Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Ego 8 or new Axe? (not Axe Pro)
EGO 8 30 42.86%
Empire Axe 40 57.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM #22
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
These are two guns I personally own right now. I have an ego 08, and an axe pro. Only difference between axe and axe pro is axe pro has the redline. I love the sleekness, reliability, and maintenance factors on my ego, that thing never goes down, or even chops paint, and it's just so simple to use. The axe is smoother and quieter. I wouldn't mind using either gun to play. Parts for ego 08 will obviously be harder to find than the axe, but are still out there. The ego 08 will be a bit cheaper than the axe in some cases to buy. Either way, it's a win-win, and totally preference. In my opinion, the ego 08 was the best ego eclipse ever made.
dps093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM #23
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 posts videos on PbNation
rjsonne54 is an NCPA player
rjsonne54 plays in the APPA D4 division
rjsonne54 is a top reviewer
rjsonne54 is Legendary
its worth around 300-400 right now. depending on ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NA]WARLORD View Post
between the two, the Axe. An 08 Ego may have been 1200 in 08, but it isnt worth that now in 2013. I don't actually know what it's worth is, but I do know the Axe is one hell of a performer thats also cheaper then an Etek, quieter, smoother and once broken in a 35.00 bolt will yield you more shots off a 68/4500 then a similarly upgraded Ego. I get about 10 pods off 1 fill on my Axe.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
rjsonne54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM #24
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 is Legendary
which gun would you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
Either way, it's a win-win, and totally preference. In my opinion, the ego 08 was the best ego eclipse ever made.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM #25
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I traded my ego for an axe, and I don't regret it at all
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM #26
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
The ego 8 is the newest marker built for a market that no longer exist. It was built to be fast. It does that well. It does other things well to but the gun was designed when faster cycling speeds meant greater sales. Now, its the opposite. People want softer cycling markers that are easiest of fragile paint in cold weather. The Axe fits this role well. If I were looking for a show off marker to sling paint in FA just for kicks, I'd grab an ego8. Without that desire, I feel the Axe outperforms in about every way. PE customer support is very good, but be ready for them to drop support and parts for the ego8 in a year or two. I have faith that Kee will be at the least making parts for the Axe for quite a while, especially since its still a current run marker and the ego8 is 5 generations old now. If you plan to keep the ego, I'd look to spend $50 or so shortly in spare consumable parts to be a head of any future issues. When something like a qev diaphragm goes and they are no longer made, the marker becomes fairly useless based on a $5 part.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 PM #27
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 is Legendary
that was a good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
The ego 8 is the newest marker built for a market that no longer exist. It was built to be fast. It does that well. It does other things well to but the gun was designed when faster cycling speeds meant greater sales. Now, its the opposite. People want softer cycling markers that are easiest of fragile paint in cold weather. The Axe fits this role well. If I were looking for a show off marker to sling paint in FA just for kicks, I'd grab an ego8. Without that desire, I feel the Axe outperforms in about every way. PE customer support is very good, but be ready for them to drop support and parts for the ego8 in a year or two. I have faith that Kee will be at the least making parts for the Axe for quite a while, especially since its still a current run marker and the ego8 is 5 generations old now. If you plan to keep the ego, I'd look to spend $50 or so shortly in spare consumable parts to be a head of any future issues. When something like a qev diaphragm goes and they are no longer made, the marker becomes fairly useless based on a $5 part.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
Old 03-08-2013, 06:20 PM #28
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 is Legendary
Just added a poll. Please vote! I'd love to see some actual numbers.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 PM #29
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
5 out of 6 paintballers recommend the Axe over the Ego 8 and Benzy2 brought up an excellent point on parts availability.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 PM #30
inferno2inferno

As awesome as an ego 08 is, the problem becomes maintenance in the long run; the parts are simply not available for it. The axe is the better option based on that factor alone.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 AM #31
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
This idea that parts are unavailable is nonsense. All consumable items on the 08 are readily available, and there's not much else that can go wrong with the marker.

I don't see parts availability as a concern, so I'd suggest that you not let it influence your decision. The biggest difference I see is that the ego 8 will be 2-300 cheaper without sacrificing performance. Spend that extra cash on a nice mask or loader, or better yet on practice. An ego8 with $200 for practice will get you more eliminations than an axe without that practice.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 AM #32
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by theVicious1 View Post
This idea that parts are unavailable is nonsense. All consumable items on the 08 are readily available, and there's not much else that can go wrong with the marker.

I don't see parts availability as a concern, so I'd suggest that you not let it influence your decision. The biggest difference I see is that the ego 8 will be 2-300 cheaper without sacrificing performance. Spend that extra cash on a nice mask or loader, or better yet on practice. An ego8 with $200 for practice will get you more eliminations than an axe without that practice.
Ask any ego 5/6 owner where to get replacement QEVs and then tell me parts availability isn't an issue. Ask them where to get a replacement noid that costs less than the complete marker and then tell me availability isn't an issue. When PE turns off support, the market runs dry quickly on the consumable parts. Post about buying an ego 5/6 and all but everyone will tell you to skip them, not based on performance, but based on the total lack of available replacements.

I'd jump on an ego8 for $300 less than a new axe, but that would be $140 and they don't run that price. You'll be hard pressed to find any non-desperate seller to let go of an ego 5 for that price. In three years, when you need something like a diaphragm, which egos are known to go through, good luck finding them. At that point, the axe is going to be much more useful. How many ego5/6s get parted out because the owner couldn't find a moderately priced replacement?

I just went through it with my ego5. I paid a premium to get everything back up to as new and I know in a year or two I'm going to have to do it again (and I've bought for then ahead of time.). My intimidator though is still easy toget parts for even though its going on 11 years old. PE won't do a thing for my 7 year old ego and its proprietary parts.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 AM #33
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
I'm aware of the 05/06 problems, but that's also a very different platform as far as parts. Independent FRM, ram sleeve with irregular threads, and unserviceable qevs. All these changed for the 07+, eliminating the issues.

The 07+ have no problems with irreplaceable parts, and qev diaphrams are readily available so the 08 qev block will be just fine. Solenoid expensive? Meh. Solenoids rarely go out. In addition you have equal chance of a solenoid going out on an 08 as anything else, it is a robust piece designed for millions of cycles. Also, outside of DP most marker solenoids are expensive.

What will go wrong on an 08 that does not involve readily available consumables? Nothing I can think of, but if there is I'd like to hear in case there's something I didn't think of.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:56 AM #34
510waffles
Call Me Maybe

510waffles owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
510waffles owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
510waffles has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
510waffles supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Wow, lots of anti ego. Ego 8 is solid, cheaper than bnib axe and is a more reliable platform. Personally, the strength of egos is their durability, ease of maintenance, and ability to perform within 90% of their potential ALL the time. To summarize, when you pull an ego out of your gear bag, whether that be every weekend or after a year long break, it will perform how it is expected to. It is simply a workhorse high end marker.

Nothing against the axe. I've heard good things, it is clearly popular for a reason, and the Times I've shot it have not left me disappointed. I'm just a huge fan of reliability, and ego owns that market.

A side note on a previous post, eclipse has incredible customer service. To say another company is better at cs is subjective at best, as pe will go above and beyond to help both new and used customers. I'm sure kee is great, Several of my friends teams enjoy their kee sponsorships for this reason, but it would not be an arguing point. Now, if you mentioned DP customer service.....lol. I keed , ikeed.

Gl choosing, both are solid options. I would choose the ego 8 for it's track record of performance and reliability.
QEVs
Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM #35
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Solenoid expensive? Meh. Solenoids rarely go out. In addition you have equal chance of a solenoid going out on an 08 as anything else, it is a robust piece designed for millions of cycles. Also, outside of DP most marker solenoids are expensive.
Axe solenoids are only $30 IF you even have to pay. The shot quality of the axe is far superior, I prefer the feel, it is much quieter, just as reliable, better customer service. The 08 ego doesn't even compete IMO.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM #36
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
I'm aware of the 05/06 problems, but that's also a very different platform as far as parts. Independent FRM, ram sleeve with irregular threads, and unserviceable qevs. All these changed for the 07+, eliminating the issues.

The 07+ have no problems with irreplaceable parts, and qev diaphrams are readily available so the 08 qev block will be just fine. Solenoid expensive? Meh. Solenoids rarely go out. In addition you have equal chance of a solenoid going out on an 08 as anything else, it is a robust piece designed for millions of cycles. Also, outside of DP most marker solenoids are expensive.

What will go wrong on an 08 that does not involve readily available consumables? Nothing I can think of, but if there is I'd like to hear in case there's something I didn't think of.
Two years back there weren't issues getting red QEVs either but then PE quit supporting those markers. The day they decide the 08 is to old is the day those QEV diaphragms turn from easy to find to expensive and rare.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 PM #37
rjsonne54
Best Coast is no Coast

Annual Supporting Member
rjsonne54 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
Two years back there weren't issues getting red QEVs either but then PE quit supporting those markers. The day they decide the 08 is to old is the day those QEV diaphragms turn from easy to find to expensive and rare.
As popular as the Ego 8 is, don't you think that they will continue to make them for a couple more years. It's not that old of a gun and still works great. The 06 from the 07 had a lot of changes making it a way better gun. I think that is part of the reason it is hard to find parts for 05,06. Nobody really wants to use them.

TEAM VIDEO HERE!!!

MIDWEST MAYHEM
SDSU JACKRABBITS
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 PM #38
aaaa1236
plop plop plop

aaaa1236 helped look for balloons
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends III
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends V
aaaa1236 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
You're not just wrong, you're dead wrong. I bough a used axe and so far Kee sent me a new board, new relay and a new solenoid for FREE. Having owned multiple PE guns, they won't do anything like that for you. The most they've sent me for free were some screws. It's really not subjective, it's factual.
Wow your axe had that many things go bad?

Ouch, so much for reliability.

On the other hand pe has always given me awesome support. I wasnt the original owner of my first ego9 and they sent me the updates free anyway.
aaaa1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:23 PM #39
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaa1236 View Post

On the other hand pe has always given me awesome support. I wasnt the original owner of my first ego9 and they sent me the updates free anyway.
Nice try, but no. The board in the gun was the old optimus board and I wanted a shockwave so I didn't have to open the grips for programming. Also, it appeared as if the previous owner stripped the relay, so I asked for a new one. I also don't think I have a bad noid... I think my troubles were related to the relay but they sent one anyway.

Oh, and did I mention I bough both axes used?

Oh and yeah, the "updates" to the ego 9 being a plank/ barb kit? Haha... that's hardly on par with even the board.

Last edited by blueshifty : 03-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM #40
aaaa1236
plop plop plop

aaaa1236 helped look for balloons
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends III
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends V
aaaa1236 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Funny none of my egos ever needed any of those replaced

We are talking an original, deluxe plank and barb kit here, none of that offbrand junk

Last edited by aaaa1236 : 03-09-2013 at 03:31 PM.
aaaa1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM #41
blueshifty

Quote:
Funny none of my egos ever needed any of those replaced

We are talking an original, deluxe plank and barb kit here, none of that offbrand junk
You must be trolling or can't read one.

The plank/ barb kit from paintball showcase "name brand" is only like $14. When eclipse sends you a free board because you want an update or a new reg because the previous owner marred it then you can say something. It's like buying an ego7 and asking for an ego8 board because you like it better. Not to mention the axe is smoother, quieter and just as efficient as your ego9.

Edit: Just checked and it's $9.99.

Last edited by blueshifty : 03-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 PM #42
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Quote:

Egos also are loud and kick like mules. If you think reliability is super important then yes, PE is the gun for you.

If you want a gun that actually shoots nice, look elsewhere. I had an 08 Ego and it was consistent over the chrono but its shot was so unpleasant compared to literally every other gun I've owned in nearly 10 years of playing that I sold it after one practice. There are more important factors out there than "can go without being maintained for ages". I take care of my stuff, I'd rather have a gun that needs some tuning but shoots like a dream than a PE gun that I can neglect but will shoot like **** regardless.