My battery was bad so went the DIY route, sort of.
I used the info. in these posts by dr.strangelove to do it.
First, I bought a pre-made battery pack using the custom battery pack builder at http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/cus...ks.aspx?mid=20
that cost $12 (shipping was an additional $6.65). This is nice because they make the pack for you at only .75 per cell - $3 more than if you bought the batteries individually.
Choices were as follows:
Cell Count = 4
Configuration = Stick Pack
Cell = Elite 1500 2/3A (I used the wrong sized cells. Select 2/3AA cells instead. This will be like the original and fit better in the marker. However, Its also lower rated at 700mAh like the original (650mAh). The ones I selected are 1500 mAh but again a VERY tight fit)
Wire = 22AWG Wire
Connector = No Plug
It looked like this when it arrived:
Problem is this new battery pack is larger in diameter than the stock battery. Also, the wire I selected was the smallest gauge available and still wouldn't fit in the marker as is. Comparison below.
So, I removed the clear plastic wrap and de-soldered the wires that came with it. Took the wiring from the old battery and soldered onto the new one since its thinner. I used electrical tape to keep the wires from being easily pulled off the solder points. Don't go too crazy with the tape because its already a VERY snug fit. You won't need any spacers because the battery will NOT move inside the marker.
For me, this was the easiest route.