Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM #1
DFW Rusty
pray N spray
 
DFW Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bad low pressure chamber?

The lpc (low pressure chamber) on my 2003 imagine is leaking. I replaced seals all throughout the gun and oiled everything good. Then on Saturday, I hooked a bottle to it and noticed a hissing coming out around the edges of my lpc. Luckily I have another gun that has an lpc with spyder threads, and I robbed that one to use. I screwed it in, and no leak ever since. I dont really see how a lpc goes bad, but maybe they do. I'd rather not leave that lpc on my spyder cuz the gun I robbed it off of is a good gun.


I've had this gun for 10 years, and it's been in closets for about 8 years, and I just started playing paintball again, so I am working through all of the problems of a gun that has sat for 8 years.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM #2
theblindchicken
49'er
 
theblindchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
The lpc (low pressure chamber) on my 2003 imagine is leaking. I replaced seals all throughout the gun and oiled everything good. Then on Saturday, I hooked a bottle to it and noticed a hissing coming out around the edges of my lpc. Luckily I have another gun that has an lpc with spyder threads, and I robbed that one to use. I screwed it in, and no leak ever since. I dont really see how a lpc goes bad, but maybe they do. I'd rather not leave that lpc on my spyder cuz the gun I robbed it off of is a good gun.


I've had this gun for 10 years, and it's been in closets for about 8 years, and I just started playing paintball again, so I am working through all of the problems of a gun that has sat for 8 years.

I understand that you state that you have replaced the orings in your spyder, but have you replaced the LPC oring with a tank oring? Almost every oring in a spyder is the same size.

If you just replaced it, it is possible that it was a bad oring that you've put on it. Try replacing it again as well as putting a drop of oil on the oring to help it seal better.

If that doesn't work, there's always teflon tape (plumber's tape).
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM #3
C8H10N4O2
 
 
C8H10N4O2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 570-PA
C8H10N4O2 supports Team VICIOUS
C8H10N4O2 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
C8H10N4O2 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
C8H10N4O2 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yup, teflon tape is magical stuff. And it's like 2 bucks.

And you're in almost exactly the same situation I'm in. I haven't played in about 10 years and am building up a more modern setup. I had an e99 that sat for 10 years too. Amazingly, everything still works properly (after a bit of cleaning and oiling). I didn't even need to replace any o-rings. Then I remembered how slow it was with that 13bps cap and no ramping. So I bought an RS and a tadao board w/M7 chip. Now I can waste money even faster!
__________________
Waiting for warmer temperatures...

Last edited by C8H10N4O2 : 02-27-2013 at 01:17 PM.
C8H10N4O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur
 
ferret15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RFD
Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
DON'T oil the LPC o-ring. go grab a new tank o-ring and stick it on stick it on. I've never had anything but leaks if the LPC or valve o-ring got oil on it.
__________________
something something something

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM #5
DFW Rusty
pray N spray
 
DFW Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thanks for the help. I'll try a tank seal, and see what that does. I was thinking about using teflon, but I'll try a tank seal first. I didn't know about oil helping, but a buddy told me to try white lithium grease on it, I haven't yet but I was thinking about getting some from work and see if that works (I'll try that if nothing else works).
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM #6
ferret15
STTB connoisseur
 
ferret15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RFD
Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
please don't use white lithium grease these are air guns not car brakes, and it WILL eat your o-rings. If you want to use grease best stuff for pretty any marker would be lurker lube otherwise find your self a container of "DOW CORING 55". On spyder pretty much everything but the bolt works fine, some of us grease up the striker to help with Low Pressure applications.

The reason you use Dow55 is because it cause the o-rings to swell a bit and keeps things sealed and lubricated.
__________________
something something something

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.

Last edited by ferret15 : 02-27-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: http://www.cibsupply.com/pdf/dc55.pdf
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 PM #7
theblindchicken
49'er
 
theblindchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
DON'T oil the LPC o-ring. go grab a new tank o-ring and stick it on stick it on. I've never had anything but leaks if the LPC or valve o-ring got oil on it.
I haven't had an issue with the oil causing it to leak, but it's probably just my individual case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
please don't use white lithium grease these are air guns not car brakes, and it WILL eat your o-rings. If you want to use grease best stuff for pretty any marker would be lurker lube otherwise find your self a container of "DOW CORING 55". On spyder pretty much everything but the bolt works fine, some of us grease up the striker to help with Low Pressure applications.

The reason you use Dow55 is because it cause the o-rings to swell a bit and keeps things sealed and lubricated.
Would greasing up the striker lower the friction more so than oil?
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 PM #8
ferret15
STTB connoisseur
 
ferret15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RFD
Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindchicken View Post
I haven't had an issue with the oil causing it to leak, but it's probably just my individual case.



Would greasing up the striker lower the friction more so than oil?
It seemed like every time I had an issue with the LPC or valve body oring when i oiled it, immediate fail or within the first few shots and CO2 seemed to fail extra fast. I just started putting on them on dry or wiping them clean and never had a problem. Teflon gets annoying when you break it down often.

The Dow55 is what a few of us found to help. I think sparky told me about a while ago. It really only mattered when your running really low pressures though. VS2 and RSX have the balvance valve and with some spring swaps and some grease you could get them hovering 200psi just fine. Then like clockwork when the grease wore off (probably blown off) you needed a little more pressure. I never found any significant performance to note from your standard LP setup nor the electra/pilot. It seemed to be a quirk of the balance valve. Thats not to say it wouldn't be beneficial in some other way.
__________________
something something something

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 PM #9
nenkitsune
 
 
nenkitsune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Ferret, I've always used Dow33 (non swelling) for my guns in the past for the simple reason that they don't cause swelling. Though I only used them on bolt orings and hammer orings.
__________________
"Originally posted by texastornado: ...i was playin with my buddy once and he told me he couldn't cock his acs which had come uncocked. It turns out his arm had fallen off..."

Spyder E-99 Avant (out of commission/spimmifying)
Kingman EM-1: Kapp Bushmaster V/A, Bumper mod, Modded stock bolt, Tboarded (ver a), WGP Ergo reg

My Feedback
nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM #10
ferret15
STTB connoisseur
 
ferret15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RFD
Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
I'm not gunna lie grease will get the job done, you want to be carefull with delrin bolts. Not as big of a problem today but the old ones swelled from oils iirc.

I personally use lurker lube, its better than 33 or 55 in both applications just like the other greases out their.
__________________
something something something

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump