Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM #1
novedo

A Proposal: Could we have just ONE "Canadian BST" SubForum?

I think it would really help everyone out to have even a single, consolidated BST SubForum within BST for Canadian sellers. This will benefit not only Canadian sellers and buyers, but also everyone selling equipment in the BST section.

Obviously, Canadian sellers already have a hard time selling in the established subs. Shipping and cross border fees, as well as dealing with customs, turn off a lot of American buyers from Canadian sellers immediately. Often, a deal comes to finalizing and shipping is brought up, and the buyer bails when they find out its a Canadian seller. Furthermore, if sellers want to ensure a sale, they have to cover some shipping costs, meaning they do not always gt fair value in their sale. Being able to sell in a Canadian buyer only environment (of course they can and likely would still post in the old BST) would definitely benefit Sellers.

Canadian Buyers are at an equal disadvantage. Shipping fees usually fall on the buyer, and these fees can make even the best deals unfeasible for someone on a budget. For many, the only option is to try and buy from a Canadian seller. Here is where the current system contributes to the problem, because sellers are reluctant to scare away buyers in their first post, so it is very difficult to find Canadian sellers. At present, it is near impossible to buy competitively in these forums, and a consolidated place for Canadian sales will help fix that.

So far, this seems intuitive. Canadians obviously benefit from having a place that saves them money, makes things more convenient, saves time and frustration. Obviously. But the Canadian user base on this site is (likely) small. Why should everyone else care?

I feel both users and site administrators benefit from PBNation being as structured and efficient as possible. BST users, clearly, often have issues dealing with Canadian buyers and sellers. Giving them an area to sell amongst themselves will not only cut down on the users that cannot afford or are otherwise unwilling to deal with Americans within the BST subs, but will also make the remaining users and posts be more forthcoming with that information. (Personally, I'd like to see a lightly enforced rule that Canadian/otherwise international users either wear flair or show location in the BST subs, but that's just my opinion). This will save wasted time and frustration many are obviously dealing with if you just look through the forums, right now on the front page I found three seperate instances of "Sorry no shipping to Canada". This isn't coming out of nowhere.

Finally, this will help the site, not only in better, more useful structure but also, in Traffic. Right now, most Canadian sales go through smaller, local forums. The one that comes to mind first is the Toronto area forum, tdotballers.com , whose BST section has over 60,000 threads and 450,000 posts from the past few years. And I emphasize, this is just from one city. Many other communities turned to Facebook based forums and local BST listing sites (kijiji.ca is the big one). No matter how you look at it, absorbing that traffic for such a minimal expenditure is a winning exercise.

Considering all this, I suggest simply adding one SubForum within BST entitled Canadian BST for all sales from sellers within Canada. Users could use the search function to pinpoint what they're looking for and sellers would be tasked with providing appropriate tags to ensure their sales. Obviously, such a system would benefit from further specialization (Namely Parts+Gear, WTB) but I figured I would propose the minimum and let you decide what's appropriate.

So, not only would such an inclusion be a great service to your Canadian users, which would also attract many, many more from the many smaller sites around the larger cities, it also benefits American users of the established BST section. It benefits the bottom line and popularity of the site. And it takes next to nothing to implement.

I thank you for reading this proposal, and hope that you will seriously consider my ideas, which I feel are grounded in solid reasoning and intentions. I hope that this may bring about such a change, for the betterment of the site and the user base. Thank you.
novedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:51 PM #2
die.another.day

Yes Yes Yes. Thank You Sir.
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM #3
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is a Moderator
CyberThug is a Supporting Member
CyberThug is a founding member
CyberThug is reppin' sidebar 4 life
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
We do have a dedicated bst thread in the Canada forum which hardly gets any use sadly.

Perhaps if that particular thread was heavily used we could convince the higher ups that a bst forum for Canada would be feasible.
CyberThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 PM #4
novedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberThug View Post
We do have a dedicated bst thread in the Canada forum which hardly gets any use sadly.

Perhaps if that particular thread was heavily used we could convince the higher ups that a bst forum for Canada would be feasible.
I hadn't known. That's a very buried forum though, and I'm sure a large portion of the user base is only here for the BST section and hasn't (and won't) looked into the niche Forums. I could be biased, or I could be an example, depending on how you see it.
novedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM #5
wafflecakee
No Dogs, No Masters

wafflecakee supports DLX Technology
It's own subforum in the BST would be so helpful. So many people don't want to deal with the border it makes it tough to buy and sell gear at all.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 PM #6
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
The thread in the Canada section just links to the BST, so it's just another annoying step, I would love for it to be streamlined so I can post in a Canada BST subsection instead.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 AM #7
bigbriff

bigbriff owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
this would be the best thing ever it is so annoying to have a deal done and not want to ship to canada this is a great idea
bigbriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 AM #8
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
I am from the US. I think this is good idea too. At least something that is visible without digging around.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM #9
Jono14
Ya hoser

Jono14 posts videos on PbNation
Jono14 supports Pev's Paintball
Jono14 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jono14 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Jono14 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
For the Canadian BST thread, it is stickied right at the top of the Canada forum:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3791568

Nova Scotia Paintball: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nova-S...32981206773966
Jono14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM #10
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono14 View Post
For the Canadian BST thread, it is stickied right at the top of the Canada forum:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3791568
Yup. Make that one popular and then we can talk about getting your own BST forum for sure.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM #11
Not AzaTuR
Wax On Wax Off

A Canadian B/S/T would be very unpractical. Considering Canada is basically a part of the US and that the shipping costs aren't that much more. Why not a Euro B/S/T? Asia B/S/T?

Just my two cents...

XBLAzaTuR
Not AzaTuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 AM #12
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is a Moderator
CyberThug is a Supporting Member
CyberThug is a founding member
CyberThug is reppin' sidebar 4 life
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not AzaTuR View Post
A Canadian B/S/T would be very unpractical. Considering Canada is basically a part of the US and that the shipping costs aren't that much more.

Just my two cents...

Shipping can be very expensive cross border, and then there are brokerage fees which can be extremely costly.

When I lived in Canada I would run into this all the time, shipping a marker ground could cost nearly $30.
CyberThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM #13
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not AzaTuR View Post
Considering Canada is basically a part of the US and that the shipping costs aren't that much more.
I think pretty much all canadians would say that this isnt true...
As other people have said the shipping from states to canada can be very pricey when brokerage fees and customs fees get added up.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 PM #14
Shootingropes
PewPew, Pew, 'Murica

Annual Supporting Member
Shootingropes plays in the PSP
Shootingropes is an NCPA player
Shootingropes is Boss
Sure! And an Asia BST, South America BST, Europe BST, ...

You get the point.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM #15
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootingropes View Post
Sure! And an Asia BST, South America BST, Europe BST, ...

You get the point.
I don't mind those either. Make a popular thread and then we can talk about getting your own local BST forum.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM #16
Shootingropes
PewPew, Pew, 'Murica

Annual Supporting Member
Shootingropes plays in the PSP
Shootingropes is an NCPA player
Shootingropes is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I don't mind those either. Make a popular thread and then we can talk about getting your own local BST forum.
I seemed more against the fact than I actually am. I just feel as though these new threads would not create enough traffic/use to justify being worthy of their own forum. Maybe if they get popular in the Geographic-base forum, you guys can create an International BST sub forum, with countries as the sections.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM #17
wafflecakee
No Dogs, No Masters

wafflecakee supports DLX Technology
Everytime I post something in the BST I get multiple responses saying I don't deal with Canadians. While I don't take it to heart and understand the border woes I think this Canadian BST should at least be introduced in a trial manner. See how people take to it.
wafflecakee is offline   Reply With Quote