Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM #1
msteve22

msteve22 is an NCPA player
msteve22 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
msteve22 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DM and Ego

I am looking into getting either a DM or an Ego. I won't be buying a DM13 as they are too expensive. But I have seen alot of DM 9-12's reasonably priced. What are the main changes in the DM's? I know the 12 and 13 are essentially the same minus milling. But what about between the 9-11? And what are good deals for them? I have also looked into getting an Ego sch as the SL74 and SL8R. I have alot of the same questions for the Ego's as I do the DM's. I know egos are poppets and Dms are spools, are there otehr difference and which are better or more preferred?
msteve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM #2
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA D5 division
For a new player, Planet Eclipse is the way to go. Their guns are simpler, easier to work on, and are more reliable.

DM's are a little harder to work with and can have issues if you don't know what you're doing.

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM #3
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by msteve22 View Post
I am looking into getting either a DM or an Ego. I won't be buying a DM13 as they are too expensive. But I have seen alot of DM 9-12's reasonably priced. What are the main changes in the DM's? I know the 12 and 13 are essentially the same minus milling. But what about between the 9-11? And what are good deals for them? I have also looked into getting an Ego sch as the SL74 and SL8R. I have alot of the same questions for the Ego's as I do the DM's. I know egos are poppets and Dms are spools, are there otehr difference and which are better or more preferred?
Egos: more efficient, less maintenance needed, better board and trigger, lighter weight

DMs: Smoother shot, quieter, ergonomics are personal preference but lots of people love the DMs for that

If you don't know a lot about paintball guns I would suggest an Ego/SL.
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM #4
msteve22

msteve22 is an NCPA player
msteve22 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
msteve22 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a Proto Rail currently I just want something better. What big changes were made between the DM 9, 10,11, and 12. As well as between say the SL74 vs the SL8R
msteve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM #5
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I have a Proto Rail currently I just want something better. What big changes were made between the DM 9, 10,11, and 12. As well as between say the SL74 vs the SL8R
Not many worth mentioning on the DMs except the DM11+ uses the NT grips which are very comfortable.
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM #6
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningPlaydoh View Post
Egos: more efficient, less maintenance needed, better board and trigger, lighter weight

DMs: Smoother shot, quieter, ergonomics are personal preference but lots of people love the DMs for that

If you don't know a lot about paintball guns I would suggest an Ego/SL.
Pretty much all you need to know right here.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 AM #7
RedLava

Quote:
As others have said there's very little design difference between the years of DM's that you mentioned other than external cosmetic changes. But one thing not mentioned is the price People are generally paying more for used DM12's than DM9's even if their overall condition is roughly the same. If you're looking between those years I'd recommend just pick a body style/color you like and then try to find a great condition used marker from a reputable seller that you don't pay a fortune for. I just bought a used DM9 that only needed new grips & a regulator cover to look practically new and I'm happier with it right now than the brand new Dye NT I bought for twice that price a couple years ago (that had a regulator leak out of the box I kid you not). Just try and get good value for your money and don't forget to add a little price for replacement parts or o-ring kits if buying a used marker. As far as the title of thise thread "DM vs Ego", I don't know much about Ego's but if it's a poppet I just don't see it shooting as smooth as a spool valve even if it's a tad more reliable. Ego's seem to be great guns but when it comes to high-end markers I'm paying for smooth. I have plenty of back-up guns if it goes down.
RedLava is offline   Reply With Quote