Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 AM #1
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Woops.

Quote:
Using taxpayer dollars to finance family-planning services has become politically thorny in Texas, largely because of Republican lawmakers’ assertions that the women’s health clinics providing that care are affiliated with abortion providers. In the fiscal crunch of 2011, the Legislature cut the state’s family-planning budget by two-thirds, with some lawmakers claiming that they were defunding the “abortion industry.” Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin, found that more than 50 family-planning clinics had closed statewide as a result.

Now, amid estimates that the cuts could lead to 24,000 additional 2014-15 births at a cost to taxpayers of $273 million, lawmakers are seeking a way to restore financing without ruffling feathers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/us...uts.html?_r=2&

This is what happens when politics are driven by moronic talking points instead of what makes for sensible policy.

I wonder how much the sequester will end up costing.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM #2
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
What the hell does the sequester have to do with the Texas budget?

Talking points indeed.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM #3
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/us...uts.html?_r=2&

This is what happens when politics are driven by moronic talking points instead of what makes for sensible policy.

Lack of foresight in politics, shocking.

Sequester is going to hit Florida hard.

Quote:
About 980 Florida National Guard employees could face furloughs for 20 percent of the remaining fiscal year and more than 40,000 defense workers could lose jobs, reducing spending by roughly $1 billion, the governor said.

About 31,000 civilian Department of Defense employees in Florida would be forced to furlough one day each week beginning in April. This would reduce pay by around $183.2 million, according to the White House.

n Jacksonville specifically, $135 million in Navy funding for aircraft depot maintenance could be cancelled at the Fleet Readiness Center Southeast at Jacksonville Naval Station, the White House said.

School districts across the state could lose approximately $85 million in federal funding, according to the White House.

With sequestration, the state will lose about $31 million in federal funds for education for children with disabilities.
Thanks Obama. Should have been passing legislation instead of waiting for Congress.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 PM #4
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post

Talking points indeed.
Do you intentionally try to be difficult?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM #5
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
No.

The states having issues with their budget because the general government is forced to cut less than 3% of the federal budget is a symptom of other issues.

The sequestration is not causing the state's woes.

Last edited by barrel roll : 03-03-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:36 PM #6
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:

Talking points indeed.
Do you really need your hand held?

Texas cuts budget, ends up costing more money than the cut.

Sequester is a massive budget cut to a system that's clearly not prepared for it... how many unforeseen costs are there?

Example:
Quote:
On the flipside, cutting every budget function indiscriminately and across the board, as in the sequester due to start on Friday, will not target the real inefficiencies. "There is a huge amount of overhead fat in the defense budget," Lehman said, "but I don't see sequester providing the flexibility to remove and cut that overhead."
http://defense.aol.com/2013/02/26/jo...save-the-navy/

Quote:
As for the $628 million appropriated to buy 78 of the Army’s Patriot missiles, it might be simple arithmetic to cut that by $56 million. (Buy seven fewer missiles?) But what about the $179 million allotted for modifications to the AH-64 Apache helicopter? How do the Army’s managers parse that? And how does anyone, whether in Congress or the Pentagon’s comptroller office, perform oversight of that feat, this year and in the near future? Not only is the exercise disruptive and in some cases absurd, it also creates excuses for contractors to bilk the Pentagon after the budget crisis is over, claiming that they suffered cost overruns as a result of inefficiencies brought on by sequestration. Who could dispute that?
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._military.html

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 03-03-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM #7
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

The point is that Texas' state fiscal cuts will in fact cost the state more money and lead to economic strain not relief. Umami is abstracting this to the federal level to "wonder how much the <federal> sequester will end up costing".

Quote:
No one said the federal sequestration is the cause of the state's woes...
Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 PM #8
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Thanks Obama. Should have been passing legislation instead of waiting for Congress.
lol
Quote:
No ****, Sherlock. It didn't cause them, but it sure as hell isn't going to help.

SOG
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM #9
F1VENOM

Quote:
lol

No ****, Sherlock. It didn't cause them, but it sure as hell isn't going to help.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Barrel's just being cheeky. He's hoping he's not one of those tens of thousands cut due to reduced defense spending in Florida alone.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM #10
Umami
"That guy"

This would be funny if it didn't affect so many people.

Quote:
My column this weekend is about the almost comically poor lines of communication between the White House and the Hill. The opening anecdote was drawn from a background briefing I attended with a respected Republican legislator who thought it would be a gamechanger for President Obama to say he’d be open to chained CPI — a policy that cuts Social Security benefits — as part of a budget deal.

The only problem? Obama has said he’s open to chained CPI as part of a budget deal. And this isn’t one of those times where the admission was in private, and we’re going off of news reports. It’s right there on his Web site. It’s literally in bold type. But key GOP legislators have no idea Obama’s made that concession.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...moaY-w4.reddit

The GOP doesn't even want to try, they're ****ing up everyone's lives so they can play politics.

SOG
Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM #11
F1VENOM

It's still Obama's fault.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM #12
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM #13
F1VENOM

Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM #14
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Barrel's just being cheeky. He's hoping he's not one of those tens of thousands cut due to reduced defense spending in Florida alone.
I have heard from quite a few places that the sequestration is effecting state budgets. Last person I heard say something to that effect was the president.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 PM #15
F1VENOM

Quote:
I have heard from quite a few places that the sequestration is effecting state budgets. Last person I heard say something to that effect was the president.
Affecting and what's your point?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM #16
Blake360

Quote:
We're going to lose 170 million jobs according to maxine waters.

Even though that's more jobs than the total amount of jobs in the country.

Last edited by Blake360 : 03-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM #17
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Idc as long as i can keep ma guns.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 PM #18
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
We're going to lose 170 million jobs according to maxine waters.

Even though that's more jobs than the total amount of jobs in the country.
Can't point out her being an idiot, that's called trolling.

Course, Venon and TSR are contributing nothing but quality information and meaningful images to this thread.

Right Steve? Right?

I mean - there is a distinct difference in what Blake is doing in comparison to those two. Right?

Your pal Brett - his face says it all. You get it, I'm sure.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM #19
Swerve22

Wow you stepped in it with this thread, Umami. There's a reason why childbearing is incentivised by societies.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 AM #20
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
Language is important. Affecting (it will affect states' budgets and employment) is different than caused (it didn't). I'm pretty sure you realized this. Also, even though it's not the cause of states' budget crises, what are we going to accomplish by kicking them while they're already hurting?

I was just drawing a parallel, and I still think the argument can be made that the cuts are going to do more damage than they're worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
Can't point out her being an idiot, that's called trolling.

Course, Venon and TSR are contributing nothing but quality information and meaningful images to this thread.

Right Steve? Right?

I mean - there is a distinct difference in what Blake is doing in comparison to those two. Right?
I don't follow. Yeah, her numbers are ridiculously exaggerated, I suppose that makes her an idiot. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Wow you stepped in it with this thread, Umami. There's a reason why childbearing is incentivised by societies.
There are also reasons industrialized nations see prudence in access to birth control. MOAR KIDS, ALWAYS is an idiotic position.

SOG

Last edited by Umami : 03-04-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM #21
rT159
BlackOps

woops

rT159 is offline   Reply With Quote