Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 PM #1
thirteen37
i.destroy

thirteen37 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
thirteen37 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Question Help taking reg off tank

Hey there, I have a Carbon Fiber tank dated 07/12, (either Crossfire or Pure Energy, can't remember the brand) 68/4500 that is at the shop to get hydrotested. My local paintball shop recommended a Fire System shop near by to test my tank, so i took it. Turns out they can't get the reg of the tank (they say due to loctite) and asked me if i want to have them force it open or have me go and try to force it open myself at their shop, but that it will probably mess up my threads. i am currently gonna buy a new tank, but i wouldn't mind having this tank tested to have it as a back up, as i bought it in 07 and only used it about 3 times, so i'm pretty sure it will pass. So any help on taking the reg out, or any info on some place that i can ship my tank out to get tested would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
thirteen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 PM #2
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen37 View Post
Hey there, I have a Carbon Fiber tank dated 07/12, (either Crossfire or Pure Energy, can't remember the brand) 68/4500 that is at the shop to get hydrotested. My local paintball shop recommended a Fire System shop near by to test my tank, so i took it. Turns out they can't get the reg of the tank (they say due to loctite) and asked me if i want to have them force it open or have me go and try to force it open myself at their shop, but that it will probably mess up my threads. i am currently gonna buy a new tank, but i wouldn't mind having this tank tested to have it as a back up, as i bought it in 07 and only used it about 3 times, so i'm pretty sure it will pass. So any help on taking the reg out, or any info on some place that i can ship my tank out to get tested would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
You can ship it to Crossfire to have it tested. I believe they have a reg removal guarantee too. Something like if they break the reg or mess up the tank threads, they'll replace it. May want to look into it to be sure though.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM #3
thirteen37
i.destroy

thanks for the info, i looked at the site and sure enough, they do hydrotesting.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM #4
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Crossfire and Ninja paintball both do hydrotesting for future reference.
As Tectonics mentioned though Crossfire does post about a guarantee if they mess up your threads. On the plus side at least the place you went to was up front with you about a potential issue. Most places just take the wrench to it anyway and don't really care if they mess up your reg or tank. In actuality most hydrotesting facilities don't have the proper tools or methods for removal when it comes to paintball regs.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM #5
thirteen37
i.destroy

yeah, glad they didn't just tear off the reg and mess up the threads! but yeah, good to know that the manufacturers do hydrotesting. thanks for the info Tabis17.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM #6
Big Daddy JMM
Never too old to play!

Big Daddy JMM has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Big Daddy JMM has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Big Daddy JMM supports Empire
Well, I just took two of my tanks for Hydro testing at a fire extinguisher place and upon removal of one of the regs, they damaged the reg and was told that they couldn't test my tank! They told me that the threads are stripped! So now I have to buy a new reg!
Big Daddy JMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM #7
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
So did they snap off the reg threads into the cylinder threads? You may be able to salvage the cylinder if you send it to a place such as Crossfire or Ninja and see if they can clean out the threading. Then they would be able to test it there for you.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 PM #8
Big Daddy JMM
Never too old to play!

No. They actually stripped the threads in the tank and the reg! They said it was due to the loctite that was on threads.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 PM #9
thirteen37
i.destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy JMM View Post
No. They actually stripped the threads in the tank and the reg! They said it was due to the loctite that was on threads.
oh man, i'm glad these guys here at the local shop asked me first. they asked me if i wanted to try to take off the reg at their garage...and me, impatient as i am, almost gave in. glad i came here and posted first or i would have torn those threads up with that loctite on there.

about your tank...not sure if you can get it fixed...but man, sounds bad, hope you can get it fixed.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM #10
Big Daddy JMM
Never too old to play!

I had to purchase a new tank and reg. Wife wasn't too happy!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM #11
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If you want the reg off just take it to a pro shop don't screw with 4500 psi per inch.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 AM #12
vector911

has been a member for 10 years
vector911 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I've had 2 of my tanks with red lock tight. The dxs factory red lock tight took a 3 foot pry bar, a rubber rim strip, and a modified 1000lb ratchet tie down to remove. The other one was put on by the previous owner (purchased used) and was normal strap wrench friendly.
The trick is to make sure they are empty then take off the gauge and fill nipples. Then secure in a solid vice with a pipe holder and leather to protect the reg. The bench vices that are all flat don't have enough contact area. Grab the tank low with a good strap wrench. I use a reinforced belted rubber one that will not stretch $15 from Lowes in the plumbing dept.
selling:
NXT/impulse/luxe threaded pipe barrel kit
vector911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 PM #13
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 is Boss
Draxxus was notorious for putting globs of loctite on their regulators. Even on the bonnets as well.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM #14
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibunkerupwnd View Post
If you want the reg off just take it to a pro shop don't screw with 4500 psi per inch.
I would hope anyone looking to take a reg off would bleed the tank first.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:57 PM #15
Big Daddy JMM
Never too old to play!

I took my tank for hydro testing to the place where I have taken my tanks for years without any problems! This place has been recomended for years here on nation.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:09 PM #16
Djzapz
Aristocratic Nonchalance

Hey, I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll give my trick first.

I just managed to unscrew my tank's regulator. I shoved the reg in a vise, slapped a latex glove onto the tank and one latex glove on each of my hands (it would have looked very weird if someone walked in). I had almost given up because it just wouldn't move but it ended up working.

However I have a little question now. Since 4500psi goes in there I want to be very careful. I'm sure the answer could help others to be safe as well. My tank is a crossfire from 2009 with one of those blue (low pressure) regulators that aren't user serviceable, pictures are at the bottom of the post. I ordered a new regulator that'll get here in a bit. I've read ninja tutorials and they really stress that you have to be very careful with your tank's threads and whatnot.

Essentially my question is, should I be worried about my threads? I'm pretty sure they're not damaged but they have white/grey residue in them, not sure what it is, maybe teflon? Also it "squeals" when I put the old reg back in. It's probably nothing and I'm probably worried for nothing but I just want to make sure . Reading Ninja's guides it does seem like they're saying that "you and everyone you love will die if there's the slightest imperfection with your tank's threads!"

http://i.imgur.com/HipXJAS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uKzAlYL.jpg
Djzapz is offline   Reply With Quote