PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM #1
mobomelter

mobomelter has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Etha Break Beam Eyes problems

I've recently been having an issue with the break bream eye system on my Etha. Things I've tried/checked are below.
  • Cleaned the eyes
  • Cleaned the eye pipes
  • Verified they were plugged in
  • Verified the wires aren't frayed or broken
  • Put in a new battery

I'm not sure what else to check at this point. The issue is upon turning on the gun the eyes go off and the gun functions normally. Does it sound like my eyes are shot?
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 AM #2
7lash
Taking it up a LeVe1

has been a member for 10 years
7lash works for a Paintball manufacturer
7lash plays in the PSP
7lash owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Can you be more specific and I will try to help. When you say that the eyes go off, how do you know this to be the case? What is the indicator doing?
7lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM #3
mobomelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7lash View Post
Can you be more specific and I will try to help. When you say that the eyes go off, how do you know this to be the case? What is the indicator doing?
Upon the first trigger pull the LED switches from blinking blue (regardless of if there is a ball in the breech) to blinking purple and the begins to fire. Unless I'm mistaken blinking purple = eyes off.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 AM #4
7lash
Taking it up a LeVe1

7lash plays in the PSP
Flashing purple means that the eyes have been disabled temporarily by the circuit board because it has not detected the bolt move forwards to fire the paintball.

Try this:
1. Degas the Etha and remove the loader and any paint from the breech.

2. Switch on the Etha. The indicator should flash yellow to show that there is no ball in the breech. If it flashes yellow then go to step 3, otherwise -
a. Something could be blocking the eyes: check that the breech is clear; check that the eyes are aligned with the eye holes; check that the eyes are the correct way around; check that the red coloured (colored) eye is on the right hand side of the breech.
b. Something could be shorting the eyes: check that the eye socket on the circuit board is free of paint and water; check that the solder joints for that connector are free of paint.

3. Push a fluffy stick (or a finger) down the feed neck. The indicator should flash light-blue to show that an object has been detected.

If 2 and 3 work okay then check the condition of the eye covers to ensure that the eyes are not dislodged during a shot. It is possible that the bolt is moving too slowly. Are you getting a full velocity shot?

Please try the above and let me know how you get on.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 AM #5
mobomelter

I'll try to check the symptoms again but here's what I've verified so far.

1. Done

2. The indicator flashes blue until I pull the trigger and then it immediately switches to purple.
a. I checked the breech and the eye pipes. Both eyes are on the correct sides with the small nub pointing into the eye pipe. I had trouble aligning one of them but that problem was solved.
b. The circuit board is clean and I couldn't see any broken solder joints or a dirty connection to the board

3. I've tried putting something down the feedneck right after turning the gun on but the LED continues to blink blue and then switches to purple upon pulling the trigger.

I shot the gun before putting it away while it was having an issue and while I couldn't check the velocity it appeared to be firing just like it would with the eyes on.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 AM #6
7lash
Taking it up a LeVe1

7lash plays in the PSP
Don't worry about the velocity, based upon what you've already said I believe that the problem is with the eye loom itself.

Have you registered the Etha for warranty? If so then you can contact one of our service centers (I believe the closest to you is paintballwholesalers.com) and arrange a replacement. Alternatively call or email our RI office (gerry.b@planeteclipse.com).
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 AM #7
mobomelter

Yeah I registered when I got it. I checked the wires from front to back but they must have something I can't see wrong with them. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM #8
p8ntshoota
Eclipse Tech Support

p8ntshoota is a Supporting Member
p8ntshoota works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntshoota owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
two questions...

1) Are you testing this with your finger or paint? If you are using your finger...the problem is the eyes read your finger as though a paintball never left the breech.

2) Have you checked to make certain that your eyes are firmly seated in the breech? It may be that the receiver side has jumped out of the hole and is actually reading the body rather than the paint.

I Love that it takes longer to open a package for a repair on an Ego than it takes to actually fix the gun!

For the Love of Paintball....Use OILon the rammer!

If you THINK you're a Super Hero...You're NOT! SLIDE RIGHT!!!
p8ntshoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM #9
mobomelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntshoota View Post
two questions...

1) Are you testing this with your finger or paint? If you are using your finger...the problem is the eyes read your finger as though a paintball never left the breech.

2) Have you checked to make certain that your eyes are firmly seated in the breech? It may be that the receiver side has jumped out of the hole and is actually reading the body rather than the paint.
Tried using both paint and my finger. Same result.

Yes I've double checked they are firmly held in the breech. I even tried holding them in without the covers and still had the same problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM #10
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
Sounds like they got pinched somewhere during installation or a there's a problem in the connection.
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM #11
mobomelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenguyen View Post
Sounds like they got pinched somewhere during installation or a there's a problem in the connection.
That's what it appears to be. I can't find a break or pinch in the wires anywhere but that's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM #12
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobomelter View Post
That's what it appears to be. I can't find a break or pinch in the wires anywhere but that's the only thing that makes sense.
I had the same issue as well but it turns out my eyes were dirty from breaking paint this past weekend. After I cleaned them and the eye holes, it fixed itself. the connection to the board between the grip I noticed is very small could be bent too much there of the molex connector is disconnected too much from the actual wiring. I would try to find a pair of spare eyes and see if that works or not so you can find a solution.
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 PM #13
mobomelter

Eyes were broken, sadly. Dropped a new set in and problem solved.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 AM #14
Dylcar

Etha eyes issue?

Hi guys, just found this thread after having problems with both mine and my brothers etha's. When turn my marker on the led flashes yellow and does not sense anything(my finger or a ball). when i unplug the eyes the led starts to flash blue.

My brothers etha does a similar thing. When i turn it on the led flashes blue until i fire the first shot, it then goes to the fast flashing purple setting indicating a blockage and fires with the 'eyes off'.

I was thinking the eyes are faulty. I live in Australia and i have no service centres nearby. Just posting on here while i wait to be verified by the planet eclipse website.

They are both still making good velocity.

Thanks

Last edited by Dylcar : 05-29-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Dylcar is offline   Reply With Quote