Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM #1
Idk2083

Gear Questions

Hi, im just getting into paintball and am looking to get some gear so I can stop renting every time I go. I've been looking at some of the cheaper gear options and was just wondering what people thought of them. If anyone has different gear suggestions that would also be appreciated

Mask: I have been looking at either the Empire/Invert Felix or JT Proflex. These both seem to be some of the cheaper masks that come with thermal lenses on the market.

HPA tank: I'm really not sure what to get. Everyone seems to say that I should just invest in a 45/4500 or 68/4500 carbon fiber tank.

Hopper: The hoppers I have been looking at are Invert Too or Halo B V35. I haven't looked extensively into hoppers at all, I am very open to suggestions

Guns: I would prefer to spend under 200, however 300 is the most I am able to spend on the gun. I'm wondering what are the options for me in this range and what do people think of buying new vs used.

Thanks!
Idk2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 PM #2
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Welcome!

Mask: Can't go wrong with a Proflex. I like the Profiler as well.

Tank: If you can afford a carbon tank, do it. A 68/4500 is a great start. Ninja is my first, second and third choice in tanks.

Hopper: The Invert Too is a great inexpensive hopper.

Guns: I always suggest new (from a local shop) to first time buyers. If you ever need help you have a personal relationship close by. That being said, in your price range, there are a few options I like. Check out the Valken Proton, Empire Mini, DP G4 and G5 and any of GOG's markers. You have way more options if you buy used.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM #3
Kbug
O.M.G.

Kbug owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Kbug supports Team VICIOUS
Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Empire
Mask: I'd definitely go with the Proflex. They are very comfortable, breathable, and customizable.

Tank: a 68/4500 would be the best size. Ninjas are great, but expensive. I have a Crossfire 68/4500 and it's very nice, and was cheaper than a Ninja.

Hopper: a Halo would work just fine, and they aren't too expensive.

Marker: There are lots of good entry level markers in your price range. To name a few, you could get a G4, Mini, eNVy, eXTCy, Rail, or a Proton.

My advice would be to try to look on the B/S/T and get some used gear and save some money. When buying a used tank, always remember to check the hydro date. Also, don't forget to get a pod pack

Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 PM #4
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would highly suggest some knee pads as well. Planet Eclipse makes a great pair for the price.
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 PM #5
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
Masks: Between those two options, Proflex all day.

Tank: A Ninja 45/4500, or 68/4500 is the way to go!

Hopper: The Halo or Invert Too would do you just fine as a beginner, but if you want to, the best high-end hopper that you can pick up cheap would be a dye rotor.

Gun: In $200-$300 price range, you can pick up an ego 07, maybe an ego 08, old bob long timmies, maybe an axe for $300, mini, gog extcy, vibe, envy, rail, etc.

Your best option to save money is to buy used on the B/S/T forum here on PbNation!
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:14 AM #6
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Mask: Proflex out of those two but if you have a local proshop I would highly, highly HIGHLY recommend going there and trying on a few options. Your mask is extremely important and you shouldn't base which one you get solely on price. That being said it's hard to go wrong with a Proflex.

Tank: Ninja is the only brand you should consider. Maybe Crossfire if you find a deal. Avoid Guerrilla Air. 45/45 or 68/45 depends on personal preference. I have really long arms so I can't use anything shorter than a 68/45 without getting carpal tunnel syndrome (at least with 45 stubbies. I think Ninja's 45 is actually the same length as their 68 just narrower around). Again I would recommend hitting up your local shop if you have one to compare the sizes. Tanks are a good thing to buy used because unlike guns there isn't a whole lot of ways to screw up a tank that won't be readily apparent.

Hopper: Invert Too is a good choice. If you buy used you can get a Prophecy or Rotor for about the price of a new Too which would probably be worth doing. I don't like Rotors because I have yet to see one go without jamming in a day of play (there's always someone frantically ripping his Rotor in half in the middle of a gun fight) but they are highly recommended for a reason so if you get a good deal on one go for it.

Gun: Under $200 limits your options a lot to basically a used Mini, a beat up older timmy, or a bunch of really low end **** (DP, Ions, etc). Going up to $300 would be in your best interest. 2005 Intimidators can be had all day in the $250ish range, I don't know what Ego 7s go for but probably around that mark also. Maybe a DM6 or Shocker if you want a spool valve. Or a Marq.

I second getting kneepads but I wouldn't get paintball pads as they tend to be very expensive and not very durable (at least in my experience). I've worn Asics volleyball kneepads for years now and they work great. $20 and super comfy vs. $60 for paintball specific ones.

Last edited by SKI008 : 03-02-2013 at 12:16 AM.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 AM #7
Idk2083

Thanks for all of the suggestions, going to take everything into consideration. Also as for guns I see a few suggestions of ego7 for under 300, ill look into that for sure, but was also wondering what people think of the mini, rail, and ep1. I saw a few also suggest mini and rail and was just wondering how they would compare to something like an ego 7 or axe?
Idk2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM #8
new ion?
Uni Sucks....

As the Ego is a high end of 'Yesterday" - it'd probably be everyone here's choice. and there's something about a 7 that everyone loves over all the other years.

That being said... I LOVE my Mini. The Axe is a redesign of the Mini with some newer tech, however it still uses the same bolt (and I believe poppet). What the Axe has, is a slightly longer platform and easier drive train maintenance.

WTB cocker pneus, slider & Karni FB

Jack Wood:
And I think that if you think something is bull****, you have every right to say you think it is. Just because bull**** is the norm doesn't mean it stinks any less.
new ion? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 PM #9
TS4life

Hi!

Mask: What everyone else said.

Tank: 45/4500 if you want a smaller profile or if you are a smaller person it might be more comfortable. 68/4500 for grown person that's how I'd pick unless you care a lot about efficiency.

Hopper: What everyone else said.

Gun: If you want a popular brand go with everyone else's pick but I'd take an old ICD promaster for $100
TS4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM #10
cocojeb69

i got an envy for sale with techt bolt
cocojeb69 is offline   Reply With Quote