Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM #1
Wheeldogg
Sam

Wheeldogg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wheeldogg has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wheeldogg has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wheeldogg has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Walking tank

I want to build a low budget walking tank with an inverted T design. Has anyone done this or have pictures of one?

looks like this
(ish) disregard the periods

.......xxxxxxxx
....--xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
........l.......l

Recball Videos (add yours today!)
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3927913

Last edited by Wheeldogg : 02-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Wheeldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Like this?

Might want to do a search for "Gryphon" They sold designs and kits.

This is what I run in. A Star Wars ATST aka the LTTC "Little Tank That Can"

The first picture is more what you are looking for. It is a VERY Flawed Design. Never built it. If you blow up the yellow box you might be able to see the weight calculations. It came too heavy for me to want to play in it.

It was designed as a two man but would carry 4 so they could be inserted deep in enemy territory, retrieve a prop, raise a flag, etc.

PVC is heavy. I calculated 2" 3" 4" pvc for the framing. It just didn't work Every PVC tank I have seen BROKE early in the game. So This is a relativly beefy design. The failures were the where the wheels mounted in the PVC. So you can see the Plywood mount for the axles in the rear. Wood frame for the casters in the front.

Look again and it is like a grocery cart. small casters in the front. Picture a gravel parking lot and trying to drive a grocey cart full of groceries across it. It won't happen. I was LUCKY enough to post this and a guy PM me and told me that he tried that and it won't work. The only way they could play in it was going backwards. His final words " There is a reason the Romans put the horses in front of the chariots."

So picture that design without the front caster wheels. Without any wheels in the front. Just sit it on the ground when you need both hands. You are the OX and you are dragging around a fancy enclosed ox cart. you have a harness around your hips to pull it and use your hand / hands to lift it up over rocks, logs, dirt birms etc. That was the leading design for a WHILE.

I wound up building the backpack mounted ATST design. The first was a frame with the "armor plate" mounted to it. The armor was polycarbonate twin wall. Cardboard made out of the stuff they make safety glasses out of. Very tough, very light. 7 pounds for a 4x8 sheet. The use it for skylights, pool enclosures, green house roofs. It takes hail and paintballs in stride.

I kept bending and breaking the frame. The armor held up. It occured to me to skip the frame. Used the polycarbonate as the structural material for the body. It worked exceedingly well. The empty shell was 15 pounds. Then added 50 pounds of paintball gear and fire power. Plays at 65 pounds.

With the success of the polycarbonate body, my thoughts turned back to this design. WHAT IF I used polycarbonate for the FRAME on this design and skipped that PVC framing all together? Would it be light enough to just plain DRAG around the field. No Wheels, No wood framing to hold the wheels. Just DRAG in around like a sled on those tank tracks.

The answer was very pleasing weight wise and the answer was YES, sort of.

As the mental designing progressed, I figured the sled tracks would take a beating. Would have to built to take a lot of lateral stress while turning. Kevlar cloth epoxied on the bottom of the tracks to grind off and replace. Figuring I would most like break the tracks, I want them detachable and replaceable. It would also make it a lot easier to transport and avoid buying a trailer. The detachable tracks involved plywood or aluminum mounting plates on the body and tracks. It would fit in the mini van or truck bed. And of course, I wanted a 360 degree rotating turret. Thats a lot of hard ware to haul around and decided against going their. It would have gun ports 360 degrees and a front mounted autoloading cannon with a 45 degree cone of fire. So a box on runners made out of polycarbonate. Still never built it. Having too much fun in the ATST walker.

But Now I coming up on 64 years old and there are certain realities of dragging a 65 pound backpack around a paintball field for 2 days. Time for me to think of my motoized tank. Well, I have a convenient design for a body right here. Hmmm. Make it all out of polycarbonate twin wall again. You know if the thing broke down mechanically, could I just rip the body off and make it into a walking tank? Why not? If it is too heavy, so what? Just another idea of mine that didn't work out.

Weight is WHY there are so few walking tanks out there. They show up, play a while and don't come back. Too heavy or they break them.

That polycarbonate twin wall solved the weight problem.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 PM #3
Wheeldogg
Sam

So where could I get the twin wall polycarbonate and how much does it cost?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM #4
Wheeldogg
Sam

i was thinking something really simple like this. (it is for a local big game. Im looking to add a little more depth and interest to the game. Will probably end up fighting for both teams) Saying this it does not need to be fancy just easy to use and build.
Obviously not painted like this

Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 AM #5
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Search "polycarbonate twin wall sheets"

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ta...w=1149&bih=783

You get LOTS of vendors:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/...ETWINWALLSHEET

For the corner fasterners,

http://www.tpextrusions.com/plastic-...l-corners.html

The trick is to find a supplier that carries it in stock or will order it without costing you a arm and a leg. I use my local green house supplier BUT they carry only the 8mm - 5/16" and I want the 6mm - 1/4" sheet. So I have to catch them here in the winter time before they order their stock for the spring and persuade them by pre paying to include my order with theirs.

Otherwise, it is called Fed Ex which has the largest max allowable shipping size. They will accept boxes 5 foot long and 4 foot tall and 5-6" thick. The weight limit is not a factor but you will be paying for an over sized package.

Let me know if you go there. The handling and fabrication. Cutting it. Glueing it. You can avoid the mistakes I made by just e mailing me again.

ddupont@charter.net

The design pic. No scale but I assume players will be standing up inside the turret shooting out the gun ports in the turret. The lower ones illustrated are too low if that assumption is correct. You could make it so players crouch down to shoot out the gun ports and stand up to shoot out the top of the turret. That would be useful if you had a hand held RPG to blow up bunkers and such. A lot easier to build that way rather than installing a cannon in a fixed or rotating turret. Thought about how you will move it? Barn door handles conveniently attached to the inside walls? A bannister rail along each side and front and or back? A harness of some sort. Think ALICE backpack frame.

http://www.wholesalearmysurplus.com/.../Backpacks-c2/

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-02-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM #6
ShepsTank

ShepsTank has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ShepsTank has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ShepsTank has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Looks like you want to do something similar to mine (see Facebook link below). What dimensions are you going for? Is this for 1 person or multiple inside? What is your budget for just the tank (100,250,500,1000)? This will determine what you can do and where to start. Also do you have access to a fair set of tools, a dedicated work area, and a way to transport the tank?

For my latest walking tank build I used 1/16" solid polycarbonate sheets over an aluminum frame. For previous builds I used 4mm twin wall polycarbonate sheets over a pvc frame but from the sheer volume of paint I am hit with the twin wall sheets began to break.
ShepsTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:16 PM #7
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I built TWO shells for this field for a scenario game in Hawaii. The islands first paintball tanks. My budget was $500 or $250 each.That included most of the home depot components for the cannons excluding the air supply, paintball air regs, and remote hoses. They also supplied the markers. They did not want the chicken legs.

And he is so glad he took our advise that he needed a little protection with that cardboard stuffed into his sweatpants.

After some playing time we discovered the back was not rigid enough and flexed too much. Had to modify by adding a stiffener on the back 1x3 board.

I am 90% finnished with blue prints for the new and improved version of this walking tank with a reinforced back.
Lete me know of any interest.

You don't have to......