Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM #22
Mason74

Mason74 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Mason74 supports Team VICIOUS
Mason74 is for the Gunfight
Mason74 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I had fun, even though we played like crap. Aside from that I know I didn't have trouble with the refs, but I was playing can most of the day, so I didn't have the rub issue on field 2 that other players were complaining about. That seemed to be more on the D Side from what I could tell, and heard.

That said, I did have trouble with paint checks, and other players for us did, as well when not playing on the extremities.

Other than that, never played a sport where everyone was happy with the officiating, so the only thing that can be changed would be the rules. Only thing I would say, is make it hits only, not oh I saw it glance off you, and then burst in the air 3 feet behind you.
Mason74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM #23
whitekidintheghetto
Axe + Cashews?

whitekidintheghetto plays in the PSP
whitekidintheghetto owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
whitekidintheghetto supports Team VICIOUS
whitekidintheghetto plays in the APPA D3 division
funniest thing was that cool team calling G count Wiener count.
"Back right is a wiener"
"how many wieners do we have"
so on so forth
whitekidintheghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM #24
tj nivens

I don't like the race to two because it means more paint and more money. and as for the reffs I saw good Reffing and I saw horrible Reffing. In my opinion the new reffs need to retake a reff clinic. maybe a little rec ball Reffing could help them out.
tj nivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 PM #25
Pr1m0
Givin' um the Switch

Annual Supporting Member
Pr1m0 plays in the PSP
Pr1m0 is for the Gunfight
Pr1m0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Pr1m0 supports DLX Technology
Erin is talking about the match before PCR and Illusion.

First game illusion and PCR all bodies dead but illusion got the pull.
Second game PCR rolls Illusion
Third game Illusion with no bodies alive for either team but has the Pull.

At least I think that was it.

We won 2 games By points. 60-50. or some ****. They ROLLED us second game 100-0. So after 3 games Yes they had more points, although we "won" two of the matches.

I see their view point.

For me, i saw it as its not Race. Its best of 3.

Meaning whoever wins two of the three games win the series. The points are only a factor for moving up to top4. Where the bracket has to be redone. Unlike in other sports where the winner TAKES the seed of the two teams. It is redone by points.

Now that I think i explained that.

Refs DID follow players around and check at every bump. It was quite hard to move around without being trailed.

I didn't see TOO many terrible calls on our field. One against 40F was somewhat confusing for both teams. /rant

Had fun at the event nonetheless.

DLX+Virtue=Magic.

Probably the only Active SF guy still competing in Paintball -__-

Killing for Red Leg Action Sports
THAT GEARBAG SALE! Flex Galore!
Pr1m0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM #26
GrimReafer

GrimReafer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
GrimReafer plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrorCode6263 View Post
I had no complaints except the damn chronos. One was reading me at 270, the other at 240 and 2 didn't work in the morning.

I thought the refs did well 7/10s of the time but yeah they missed some obvious calls however they made the hard ones too. I thought the overshooting call on field 2 was a bit extreme and the major on field 1 when the guy took a shot in his pack while bumping to the corner (didn't even shoot when he got there) was odd. Need to know what warrants a major, what's a minor.

Great event though, can't wait till the next!
The guy that got the major on field one was shot in his butt under his pack. It happened in one bunker. He then took off running to another bunker with a ref chasing him. It was an obvious hit that he did not address immediately. He couldnt see it but should have been asking for a paint check before he ran.
2011 CFOA D5 Champions
Paintball Charleston - CFOA - RAZA - theChive
GrimReafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM #27
usedpaintballstuff

usedpaintballstuff plays in the PSP
usedpaintballstuff plays in the APPA D3 division
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitekidintheghetto View Post
funniest thing was that cool team calling G count Wiener count.
"Back right is a wiener"
"how many wieners do we have"
so on so forth
That was funny of 40 Factory...I saw this player walking to the dead box..He didnt know anyone was alive and a girl leaned out and blasted him...everyone was laughing.
2009 Regional 3-Man Champs
2008 World Cup Champs
usedpaintballstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM #28
Atmosfearballer
Carolina Cup Liaison

has been a member for 10 years
Atmosfearballer plays in the PSP
Atmosfearballer donated to help Peyton Trent
Atmosfearballer plays in the APPA D3 division
I like race to 2, but a little more notice than less than a week before game day that the format was going to be different would have been nice.

Some teams are on tight budgets and so finding out your paint bill will be twice as much as you thought it would be less than a week before a tournament, can cause problems.

The field layout was nice, however its obvious the field was constructed in a manner to encourage a lot of "camping". This requires a lot of paint to be shot. Again, when folks are on tight budgets, especially in this weak economy, we are just fortunate to be able to play. Encouraging large paint consumption can drive teams away if not careful. I understand the business aspect of things and therefore as a consumer, I am voicing my opinion.

Overall great event, even with the delays. It happens. Things have aways happened. It's part of the game. The reffing was, for the most part superb on field 2. Some of the new guys are rough around the edges. We've all been there, so no sense in acting all high and mighty about it. They need to learn to judge the league. Only way to learn, is to be thrown to the wolves, and they were!

Instead of ripping the refs in a forum, how about bringing constructive criticism to the field head and ultimate ref while at the event to help make the league a better place to play. That's exactly what I did when we encountered questionable issues on game day.

I've personally reffed this league for 10+ years. I know how these "entitleist" players can be. The only thing these refs owe you is a game reffed to the best of their ability. They gave that. What the newer guys need is positive reinforcement and encouragement to get better and craft their trade. Cut them some slack.

-off soap box now, sorry.
HATE Squad 2012, 2013, 2014
Carolina Cup Series - Separating the Men and Women, from the Boys and Girls!
Atmosfearballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM #29
whitekidintheghetto
Axe + Cashews?

whitekidintheghetto plays in the PSP
whitekidintheghetto owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
whitekidintheghetto supports Team VICIOUS
whitekidintheghetto plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedpaintballstuff View Post
That was funny of 40 Factory...I saw this player walking to the dead box..He didnt know anyone was alive and a girl leaned out and blasted him...everyone was laughing.
had to be makala brooks
whitekidintheghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM #30
jdogg246

jdogg246 plays in the PSP
jdogg246 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jdogg246 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jdogg246 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinUSMC View Post
Last year u could play a race to 2 and move on cause of your overall points value out of the 3 matches we had the higher point value but because they had a higher point value the us on game one and three the moved on cause they won the match due to point value.
Match1
Them 60
Us 50

Match 2
Them 0
Us 100

Match 3
Them 85
Us 30

Overall
Them 145
Us 180

Them moves on. Would have been nice to know that. But we know now for next event. Didn't play up to par till it was to late any ways but yeah. Also the refs SUCKED. Every move u made a ref would check us. In a 1 on 1 the refs would give away a players position. Refs-stay to the side and run in when someone is hit. Stop checking them when they make a move through every knuckle on the snake and the only other opponent on the field is the guy in Ds not paying attention.
Format for D4/D5 5-manWe will run the traditional format again this year. Only difference is that as soon as the prelims are over we will go to a best 2 out of 3 format(not a race 2) for the remainder of the event
Quoted from the 2013 info thread stickied above.
The way I take best 2 of 3 is first to win 2 points. This was stated a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by jdogg246 : 03-04-2013 at 09:03 PM.
jdogg246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM #31
jdogg246

I thought the event went smooth with the exception of the late finish but thats expected for the first event. Huge thumbs up to the cfoa.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 PM #32
TehTerribleRef

Just to clarify, I saw very FEW first-season referees on Sun. Most were returning CFOA officials with a lot of experience. I only saw one or two new faces.

So you can't simply blame "first-season" reffing.
TehTerribleRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:18 PM #33
usedpaintballstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg246 View Post
Format for D4/D5 5-manWe will run the traditional format again this year. Only difference is that as soon as the prelims are over we will go to a best 2 out of 3 format(not a race 2) for the remainder of the event
Quoted from the 2013 info thread stickied above.
The way I take best 2 of 3 is first to win 2 points. This was stated a couple weeks ago.
If by 2 points you mean...out score the other team twice...you would be correct..
2008 World Cup Champs
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM #34
jdogg246

Quote:
If by 2 points you mean...out score the other team twice...you would be correct..
Yea thats what I seen it meaning so the rules were definately clarified well before the event so no rules were changed last minute
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM #35
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg246 View Post
Yea thats what I seen it meaning so the rules were definately clarified well before the event so no rules were changed last minute
Correct. Best 2 of 3 is the first team to outscore the other team twice as far as my understanding goes... but I just make calls on the field, so there may be more or less to it.

CFOA/PSP Certified Referee
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM #36
GrimReafer

GrimReafer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
GrimReafer plays in the APPA D4 division
Well, heres a different view point.

I thought the reffing was pretty good. Even as a ref I nhave my own opinion about things that happen and calls made as many are judgement calls.

As far as teams playing went, I saw a lot of people choking on making moves up the dorito side when up bodies. I think that one of the teams (ombres was with them, bunker patrol maybe?) dorito side was propelled by ombres, heard him yelling at him to move up all day. Communicagion between teams and front/support players was pretty good. G count was kept very well all day (weiner. Lol) and as far as the attitudes of players, lots of sportsmanship and very little whining. Only maybe two calls that I remember hearing lip about. Most understood and accepted why they got them. Enjoyed the event, had a good time, ready for the next one.

As far as complaining about the reffing, new refs, experienced refs, we all make mistakes. There is always a learning curve. It was the first event it can only improve.

I was the dorito side ref on the white field closest to the cfoa trailer. If any of you have any questions on a call I made or something you saw me doing, feel free to pm me.
2011 CFOA D5 Champions
Paintball Charleston - CFOA - RAZA - theChive
GrimReafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 PM #37
PCLaX17
Wait...what?

PCLaX17 supports Team VICIOUS
PCLaX17 plays in the APPA D4 division
PCLaX17 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReafer View Post
Well, heres a different view point.

I thought the reffing was pretty good. Even as a ref I nhave my own opinion about things that happen and calls made as many are judgement calls.

As far as teams playing went, I saw a lot of people choking on making moves up the dorito side when up bodies. I think that one of the teams (ombres was with them, bunker patrol maybe?) dorito side was propelled by ombres, heard him yelling at him to move up all day. Communicagion between teams and front/support players was pretty good. G count was kept very well all day (weiner. Lol) and as far as the attitudes of players, lots of sportsmanship and very little whining. Only maybe two calls that I remember hearing lip about. Most understood and accepted why they got them. Enjoyed the event, had a good time, ready for the next one.

As far as complaining about the reffing, new refs, experienced refs, we all make mistakes. There is always a learning curve. It was the first event it can only improve.

I was the dorito side ref on the white field closest to the cfoa trailer. If any of you have any questions on a call I made or something you saw me doing, feel free to pm me.
I agree, I also thought reffing was above average and pretty crisp yesterday. There was one instance where I was unknowingly hit on my hopper while I popped back in, it was pretty quick, and I was called on a minor rather then being flagged for an underserved major. My point is that the ref who called it understood and realized how fluid my motion was and made a pretty good judgement between the minor and an major based off my unknowing of being hit. My team won the point regardless but the ref made a damn good call. Props to that ref if he reads this.

Last edited by PCLaX17 : 03-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.
PCLaX17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 PM #38
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Good event, reffing will never be perfect but it wasn't horrible, even if a few calls didn't go our way. All in all, I had fun and the only complaint I can have is that I didn't personally play better.

See everyone at event 2.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM #39
usedpaintballstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReafer View Post
As far as teams playing went, I saw a lot of people choking on making moves up the dorito side when up bodies. I think that one of the teams (ombres was with them, bunker patrol maybe?) dorito side was propelled by ombres, heard him yelling at him to move up all day.
We didnt have a problem moving up the D side...but I can understand we teams didnt...I was surprised that teams didnt play the snake different..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCLaX17 View Post
I agree, I also thought reffing was above average and pretty crisp yesterday. There was one instance where I was unknowingly hit on my hopper while I popped back in, it was pretty quick, and I was called on a minor rather then being flagged for an underserved major. My point is that the ref who called it understood and realized how fluid my motion was and made a pretty good judgement between the minor and an major based off my unknowing of being hit. My team won the point regardless but the ref made a damn good call. Props to that ref if he reads this.
If you dont get spray on your lense you rarely get a major..in fact ...in PSP (which I realize we are not)...its not an obvious hit if no spray...just sayin

SO NO ONE had a camera and took pics...lol
2008 World Cup Champs
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM #40
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
If you dont get spray on your lense you rarely get a major..in fact ...in PSP (which I realize we are not)...its not an obvious hit if no spray...just sayin

Where'd you hear this?

Good event. Finished a little late but we were pre day light savings and rolling as fadt as we could! Cant wait for the next one and congrats to all teams!

CFOA/PSP Certified Referee
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM #41
Pr1m0
Givin' um the Switch

Annual Supporting Member
Pr1m0 plays in the PSP
Pr1m0 is for the Gunfight
Pr1m0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Pr1m0 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
We didnt have a problem moving up the D side...but I can understand we teams didnt...I was surprised that teams didnt play the snake different..

Pfft we played snake. All freaking day.

DLX+Virtue=Magic.

Probably the only Active SF guy still competing in Paintball -__-

Killing for Red Leg Action Sports
THAT GEARBAG SALE! Flex Galore!
Pr1m0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 PM #42
usedpaintballstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr1m0 View Post
Pfft we played snake. All freaking day.
Guess you didnt see the word different....what team was you on anyways?
2008 World Cup Champs