PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM #1
spaz22colon
thats ery day

Need Help Asap!!!!

Today i was cleaning my gear to get it ready for the weekend when i pulled out my tank and saw the top covered with a white powdery substance. It looks like you can just wipe it off but you almost need a wire brush to get it off. My tank is still holding air but my concern is that it is only on the regulator. I thought that it may be a battery but i cannot find the battery anywhere in my bag. I started to clean it but figured i should post a pic before i cleaned it off.

Also, you can tell in one of the pics it is eating through the metal. I was just curious if this is still safe to use but i need to know ASAP so i can get a new one ordered before the weekend. Thanks!

spaz22colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 PM #2
hit_wiper

Hopefully someone with more expertise can help you out. But personally, if it's etching the metal I wouldn't ever use it again. And I would be afraid what it was doing to the underside of the reg that meets with the threads in the neck.

HPA is the one thing I would rather be paranoid about than risk it. Hell if it was my only tank, and once I bled the air, and removed the reg, and anything looked wrong with the actual bottle, I would go as far as to just rent a tank at my field.

Last edited by hit_wiper : 07-28-2014 at 06:50 PM.
hit_wiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM #3
spaz22colon
thats ery day

I was told that it was just mildew. Is that still a problem or good to use?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 PM #4
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
If it's mildew you need to really clean your bag out and look at where you are storing your gear.
If it's corrosion then you have another problem on your hands.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 PM #5
JAllen7287

JAllen7287 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I HIGHLY doubt it's mildew. If it's eating the aluminum, then it's probably one of 2 things: 1 - Whatever it got cleaned with with was caustic and is oxidizing the aluminum(it looks like it's worse in a wiping pattern, as though it was wiped on), or 2 - either some chemical or just the aluminum reg against the steel tank is electrolysizing the the reg. Let the air out of the tank, unscrew the reg, and see if the steel is rusting at the point of contact. By the way, if it's electrolysizing or oxidizing, it will be completely safe right up until the reg shoots out like a big bullet. If the threads are being attacked the same as the exterior of the reg, it's a time bomb.
JAllen7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM #6
spaz22colon
thats ery day

Ok Ill give that a try. Keep the advice coming! Thanks guys!
Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM #7
rcontrera

If you have aluminum being eaten away, drain the pressure and get it into a TRAINED service facility or send it back to the manufacturer NOW!
800-344-9267
Ask about FREE shipping for your new compressor.
rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote