Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 AM #1
RunNgun42

JT brand - junk or quality?

So I'm new to paintball, and took a trip to Dick's sporting goods to get my own loadout and not have to deal with rentals. But almost everything they sold was by a brand called JT. I'm used to big box stores usually offering overpriced crap, so I'm wondering are all these JT brand masks and tanks considered the "cheap stuff"? Or do they actually make a quality product?
RunNgun42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 AM #2
thenoob23
Competitive Edge

thenoob23 is playing at Living Legends VI
thenoob23 supports Team VICIOUS
There RPS paint is good just stay away from stinger and other cheaper boxes of paint.There marker wise though are usally as what I would call backyard guns.Tippman is were it is all at for a begginer.Then later down the road decide if your doing speedball,milsim,or woodsball and then look at more advanced gear such as milsim RAP4,and woodsball A5,and then speedball etek,etha,ego,GOG envy,Empire Mini or Empire Axe etc.
Rotor W/ Speedfeed
Super Freak Kit
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
thenoob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 AM #3
kellan

kellan is playing at Living Legends VI
kellan owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
kellan supports Team VICIOUS
kellan supports Team VICIOUS
kellan supports DLX Technology
JT does make some nice product but I doubt you'd be able to find any of them at Dicks.
kellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 AM #4
thenoob23
Competitive Edge

The only marker I would think worth of buying is the all new JT Impulse....But sitting with a 1050$ price tag it can stay right were it is...on the rack....JT is trying to make a comeback with a new marker now since most people know them as the people making guns under 115$ they tried to make speedball gun doubt anybody will buy it do to no one really trust JT markers anymore.The only good things from them are the better paint they have not stinger then there clothing line such as jersey pants and sometimes jerseys.I would go empire,planet eclipse for clothing and then marker wise start with tippman.But JT also makes a very7 popular mask for 75$ called the JT pro flex about the only good mask they have that and their normal flex.
Rotor W/ Speedfeed
Super Freak Kit
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 AM #5
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Dick's Sporting Goods: Junk. Academy has a slightly more palatable paintball lineup on offer, but still not great.

As a rule the Big Box stores generally don't carry much in the way of quality paintball equipment. The best you could hope for gun-wise would probably be a basic Tippmann 98 Custom or A-5. Pretty much everything else they have on the wall, from masks, to hoppers, to podpacks isn't the kind of stuff that you're going to want to use long term.

JT branded gear is really only worth it when you get into the high end of the market. For you, as a beginner, that's a long way away. The one exception would be their masks, anything of theirs offering the Spectra THERMAL lens will be something you can get some good wear out of going forward. Examples would be the Flex 7, Flex 8, or Pro Flex.

I think you can get Vents/Empire branded masks occasionally at places like Dick's/Academy, those will be the lower end of the product line as well, but they are decent quality. I'd stay away from any of the Tippmann branded masks, I have yet to see or wear one that impresses me in the least.

Basically, if you're coming in to the sport, first, welcome, it's great to have you. If you're buying your own gear, go get a quality mask. A V-Force Grill or Profiler will do the trick on a low budget. The JT Pro Flex will fit the bill also. A good mask is the number one piece of gear you can own. First and foremost because it protects you. Second because even with the best equipment in the world, you still can't hit what you can't see. Third, because even though paintball is super fun, it can be made absolutely miserable by an ill-fitting, uncomfortable, fogged up mask.

If you're looking to buy gear, I'd strongly suggest you try and find a local paintball shop that can help you. You might also consider buying used equipment. Lots of people come and go from paintball, there are tons of lightly used markers, tanks and other equipment floating around out there that can be purchased for pennies on the dollar. For the money you might spend to get entry level gear brand new, you might be able to find much better gear used.

Basically, you want to take your time, do your homework, (as you are now) budget your money, and make smart, quality purchases. Doing so will only serve to improve your overall experience. Remember, if you buy quality the first time, you only need to buy once. Good luck!
...and it's gone.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM #6
m3s0h0rn7
-//-

I'm going to cut through the bs buddy--

JT Soft Goods- Masks, jerseys, pants = GOOD
JT Hardware- JT 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, Impulse, = AVOID
JT .50 Caliber- MAYBE
m3s0h0rn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 AM #7
thenoob23
Competitive Edge

50 cal is super badJT
Rotor W/ Speedfeed
Super Freak Kit
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM #8
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

If you're just looking for a usable Tippmann-clone blowback, the JT Raider and Tactical aren't bad at all.
They're actually rebranded Empire/BT guns and are made in the same factories.

A lot of KEE's products are like that. JT stuff is designed and manufactured alongside Invert, Empire, and BT gear, and the brand it's sold under tends to depend on where it's sold and what it's priced at.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 PM #9
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Go to a paintball shop if you have one in the area. They'l help you out.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals, spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 PM #10
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunNgun42 View Post
So I'm new to paintball, and took a trip to Dick's sporting goods to get my own loadout and not have to deal with rentals. But almost everything they sold was by a brand called JT. I'm used to big box stores usually offering overpriced crap, so I'm wondering are all these JT brand masks and tanks considered the "cheap stuff"? Or do they actually make a quality product?
Check out you local pro shop and support local paintball. You will be happy you did.

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM #11
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VI
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoob23 View Post
The only marker I would think worth of buying is the all new JT Impulse....But sitting with a 1050$ price tag it can stay right were it is...on the rack....JT is trying to make a comeback with a new marker now since most people know them as the people making guns under 115$ they tried to make speedball gun doubt anybody will buy it do to no one really trust JT markers anymore.The only good things from them are the better paint they have not stinger then there clothing line such as jersey pants and sometimes jerseys.I would go empire,planet eclipse for clothing and then marker wise start with tippman.But JT also makes a very7 popular mask for 75$ called the JT pro flex about the only good mask they have that and their normal flex.
Please stop commenting as you can't complete a sensible or plausible post here.

07/08 Ego Vici Board
Dust Black ShockTech AutoCocker snatch grip
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM #12
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
Please stop commenting as you can't complete a sensible or plausible post here.
+1

Stay away OP, go to a local paintball store... see what they have....

1/1 Factory Acid wash green splashed luxe... Cheap.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4281337
rexisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM #13
Dark Side
You will know the power

Annual Supporting Member
Dark Side is BST Trusted
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VI
Dark Side is attending Decay of Nations VII
Glad to see someone else here has a bit of common sense to pass on instead of rambling incoherently.

07/08 Ego Vici Board
Dust Black ShockTech AutoCocker snatch grip
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM #14
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
Don't go to Dick's to buy paintball stuff. Go to a local paintball store. JT makes good soft goods, like masks, pants, jerseys, etc, but I wouldn't use any of their guns.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM #15
FriendlyNudist

I bought some JT gloves a while back from Dick's. They've held up okay after a few washings, but they provide little to no protection to the knuckles.
FriendlyNudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM #16
C-NoTe
Bunny Killer

C-NoTe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Support the industry go to a paintball shop. Not Dicks.............. They can educate you.

The last thing you see before you die is your life story.. You better make it a good one.
C-NoTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM #17
fatalll

only jt product i really like is their proflexes, jt does make some good product, but most is junk.
fatalll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 PM #18
FriendlyNudist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NoTe View Post
Support the industry go to a paintball shop. Not Dicks.............. They can educate you.
...ideally yes. However, not everyone has a paintball shop in their area.
FriendlyNudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:44 PM #19
C-NoTe
Bunny Killer

C-NoTe owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Im assuming if he has a field to play at their is probably at least one shop within driving distance. Im not saying around the corner but unless he is playing backyard painball there has to be something. I'd rather him buy from an online retailer than bigbox.

EDIT: if you are talking about the education part then yea. But others have said it. JT softparts mostly ok. Hardparts not so much.

The last thing you see before you die is your life story.. You better make it a good one.
C-NoTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 PM #20
BatmanLiera

Go to a paintball store or field or ansgear.com
I sudjest start with a gog enmey or tippmann
Don't buy paintball gear at dicks or Walmart lol
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 PM #21
FOOPAgfp
Team FOOPA on the loose

FOOPAgfp supports Empire
Dick's by me has the halo too loader for cheaper than anywhere else, revy's for $40 and some "ok" masks. I agree about the jt spectra thermal lenses, not bad masks, that's what I started with. They also carry some bt soft gear and markers,would I rather go to a paintball shop? Yes. That's not a readily available option for everyone though, I'm fortunate to have 2 within an hour of me.
Halo b v35 w/rip drive
Freak kit, crossfire 70/45
'04 Pro stock, blue,14" j&j ceramic
Eggy2
FOOPAgfp is offline   Reply With Quote