Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 PM #1
byarosh201

Sim City

So I just got an email announcing that the new Sim City has been released. www.simcity.com

I'm thinking about buying it just because of all the wonderful things I heard about the new engine.
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 PM #2
AceSG
freakphotography.com/

AceSG is a Paintball photographer
AceSG owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
lol same... wanna team up if i get my too xD
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM #3
byarosh201

Yeah I'm prolly gonna download it in a few minutes
byarosh201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM #4
e_friccero
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
I've heard terrible things about it. Even if you want to play private single player you must be connected to their servers because of the always on DRM. Their servers have been full of problems and wait times.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...ty_before_bed/
e_friccero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM #5
jamest91

jamest91 helped look for balloons
jamest91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jamest91 is for the Gunfight
jamest91 supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_friccero View Post
I've heard terrible things about it. Even if you want to play private single player you must be connected to their servers because of the always on DRM. Their servers have been full of problems and wait times.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...ty_before_bed/
just because its an online game doesnt mean it is "terrible things" to be said. it has tons of new features that make it one of the best, if not the best, simcity made to date.

it had a rocky release because of EA, but i say it definitely worth a buy, especially if you can connect with some friends to run with.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM #6
HOSLAY3R
Prince of Biomass

I've purchased it already and have it downloaded. I am now anxiously waiting to get off work to play!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM #7
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest91 View Post
just because its an online game doesnt mean it is "terrible things" to be said. it has tons of new features that make it one of the best, if not the best, simcity made to date.

it had a rocky release because of EA, but i say it definitely worth a buy, especially if you can connect with some friends to run with.
For every "new" feature, it lost a feature. The size is tiny. People are being placed on hold in order to play a ****ing single player game.

This about sums it up:

AAAAND, to add icing to the cake, thanks to ****ty servers and horrible online ethics, people like this guy are having to lose millions of credits and roll back their city:

Yup. What a fantastic game.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 03-05-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM #8
jamest91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
For every "new" feature, it lost a feature. The size is tiny. People are being placed on hold in order to play a ****ing single player game.

This about sums it up:

AAAAND, to add icing to the cake, thanks to ****ty servers and horrible online ethics, people like this guy are having to lose millions of credits and roll back their city:

Yup. What a fantastic game.

so you're telling me.....a game did not have a perfect release and is getting some negative reviews because of it?!

MY GOD!!! THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM #9
Treghc

Despite a bad release, little can be done to change what everyone doesn't like about the game.

But hey, it's cool. You have curved roads now! **** subways, terraforming, save & load, placing airports, arcological placement, and causing natural disasters. The pretty lights and curved roads make up for it all! Hell, it's even worth PAYING for DLC just to have a little more space cuz you're playing in a ****ing birdcage.

Why people give in to antics like what is being done with this game is absurd and completely beyond my comprehension.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 03-05-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM #10
jamest91

have you even played the game? natural disasters occur and u can place air ports wherever they fit. no there arent subways but you have numerous other forms of public transportation.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM #11
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D

Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
You have to be connected to play single player wtf? Am I understanding that correctly?

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM #12
jamest91

its a drm yes. so the game has online within it all the time like chatting with ur friends list, checking city leaderboards, etc.

think of it like an mmo in a way. when servers r down for update, the game will be unavailable.

hopefully that makes sense. this is not a game to get if u wanna play while ur internet is down or anythi
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM #13
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D

Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
I see. I was going to pick this up but I'm over it then. That's exactly when I wanted to play it haha whenever my internet is down or I don't have access is when I break out civ5. Oh well.

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM #14
HOSLAY3R
Prince of Biomass

been waiting all ****ing day to play this **** to get home and find that I can't even join or create a ****ing game. Mother ****er!

and for the record, I expected this but I'll still ***** and complain about since I just dropped $60 on this ****.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM #15
pflfranco
It's Josh

pflfranco is playing at Living Legends VI
pflfranco supports Team VICIOUS
pflfranco supports Team VICIOUS
pflfranco posts videos on PbNation
pflfranco is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pflfranco is Legendary
pflfranco supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSLAY3R View Post
been waiting all ****ing day to play this **** to get home and find that I can't even join or create a ****ing game. Mother ****er!

and for the record, I expected this but I'll still ***** and complain about since I just dropped $60 on this ****.
Turn your swear filter off my friend, your post will look much better.
pflfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM #16
Tooshka
FBGM

The DRM sounds exactly like Diablo 3's. Blizzard had the same problem with servers being overly full for the first week or so, but then things smoothed out.

Not defending EA or anything. Just saying that this isn't the first time (and probably won't be the last) an internet connection has been forced on a game.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 AM #17
Treghc

Quote:
have you even played the game? natural disasters occur and u can place air ports wherever they fit. no there arent subways but you have numerous other forms of public transportation.
The point is that you can't save the game, choose a disaster to **** with your city, then later resume that saved game. ****ing your city over with natural disasters was a hell of a lot of fun. I've spent countless hours doing it just for the hell of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooshka View Post
The DRM sounds exactly like Diablo 3's. Blizzard had the same problem with servers being overly full for the first week or so, but then things smoothed out.

Not defending EA or anything. Just saying that this isn't the first time (and probably won't be the last) an internet connection has been forced on a game.
And this DRM is likely to be the greatest downfall for Sim City, just like it was for Diablo 3. It's likely part of the reason Jay Wilson stepped down; he lost a huge audience due to DRM alone.

I cannot sit by and support this DRM bull****. Not for single player experiences. Multiplayer, I can completely understand. But if I buy a game, I want to be sure I can play the damned thing.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 AM #18
jamest91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
The point is that you can't save the game, choose a disaster to **** with your city, then later resume that saved game. ****ing your city over with natural disasters was a hell of a lot of fun. I've spent countless hours doing it just for the hell of it.

And this DRM is likely to be the greatest downfall for Sim City, just like it was for Diablo 3. It's likely part of the reason Jay Wilson stepped down; he lost a huge audience due to DRM alone.

I cannot sit by and support this DRM bull****. Not for single player experiences. Multiplayer, I can completely understand. But if I buy a game, I want to be sure I can play the damned thing.
give a week or so to let the new released game traffic mellow out and the server connectivity thing will not be an issue at all.

idk why ur getting so worked up over it.

Also, there is a tab in the game that allows for calling in natural disasters. So you know.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM #19
Alex Burrows
The 1% In Training

Bought the game last night at 530pm pacific time, downloaded and installed in under 10 minutes, connected to N/A west server and proceeded to play for about 4.5 hours straight no downtime, no connectivity issues, no nothing

Love how people always gotta find Somthing to complain about, if I didnt come across this thread I wouldn't have even know there were any issues at all.

Omg I can't game out when I'm on a road trip!!!! If your somewhere without connectivity and need to be gaming maybe you need to slow down a little...

Also it's always these people with these complete **** rigs/connections who are always the ones with problems lol, people ranted on about BF3 issues, Skyrim issues, now simcity issues..buy a computer over $500 and maybe you'll get passed your slowdowns which you blame on server side problems.
Alex Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM #20
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burrows View Post
Also it's always these people with these complete **** rigs/connections who are always the ones with problems lol, people ranted on about BF3 issues, Skyrim issues, now simcity issues..buy a computer over $500 and maybe you'll get passed your slowdowns which you blame on server side problems.
This is sloppy lump of horse****.

When D3 came out, I had top of the line PC. What's the point of having a top of the line PC when I can't even play the game I want to play? Granted, server issues were resolved after a while and were to be expected.

Quote:
give a week or so to let the new released game traffic mellow out and the server connectivity thing will not be an issue at all.

idk why ur getting so worked up over it.

Also, there is a tab in the game that allows for calling in natural disasters. So you know.
I'm sure server connectivity will be resolved over time. That's just the tip of the iceberg. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't squeeze the city size inside a shoe box, allowed you to save/load so you can play with natural disasters, gave all methods of transportation and allowed you to customize as much as you did in the game they made over 10 years ago. Add in the fact that you HAVE to be online to play what is largely a single player game and you have a rather ****ed up concoction of a "game" for your fans to experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burrows View Post
Omg I can't game out when I'm on a road trip!!!! If your somewhere without connectivity and need to be gaming maybe you need to slow down a little...
1. People want to play when they want to play. You have no place trying to act as supreme judge that dictates when people are allowed to play games. So please, just can it.

2. You're telling me that if I'm on a road trip that requires me to be in the car for 10+ hours, I should slow down a little? Playing a game would be a great way to pass time. Am I supposed to just sit down and stare out the window for 10 hours? Please...

3. What if I lose internet? What if their servers are down for upgrades? If I paid $60 for this game, I damn well better be able to PLAY IT. What an absurd notion it is to not let me play the game I paid these guys for. I'm no slave. I don't like being told "okay, you can play now."

---

If you like the game, good for you. I expected better and I'll continue to voice my opinion about it. Don't even try and pretend you think this is the proper direction for the franchise.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 03-06-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM #21
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
I am sincerely afraid for my sanity and personal hygiene should I buy this game.