PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM #22
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
20ms is for the tuning process. 20 is already too high.

if anything you need more lpr BUT i dont think thats a problem either. keep it at 1 turn inward.

its sounding more and more like a noid issue. pulling the trigger 8-12 times before the rammer moves? thats a noid having trouble activating. Ill put my money on it. 99% sure.

Im almost positive the noids are the same as the indy. If thats true, 10-14ms is perfectly fine for your weather. I rock mine in below freezing situations.
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM #23
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
WildWayz works for a Paintball manufacturer
That is what I am thinking too... and I really need it working for Sunday as I have a tournament :/
I know it is a different marker, but my Axe with a 4ms dwell is shooting fine. I've shot Spoolies at much lower temps too and sure, FSDO happens for the 1st shot then fine...

Jack is out of ideas - and said board/solenoid should be replaced. Obviously, I am in the UK and I have been trying to get the shop I bought it from to send me a new board/solenoid but keep getting asked to try more things out.

It is getting to the stage where I think the only way to get this working is to strap some hand warmers to the marker before play!
Or sell it to someone who lives in Saudi Arabia!

I'm really wanting to shoot the Alien Invasion but right now my faith in the marker is at rock bottom. That is 2 Aliens i've had with problems. I am not a total numpty when it comes to markers (I fix many Demons and Creeds at events)... but this is getting me stumped.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j4paintballeurope
WildWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 PM #24
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Well so far you keep resisting the higher LPR idea. Which has me thinkings....

It's entirely possible your LPR setting (one turn in) is totally different from what someone else's one turn in is. I'm pretty sure the Invasion uses a schrader valve in the LPR. That means, if the schrader isn't screwed in all the way, or is out too far or is loose you'll have a totally different pressure output. In fact you may want to check the schrader valve. Maybe it's defective? I had a loose one in my creed at one time. Swapped it out....no problems. They're just mass produced items.

Etek 3LT grey/black f/s
Valken Proton greyish/black f/s
68 4500 PE stubby, LP output f/s
68 4500 AIR tank(no reg) f/s
Creed/demon eyes f/s
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM #25
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
I'll replace the schrader valve now

Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM #26
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

i assure you, once it is running.. it will be one of the most reliable guns.
MacDev Clone GTi
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM #27
MstrKey

You'll probably still need more LPR pressure either way. More cold means more friction, which means more energy needed.

Gives me another thought as well. When the ram is the rear most position, can you look into the back cap and see if the ram is actually blocking the rear air inlet at all? There should be a gap to allow air to flow in. I wonder if it's machined a bit off which is causing the air flow into the back of the ram to stiffle....which can translate into bolt stick.

Etek 3LT grey/black f/s
Creed/demon eyes f/s

Last edited by MstrKey : 02-28-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 AM #28
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Hmmmm the schrader valve is completely different from the ones I have from the Creed.

This one has a longer top in the Alien - and the removal tool won't fit on it. It is also brass.

These are the ones from the Creed which look nothing like the one in the marker...

So I have left it in and not removed it.

I know what you are saying about the cold, but it isn't that cold out. I've owned lots of markers and yeah, you'd get FSDO on the 1st shot, so you up the dwell slightly and it is fine.
Never had it so 12 trigger pulls before it actually shoots...

I KNOW if I was in California, it would fire 100%.... but I am in the UK where it is cold and wet

I honestly think I have a dud - probably the solenoid...

It has now had around 7-8000 shots through her so should be pretty much broken in. When it DOES shoot, it chronos about +/- 5 and it doesn't have shootdown... unless I leave it a few minutes, then FSDO again.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 AM #29
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

solenoid
MacDev Clone GTi
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 AM #30
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
That's what I am thinking, but i've asked the place I bought it from for a replacement board/solenoid and no reply.
I can see the owner has read my texts but he just isnt replying.

I am pretty fed up and the Alien brand is now being tarnished in my mind. I've told him if I don't get a replacement board/solenoid (like Jack suggested), then I am sending it back for a full refund and i'll buy something that WORKS.

Cheers guys for all your help.

Oh... and we are sponsored by the place I bought it from :/

Last edited by WildWayz : 03-01-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:20 PM #31
MstrKey

If you had zero pressure going to the noid how many pulls would it take for the gun to cycle? It never would..........10psi? 20psi? You don't know what your LPR is putting out so you can't say it should be working fine. Your gun may need an extra turn to hit the needed 55psi. It only takes thousandths of an inch in the machining to make a big difference. You don't know. This is one of the reasons a lot of companies use pressure testers. Because you can't tell by the position of an adjuster what your pressure is. It varies from gun to gun.

I don't understand the opposition to such a simple thing. Turn the LPR up......fire a few shots.....repeat....keep going until you find a point where the gun cycles and leave it there. Wait a while and test again. If it sticks...go up some more. Standard procedure for any gun. You have to find the proper HPR vs LPR balance.

Now if it never breaks free......then you have a noid issue for sure. Until then you have to assume it's fine. Just because a gun isn't working with the settings you want to use...doesn't mean it's broken. You have to give it what it needs. At the least if will give you more information.

Hopefully Jack will be back from Extravaganza soon and be able to chime in.

Etek 3LT grey/black f/s
Creed/demon eyes f/s

Last edited by MstrKey : 03-01-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM #32
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
I'm not an imbecile - I know what is right and what isn't. I've had the LPR turned almost all the way in and it still was sticking.

I've just taken the solenoid out, and the spool tube inside I would push and it wouldnt spring back all the time.. so it was sticking. Just took it out, cleaned off all the dark grey gunk and put some DOW33 on it. Now it springs nicely.

Left the marker in the car for an hour, nice and cold.. adjusted the dwell back to 20ms, LPR 1 turn in and it shot after 4 trigger pulls... but would stick again even after 30 seconds.

Turned the LPR in 1 more turn in (so two turns) and it shot straight away. I've left it to go cold again - then will try it... but I am thinking the solenoid was gunked up with old lube.... which was causing the solenoid to stick....

EDIT:

JUST tried again... 1st shot failed, 2nd was fine. Marker was very cold... so LPR has been turned up another quarter turn... will retry in a moment.

Last edited by WildWayz : 03-01-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 AM #33
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
I talked to this player before this thread tarted and to the guys in England about this gun. We all agreed to swap out parts, starting with the board and solenoid and find where the problem is. I was told they would do it this weekend, so I don't get why all this fuss when it was agreed that it was probably not something he could fix. Not even anything to do with "Alien" other than we buy the best parts to put in our guns and one of them might have broken.

All that needs to be understood is that many Invasions have been sold in Canada and the Northeast and there isn't a problem with the cold. He was told this, yet just now I see him going on about the cold.
Jack Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 AM #34
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rice View Post
I talked to this player before this thread tarted and to the guys in England about this gun. We all agreed to swap out parts, starting with the board and solenoid and find where the problem is. I was told they would do it this weekend, so I don't get why all this fuss when it was agreed that it was probably not something he could fix. Not even anything to do with "Alien" other than we buy the best parts to put in our guns and one of them might have broken.

All that needs to be understood is that many Invasions have been sold in Canada and the Northeast and there isn't a problem with the cold. He was told this, yet just now I see him going on about the cold.
I know you told me to get a new board / solenoid - and I told Aaron @ FS Paintball what you said. He has asked me to try many, many other things like cranking up the HPR so it is holding more air in the chamber... turning LPR all the way in, setting dwell lower... setting dwell at 30ms... changing the grease on the rammer... replacing orings... changing batteries (for the 4th time)...
I've told him all this week that I need it working for tomorrow (Sunday) as I have a UWL tournament (which is being recording for television).
I've asked him to send me a new board and solenoid many, many times.

Yesterday he stopped replying to my polite (I have been nothing but polite and grateful for the help) texts and doesn't pick up when I call him. He has read my texts as iMessage tells me when it is delivered/read.

So I have no idea if i'll receive the new solenoid/board today.

THAT is the reason why I am on the offensive now Jack. Not personal against you, but see it from a customer's POV and not an owners POV; I bought a marker brand new. It doesn't work. I've received some very good troubleshooting tips. Still isn't working. So I need replacement parts... when that happens, everything goes quiet and I get brushed under the carpet. I should not have to strip a solenoid to try and fix it (as suggested by Aaron). Whilst it seems to have improved things a bit, it is still suffering it.

I've told Aaron that if I don't get a new board/solenoid today, I am returning it for a full refund as it is DOA.

Also, let's get some facts straight too...
This thread was created on the 24th Feb 2013 @ 5:10pm GMT. I emailed you on 26th Feb 2013 @ 8:52pm GMT - so I didn't talk to you first then create the thread. I came on here for advice then when nothing was working, I then emailed you for help. I also called and emailed Aaron too.

Now as I said, if you told Aaron to replace the board and solenoid then he for some reason is reluctant to do that. I think after almost a week of pretty much constant troubleshooting, it is evident there is a problem... as I said, I have told you and Aaron that I need it working for Sunday. You've never offered to replace those parts - no idea if you told Aaron to do it or not, but he hasn't replaced them. So you have got to understand my frustration.

Even last night when someone sent me a message about my thoughts on the Alien, I was positive; saying it is so simple to strip and very well built. Also feels smoother than my EGO11 and quieter. So I am not into bashing things for the sake of it, but I am just frustrated and let down by FS Paintball and unfortunately Alien too as that is the product I bought. If today a solenoid/board drops through my letter box, then my view would change as it will mean Aaron actually cares about things, but as he ignored all my calls and texts yesterday I doubt that will happen.

Last edited by WildWayz : 03-02-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 AM #35
Jack Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWayz View Post
I know you told me to get a new board / solenoid - - So I have no idea if i'll receive the new solenoid/board today.

THAT is the reason why I am on the offensive now Jack.
Everything between the time you talked with me and now has been useless. If you get the parts the gun will work correctly. If not then OK, but a bunch of questions and constantly trying to fix a problem that can't be fixed - well maybe they found it a bit draining.
Remember these are high quality, low profit guns. You buy a $1,200 gun that costs not much more to build and its easier to jump hoops - just a thought.

Quote:
Even last night when someone sent me a message about my thoughts on the Alien, I was positive; saying it is so simple to strip and very well built. Also feels smoother than my EGO11 and quieter. So I am not into bashing things for the sake of it, but I am just frustrated and let down by FS Paintball and unfortunately Alien too as that is the product I bought. If today a solenoid/board drops through my letter box, then my view would change as it will mean Aaron actually cares about things, but as he ignored all my calls and texts yesterday I doubt that will happen.
I thought he was meeting you. Anyway he told me he would swap out parts until the problem is found.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM #36
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Everything between the time you talked with me and now has been useless. If you get the parts the gun will work correctly. If not then OK, but a bunch of questions and constantly trying to fix a problem that can't be fixed - well maybe they found it a bit draining.
Remember these are high quality, low profit guns. You buy a $1,200 gun that costs not much more to build and its easier to jump hoops - just a thought.
I can understand that, and I have never knocked the markers themselves, just that I am banging my head against the wall at the moment. I've worked in customers service a long, long time and it is frustrating when the customer tries everything and still the item isn't working.

Things can go wrong - that is the nature of the beast - but what sets people above and beyond others, is how companies rectify the situation. I can appreciate you are far away, but pressure needs to be put onto FS Paintball who carry out repairs and sales to actually fix it.

As mentioned, he has known since Monday of the problem. Actually, that is a lie - Sunday. His partner called him directly to alert him to the problem.
He also knew from then that I needed it working for tomorrow.

I feel so let down - especially the arrogance of him not answering messages.

Quote:
I thought he was meeting you. Anyway he told me he would swap out parts until the problem is found.
He hasn't told me that at all. He is based in Kent, me in Leeds. It is about 5-6hrs away and I don't think he is driving up to UWL tomorrow (he is most likely to attend the southern UWL tournament).

The last time I heard from Aaron was Thursday night. He has read my texts and ignored them. I've tried calling his land line which diverts to his mobile, he doesnt pick up. I've tried calling his mobile, no answer.

Post has been and gone and no board/solenoid either. Short of pinching the board and solenoid out of the Alien he gave to my local shop to check out (scrap that, Martin @ FS collected it last week), I have no secondary marker for tomorrow now. I've actually used this marker for about 5 minutes total :/
Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM #37
MstrKey

Well at least we know the noid is a problem for sure now. I don't remember you ever saying you tried turning up the LPR so it's all good. I know you're not an imbecile.

You say the grease inside the noid was grey? That seems pretty weird to me. Most companies use a dow grease in the noids which is usually pink or white. Grey could be white that's been contaminated.....or perhaps orings degrading into the lube.

Whatever you did seems to be helping obviously. You may want to cycle it a bit then clean it out again. Your fresh lube will grab hold of anymore contaminated stuff. A second cleaning may work even better and get you going for the tournament.

Etek 3LT grey/black f/s
Creed/demon eyes f/s

Last edited by MstrKey : 03-02-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM #38
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Thanks - i'll try that. Left the marker in the car for 30 mins or so and tried again - 5 trigger pulls, so there is still a problem.

Just shot off the remainder of my air now, so tomorrow i'll try it out at the chrono etc and see how she fairs but I am not holding my breath. End of tomorrow, i'll clean the solenoid again and get some more air too.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 AM #39
Jack Rice

Quote:
End of tomorrow, i'll clean the solenoid again and get some more air too.
Don't do it, the gun is broke. The more time you spend fooling with it the worse you are going to feel.
I would sent you parts, but it is so expensive to ship stuff to England - then don't know if it will be right. If you will send me the gun, really small box, not bag and barrel, make it cheap. I will get it running right and ship it back.
You will have as much luck taking it apart again as if you threw salt over your shoulder and danced around in a circle 3 times.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM #40
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
Thanks Jack

Just an update, I am going to post the marker back to Aaron. I spoke to Martin @ FS today at the UWL and he said Aaron doesn't have any spare solenoids/boards. He will also contact Aaron today to find out why he isnt getting back to me.

It is such a shame that it was still sticking today @ 9C weather as once you clear the stick (and swab your barrel ) it was honestly shooting +/-2fps over the chrono - possibly the most consistent marker over the chrono I have used so far!
Shame that after a few mins, it sticks again. Thanks again Jack.