Old 03-03-2013, 12:47 PM #1
fullofpaint

fullofpaint owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fullofpaint has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fullofpaint has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fullofpaint has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
fullofpaint has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
New to the league...

This is going to be our first year in the UWL, so trying to find out some things.

1) How much paint should we expect to use? I was planning on 2-3 cases a person right now.

2) Do most teams use the rocket launchers? It seems there a definite edge to having them.

3) It's semi for everyone, 10BPS cap, and the Heavy gunner is uncapped but still semi right?

4)Do you get to walk the field before hand?

5) I seem to remember the Captain had some ability in the old rulebook, but I don't see that in the 2013 one...is that still a thing?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to find out as much as I can before we go into the event. I'm sure I'll think of some more after I post this.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM #2
Spartan 03
The Heretics

Spartan 03 is playing at Living Legends VI
Spartan 03 supports Team VICIOUS
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spartan 03 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
This is going to be our first year in the UWL, so trying to find out some things.

1) How much paint should we expect to use? I was planning on 2-3 cases a person right now.

2) Do most teams use the rocket launchers? It seems there a definite edge to having them.

3) It's semi for everyone, 10BPS cap, and the Heavy gunner is uncapped but still semi right?

5) I seem to remember the Captain had some ability in the old rulebook, but I don't see that in the 2013 one...is that still a thing?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to find out as much as I can before we go into the event. I'm sure I'll think of some more after I post this.
1) Thats a pretty good estimate.
2) Most? Better than half do, few than half use them well.
3) Correct, except I believe Heavy can still use any mode they want to. At least, it use to be that way, though the 2013 rules don't mention one way or the other. It doesn't say semi-only, but doesn't say modes either, just unlimited ROF.
4) Yes.
5)Captain used to be able to call in reinserts if their team had them, but now its always first body back gets reinserted. It was abused by a couple of teams. I think the captain calls the toss before the game and hands the hooch to refs (who probably don't know or care if its the captain or not) and thats about it. I am not even sure why its a position anymore.
If I make you cheat, I win.
WORKS Autococker
Spartan 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 PM #3
fullofpaint

Thanks! Can't wait to play our first event.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM #4
Whiskeyfoy
Underground

Annual Supporting Member
Whiskeyfoy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Whiskeyfoy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

1.) As mentioned in an earlier post that is probably a good starting point. From experience though, have your guys bring enough money to buy one more case as a saftey net. Some events you will have a crap ton of paint left others not so much. Would rather have a ton left over than worrying if we have enough to make it through finals.

2.) They are pretty nice and dangerous especially in the right hands. Very good to clear someone from a key bunker to allow people to move.

3.) Heavy can still use whichever firing mode they choose.

4.) Yes and its probably the largest aspect of if you succeed in the tournament or not. Unlike speedball not all areas are created equal and you def. want to know where the key spots are.

5.) If I am not mistaken the Captain now is just a figure head more or less. They call the flip and choose the side or the 1 free body (The free body has to be used on the first eliminated player if I am not mistaken, cant pick and choose who comes in anymore)... They also meet with the ref's if there are any discrepancies during the game.

You learn new things each tournament you go to and you will have a blast. It is by far the best time I have ever had playing paintball. Looking forward to seeing you guys out on the field.

Woodsball Tournament they way it should be played! Ultimate Woodsball League
"So if you are a team of *****ing ,cheating and disrespectful players I suggest you find a different venue for your antics! The UWL is not for you.
Tom Cole"
Whiskeyfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:05 AM #5
fullofpaint

It's still BYOP right? We were planning on just getting paint from our field and bringing it with us.

Is there any launcher worth looking at besides the Havoc? The only other one I really know of is the JCS one.

One last question I swear haha. It's a half hour game with with ten minute periods. So do you play ten minutes then at the end just reset? Or is it a continuous 30 minute game and the ten minutes just mark the respawns.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 AM #6
Whiskeyfoy
Underground

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
It's still BYOP right? We were planning on just getting paint from our field and bringing it with us.

Is there any launcher worth looking at besides the Havoc? The only other one I really know of is the JCS one.

One last question I swear haha. It's a half hour game with with ten minute periods. So do you play ten minutes then at the end just reset? Or is it a continuous 30 minute game and the ten minutes just mark the respawns.
Yep its BYOP, my team still typically brings enough cash just in case we need to buy a few more cases at the field (say you make finals and need a bit extra). A lot of times the 2-3 case per player is more than plenty but it really depends on the field (lots o brush or not so much).

I know the Havoc is the most popular by far but there are a few JCS's still floating around..

And its a constant 30 min game with reinserts at the 10 and 20.. So if you get shot out there will be a whistle blown to allow eliminated players back in the game at those points... So basically if you stay alive you could be out there for 30 min straight.

"So if you are a team of *****ing ,cheating and disrespectful players I suggest you find a different venue for your antics! The UWL is not for you.
Tom Cole"
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM #7
Spartan 03
The Heretics

We have a JCS, but we'd like to get into a Havok.
WORKS Autococker
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM #8
lxmott

lxmott owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
lxmott supports Team VICIOUS
Is the uwl worth it? I don't like speedball tourneys anymore and can't decide if its for me
lxmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM #9
Spartan 03
The Heretics

I'm not sure how to answer that question. What makes something "worth it"? If you like the competitiveness of tourney without the attitude of tourney players, then yes, its worth it.
WORKS Autococker
Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM #10
lxmott

Ya that's why I stopped tournaments because everyone is "the best in the world" and alot are jerks.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM #11
Sleazzzy_E
DIRTBAGS

Sleazzzy_E plays in the PSP
Sleazzzy_E is an NCPA player
Sleazzzy_E is attending Decay of Nations VI
UWL is really one of the funnest tournament series I have ever played. It really brings you back to why most of us started playing in the first place, for the love of the game. Everyone I met is super chill and laid back. If you haven't played a UWL event yet, you're missing out.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM #12
Danger Dan
www.TeamDesertEdge.com

Danger Dan owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Danger Dan plays in the APPA beginner division
Im not going to tell you that there are not any cocky attitudes or that there is no cheating in the UWL because there is.

The reason it is so fun is because that there are MORE that DON'T than DO.

And by fare the majority of the teams and players are awesome and straight up and make it fun enough to travel to and to play in the UWL and make friends that you will keep for a life time.

The format is fun and the structure is good and the reffing is better than normal and the cost is reasonable.

All anyone can say is come try it and you will probably see what we all see and you will be telling all your friends how awesome it is.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND WIN FREE SWAG!!
Danger Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM #13
lxmott

I actually am going to talk to the field owner were I play and see if he wants to try and get a team together here in mochigan to try for the Illinois or Tennessee event. Hopefully!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM #14
Spartan 03
The Heretics

Talk to Dooku here on teh nation, he played SPPL back in the day and has been trying to get a michigan team together to play UWL. As I recall, he's in western michigan.
WORKS Autococker
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM #15
lxmott

Really alright thanks ill try and find him I know people always talk about it but I wanna get some local support to make it more affordable. Anybody have any tips for picking guys/skill sets?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM #16
Whiskeyfoy
Underground

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmott View Post
Really alright thanks ill try and find him I know people always talk about it but I wanna get some local support to make it more affordable. Anybody have any tips for picking guys/skill sets?
Honestly you just need to find people you gel with and not really worry about skill sets right off the bat.. From my experience its all about who you can trust that is doing what they are suppose to because the fields are so large you cant really see what is going on 100% of the time. If there is one spot to recruit I would say find a fast guy with decent gun skills to play your scout. A quick guy that can get to key field position and stay alive is worth their weight in gold.

The others you just need to see who is willing to travel and fork the money over and play come time to pay up. The hardest thing about this league is you have to find 10+ guys to travel rather than just a handful.

Spartan, is the team you are thinking of The great lakes rangers (or something like that) right?

I do recall a few of them floating around here stating they are trying to make it to the 5 man in Chicago. And they are a really solid team out of Hells Survivors so give them a shout.

Tom Cole"
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM #17
lxmott

Hell survivors is actually my home field I think I'm there every weekend and wanna test myself I sent dooku a message like spartan said. So hopefully we could get something going. I appreciate everything. Which event would you guys recommend between Chicago and Tennessee?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM #18
Spartan 03
The Heretics

We've never been to Tennessee yet, so...Chicago. Whiskey, I think that is correct. I know he played with the GL Rangers, but I recall he had an affiliation with another team, as well.
WORKS Autococker
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM #19
lxmott

If anyone needs a guy let me know! I did pm him so hopefully we can get something going. It just looks like to much fun
Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM #20
splat shack

As already been mentioned the Great Lakes Rangers are very stand up players. If you need more people to field a team, you might check with some of the guys from Delta Ops as well. I think they play out of Hell Survivors as well and used to play SPPL back in the day. Some of their members might be willing to travel and play the UWL. Back in the SPPL days some of us from FTF had an opportunity to ref at Bear Claw in TN and they had a great set up and the field staff were awesome.
splat shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM #21
lxmott

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice and help. It's weird from tournament people that you all are nice!