I used to play bass

Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM #13
stix_clgi

Quote:
Sure the early dms are nice shooting and have always been pretty solid. My only dislike is they are a little on the big side to me compared to a lot of other guns. still not much of a negative. For me I'd rather have an older ego. 07 was a good year 08 and up even better.

I would look at an early ego as stated above. Don't let their original high value fool you they are still a popet style gun easy to maintain and reliable.

As far as your Ion goes search the forums there is like a billion Ion threads here and someone is bound to have had the same problem. I bet you can fix it yourself.

Funny my name is also Chris and I used to play bass
Really small world huh?

I'm talking to a guy selling a '06 ego with view loader electronic hopper. I offered $250 for it, I hope that's a decent price, I'm waiting to see if he accepts.

My Ion search is steering me away from trying to repair it myself lol. A solenoid for one is about $70-90, my local shop has one for $130, and it works! I figured I'd take the upgrades off of my non working one, and put it on the new one, I think I still save money that way.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:42 PM #14
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

thepaintballkidd supports Team VICIOUS
thepaintballkidd plays in the APPA beginner division
thepaintballkidd supports DLX Technology
thepaintballkidd supports Empire
older egos are a great place to start. I would try to find a used super loader though. Also make sure you have a good quality mask before anything, you cant shoot what you cant see.
thepaintballkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:52 PM #15
stix_clgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintballkidd View Post
older egos are a great place to start. I would try to find a used super loader though. Also make sure you have a good quality mask before anything, you cant shoot what you cant see.
Thx for the advice! I have a a white Dye i3 now... Gonna upgrade to the i4 soon. The View loader comes with the gun, so I figure I start there, upgrade was little later...
Old 03-16-2013, 01:03 PM #16
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

thepaintballkidd supports Team VICIOUS
thepaintballkidd plays in the APPA beginner division
thepaintballkidd supports DLX Technology
thepaintballkidd supports Empire
Quote:
Thx for the advice! I have a a white Dye i3 now... Gonna upgrade to the i4 soon. The View loader comes with the gun, so I figure I start there, upgrade was little later...
Ok thats a solid mask and what about an HPA tank?
thepaintballkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 PM #17
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
What do I want to learn? Everything! Seriously, like I just found out today that there are paintball teams with positions, like back, mid, "dorito" (?). I assume that's speedball, but are there similar positions in woods ball?

If I feel good or athletic enough to play on an official team, what is the tryout process? This is something I'm not ready for obviously, but the team and tournament info I found so far is interesting.

What is considered a "good" electric gun? I'm looking to buy an invert mini from a guy in Gaithersburg, MD.... It has great reviews, lightweight, supposedly the perfect gun? If that's the case, why are there guns that cost $1300 (!$#&@!)?
I'm gonna do searches to find out as much as I can... Nobody likes the guy who asks that one question again, but I appreciate all advice.

Pev's is next on the list... I'm supposed to be going to leesburg in a few weeks, Hogsback I think. I have an Ion I'm trying to replace, and the invert mini if I get in touch with the guy tomorrow, so hopefully soon I'll have a working electric gun of my own.
Woodsball doesn't necessarily have the heavily regimented positions per se quite like speedball does. However, the longer you play both, you will see that the games are completely the same, at least if you approach them from the standpoint of playing aggressively with winning in mind. The fields just happen to look different. You won't hear that comparison very often, and that's because most of the people you'll meet have less than 5 years of playing experience -- meaning they're still lacking experience and knowledge themselves, lol. If I was in your position and had to pick a style of play to emulate, I'd pick speedball, and then apply it to woodsball.

As for equipment, the good news for you is that basically all guns are equal nowadays, at least if you spend $300 or more. High end guns are built to higher standards, but they don't shoot noticeably better. Your Tippmann is capable of the same accuracy as an '13 Ego if you use quality paint, Hp air, and a good paint to bore match. It will just be heavier, larger, and less efficient, and have a lower rate of fire. That said, I'd still go for a used Ego or other high-end before spending money on a new lower-end gun.

Finally, probably the wisest advice I can impart on you is to focus on your skills, not your equipment. You only need RELIABLE equipment to be strong on the field. So once that need is met, your skill will take care of the rest. And most importantly, keep it FUN (as in, not a job) and you'll enjoy this sport for a lifetime.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 PM #18
stix_clgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintballkidd View Post
Ok thats a solid mask and what about an HPA tank?
Thx for the advice paintballkid!
I'll need to look at the brand of the tank again. It's a compressed air, 45/1000 (don't quote me pplleeaasse), 3000psi. Got it at a sale a few years back. It expires November of this year.

I'm gonna stick with this ego I'm getting and practice my aim... Plenty of spare mdf boards in the garage. Hopefully So Md paintball will offer memberships so I can go more often. The other fields are sorta far from me, which requires more gas, etc. If I can go regularly, I know my skills will improve.

Believe me, I'm not try a get sponsored and all that jazz, this is strictly for recreational.... I just like to have decent gear. It be cool to compete for the experience, but I like to keep things lightweight.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM #19
INSAN3 BAN4NA

INSAN3 BAN4NA owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
INSAN3 BAN4NA has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
INSAN3 BAN4NA has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Used Egos are great, a nice hopper (in my opinion) is the valken vmax. It's only $60 but well worth the money
INSAN3 BAN4NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 PM #20
stix_clgi

So I picked up an '06 Eclipse Ego today and had a chance to shoot it in the back yard. I'm sure it's a no duh moment for yall, but the accuracy I experienced with this gun is so far beyond my Lil Tippmann (which is sold to a buddy), I can't wait to play! I'll have to get a different hopper though, the one I got has this rubber thing around the opening (doesn't have a cap) that's supposed to keep the balls in, but I can't hardly load the balls without spilling them everywhere.

Anyways I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I'll clean it up a bit and learn how to take it apart safely.... Can't the wait man lol.....
Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 PM #21
C-NoTe
Bunny Killer

im assuming there is a speedfeed on your hopper. You just gotta slam the edge of the pod in there. they will go in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pltcAwsOjU8