Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM #1
Klaussen

Paradigm shift to paintball as a sport

I was first draw into paintball as a game I would play every now and then with my friends on the woods. Then there was a great growth as it transformed from a hobby into a sport. The field changed, the rules changed, the equipment changed and the game itself changed. Suddenly paintball wasn't a 20 minute match game but a 3 minute match competition as players and markers got faster and better.

Think of the tournaments and compare them to any other mayor team sport in terms of time and entertainment.

The average football match is 3 hrs long. A soccer match is about 2 hrs. Baseball 3hrs. Basketball 2:30. Hockey 3 hrs.

In this sports the viewer has the opportunity to track the action as it unfolds. He can savour the moment and the action in a 2-3 hr pacage. People has time to appreciate what the heck is going on in the field. Even when their team is down they can hope for a "come back".

Even more, this sports thrive on geography as they have a supportive fandom backing up their home team buying their merchandise. I mean, when you watch your local team agains any other team you want more than 3 minutes of a ramping fulmination. Either your team looses giving you 3 hrs of thrill or you team wins giving you 3 hrs of "WE are kicking their ***". You get to know every single player, their position, their strengths and their weakness. More importantly, almost anyone can practice this sports anywhere and with a low budget. No need for professional equipment or a specialized field, any kid can grab a ball and be the weekend hero at the park match against the rivaling neighbors.

Paintball, as a professional sport, is on a totally different set to me. For anyone not familiarized with the sport, it is difficult to keep track of the action and before they know it, the match has ended. Your team just lost and you were in the bathroom peeing...

Professional paintball fandom is based strictly on a minority of paintball players. Someone that doesn't play paintball will hardly view a match, let alone undersand it. Even players that love paintball as a hobby hardly keep track of the tournaments (too many and too local).

Even though I love paintball, when I think of it as a professional sport, I canīt help but throwing it along with sailing championships or professional pool. As it is, the sport of paintball canīt gain more glory than an unpopular olympic game glorified every 4 years at the most. Changes must be made for the sport to become more attractive to watch and easier to follow.

I may be wrong about the whole idea but here I lay some possible ideas.

a).- Tournaments
Instead of many local tournaments in which every team travels to a city that last a couple of days, why not make a season long tournament like any mayor sport does?

b).- Game length.
Instead of a 3 to 10 minute match have a longer game. By this I donīt mean having a slowed down version of paintball but rather having a series of consecutive matches beween the 2 teams. This way teams may switch strategies to score as the game unfolds, athletics and performance are more "showy", and you give a better chance for unfamiliar viewers to understand what is going on an the audience as a whole to savour the moment.

c) Markers.
Sure it is cool to view top of the line equipement with peak performance such as it is with formula 1 car racing, but as with car racing, unfamiliar audiences will under rate the sportsmen ability and give the credit to the equipment rather than to the athletes. Also, pushing expensive equipment into sports makes them fall into the "elitist activity" category.

People love folk heroes. Give them something they can try to emulate. You can see what "top of the line" gear has done to the sport in any local field. New people with low budget have little to no chance against a team with geo7s and endless cases of paintballs. This makes newcomers leave the sport as they are in for "not a good time". Baseball has heavy restrictions on bats and gloves as to keep the game fair. Even formula 1 has changed their rules so that low budget teams can compete up tu par with the bigger teams. Give the newcomers something they can emulate and the "regulars" something they can admire (skill rather than gear). (I know that there are some restrictions already around fire rate)

I would love to see the pro players play at ground level; to see what they can do with a mechanical marker and a restricted amont of paint. That should be interesting...

Paintball is still growing but its rate of growth is decaying. The main area of growth is not in paintball as a sport but rather in paintball as a hobby. People are going back to the woods and recball is ever more popular. Why? you may ask. I can only guess that its all about what people can understand and associate with. A paradigm shift is called for if we want to make this sport grow.

( I apologize for any gramatical or spelling errors. I donīt mean any disrespect to the reader. English is not my native language).

Last edited by Klaussen : 02-22-2013 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Adding a last thought.
Klaussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2013, 06:40 AM #2
MenosDaBear

MenosDaBear owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
A) Professional tournaments are already a 6-7 month season.

B) The games are already consecutive games between 2 teams. They are called "race to" and are the standard in PSP and many other tournaments. With a race to 7, one could potentially see 13 games played back to back by the same teams.

C) There are gun restrictions in the professional circuit, and there are professional teams that use $450 guns. Far from F1 top of the line or unobtainable by a normal recreational player.

Seems like pretty much everything your asking for is already in place. You should head over to socialpaintball.com when the season starts and watch some games, its sounds like you will enjoy it.
MenosDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM #3
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenosDaBear View Post
A) Professional tournaments are already a 6-7 month season.

B) The games are already consecutive games between 2 teams. They are called "race to" and are the standard in PSP and many other tournaments. With a race to 7, one could potentially see 13 games played back to back by the same teams.

C) There are gun restrictions in the professional circuit, and there are professional teams that use $450 guns. Far from F1 top of the line or unobtainable by a normal recreational player.

Seems like pretty much everything your asking for is already in place. You should head over to socialpaintball.com when the season starts and watch some games, its sounds like you will enjoy it.
What he said Also, you can go to paintballaccess.com and watch all the pro games as well as the divisional finals from every psp tournament last year. Plus tons of videos on youtube as well.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 PM #4
MrLittlerSmith
Should Be Doing Homework

MrLittlerSmith has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
although some of what you said is in place, I think a paint restriction per team is a great idea. this way teams could "ration" more paint to back players, less to snake, etc.

"Originally posted by DB-1071: "Pump players are the first ones I shoot in open play rec-ball, those guys are sneaky bastards!!!"
MrLittlerSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM #5
MenosDaBear

MenosDaBear owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ahhhh my mistake, I definitely meant paintballaccess for live events! They provide great coverage. socialpaintball is great for highlights and compilations afterwords.
MenosDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM #6
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLittlerSmith View Post
although some of what you said is in place, I think a paint restriction per team is a great idea. this way teams could "ration" more paint to back players, less to snake, etc.
This will never happen, and nor should it despite the small vocal minority pushing the limited ammo philosophy.

Xball is based on flinging a lot of paint, as it should be. More paint sold = more $$ for the paint producing companies = more $$ flowing through the industry.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM #7
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
why do ppl keep saying that paint should be limited?? ive seen this argument before and frankly, its stupid. paintball is a different kind of sport. its different and thats why we love it so much. paintball will NEVER be just like all the other major sports, and again this is one of the reasons why we love it. stop trying to make paintball into something it isnt. if ppl dont like it, they wont watch it. who cares. the only thing that matters is that we love the sport we play and we continue to do so

tl;dr - we different for a reason, stop trying to be like all the rest

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM #8
longcat666

I have to say despite what everybody is sasying here i have to agree with klaussen. Mostly on the point that new teams with not as much funds for decent gear dont have a shot in tournament play. I speak from personal experience in this and also think there should be restrictions laid down to benefit underfunded teams.
longcat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:01 PM #9
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by longcat666 View Post
I have to say despite what everybody is sasying here i have to agree with klaussen. Mostly on the point that new teams with not as much funds for decent gear dont have a shot in tournament play. I speak from personal experience in this and also think there should be restrictions laid down to benefit underfunded teams.

paintball is an expensive sport. always was. prob always will be. if you cant afford to play, thats your problem not everyone else's in paintball world. sry if it seems harsh, but thats reality.

and new teams do have a chance. you have to play in the division you belong in, prob D5 and you have to play to get better. expensive equipment doesnt make the player. you can go to a D5 tourny and do well with a setup that only cost $500 or less. no need to spend $1k+ for a marker.

as far as paint in tournys...see above statement. paintball is expensive

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM #10
MrLittlerSmith
Should Be Doing Homework

MrLittlerSmith has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfiretibby View Post
why do ppl keep saying that paint should be limited?? ive seen this argument before and frankly, its stupid. paintball is a different kind of sport. its different and thats why we love it so much. paintball will NEVER be just like all the other major sports, and again this is one of the reasons why we love it. stop trying to make paintball into something it isnt. if ppl dont like it, they wont watch it. who cares. the only thing that matters is that we love the sport we play and we continue to do so

tl;dr - we different for a reason, stop trying to be like all the rest
Please elaborate. "Different" as in what? All I'm saying is that it would totally switch the game up if say for a different model of gameplay that teams had a limited amount of paint. Nothing crazy, just enough to where they know that they have tho think about what they're doing a bit more. Just a thought, and who said it'd have to be xball? If paintball stays the exact same as it is right now then that my friends is how paintball will die.

"Originally posted by DB-1071: "Pump players are the first ones I shoot in open play rec-ball, those guys are sneaky bastards!!!"
MrLittlerSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM #11
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by longcat666 View Post
Gear doesn't win tourneys. Good teams win tourneys.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM #12
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLittlerSmith View Post
Please elaborate. "Different" as in what? All I'm saying is that it would totally switch the game up if say for a different model of gameplay that teams had a limited amount of paint. Nothing crazy, just enough to where they know that they have tho think about what they're doing a bit more. Just a thought, and who said it'd have to be xball? If paintball stays the exact same as it is right now then that my friends is how paintball will die.
This option of "costing less" already exists.. It's called pump. You can't shoot 30 cases of paint at an event playing pump... Otherwise you'd have arms bigger then the dude pictured in Lurker's avatar, and that wouldn't be very practical for reaching back to pull pods out!

If you limited paint quantity for tournaments, don't you think paint cost would have to go up so that the profit didn't vanish? You'd be paying more to shoot less, therefore I think the "teams without enough money" would still be boned.

I play regional events because I personally can't afford nation events. Couple of the regional events I play the "beginner" or "rookie" classes shoot 10.5bps so that it reduces the amount of paint in the air, and makes it a lot harder to shoot a ton of paint thereby reducing the cost for the less experienced, potentially poorer teams. But if I want to shoot all 9 pods I carry on my back, I can still do it.. If I choose.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM #13
VSportsGuy

Annual Supporting Member
VSportsGuy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
VSportsGuy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
VSportsGuy supports DLX Technology
I've never heard the limited paint discussion before. I find that very interesting. You can induce a lot more creativity and game-planning if there was limited paint along with ROF restrictions. You could let a 5-man team divide up 62.5 BPS and X paint however they choose between players. Penalties could result in a reduction in paint/ROF. You could even give teams a certain amount of paint per match rather than per game. This could cause games where teams are trying to conserve as much paint as possible which is an interesting dynamic.

It would make people actually get an entire pods worth instead of dumping half of it on the ground

It's probably not good for paintball, but it's fun to think about.

On a more serious note, paintball will never be a mainstream sport. It's just too expensive. The start-up cost isn't the problem (even though most tournament players have dropped over a thousand in gear over their life). It's the cost of paint. In baseball, it may cost you $500 to get a nice bat and glove, but after that, there are no further costs. In paintball, you pay every single time you play.

The reason why baseball, football, basketball are mainstream sports is because almost all of us have played on teams at one point in our lives. We've all played youth baseball and we all know the rules. You would need the same amount of people to play on paintball teams to get paintball mainstream. And people just can't afford to play tournament paintball. Most people go out and try paintball once or twice but when they come home and realize they've spent $100, they see it as a luxury, not a sport.

Btw, if paintball ever made it to the olympics, it would be a monumental success. That would probably be the biggest stage paintball could ever get to.

I think paintball's tournament popularity is almost directly linked to the price of paint. If you bring the price down, more people can justify the price tag that comes with tournament paintball. What would it take to get paintball to be a mainstream sport? I think you'd have to get paint down to like $5 case, which is totally unrealistic.

The only change that I'd like to see is one premier league with a super bowl type game. The PSP is definitely emerging as that league, but the NPPL is still a hindrance in my opinion. The MLB, NFL, and NBA don't have any competitors, we all know where the best players are playing. Paintball should be the same, lengthen the PSP season and drop the NPPL (most people agree that the PSP is more exciting to watch than the NPPL). Take the best 4/6/8 teams and have "playoffs". You don't even have to do this at an event, it could be at the higher seed's home field to be more like the major sports. Then have the super bowl. Every sport has one big game/series to decide the champion of the league, why should paintball be any different.
VSportsGuy is online now   Reply With Quote