big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeCop View Post
PS3 didn't dominate this generation because of its starting price and slow releases for exclusives. They seem to of fixed that and more in the PS4. And I dunno about you, but the marketing for the PS4 conference was way better than giant enemy crab/RIIIIIDGE RAAACER!
Sony conferences certainly have gotten better, but that's not exactly marketing. It's generating buzz, but it's directed toward a very core set of Potential customers. I'm talking about them not pushing their exclusive titles nearly enough with TV, and web ads.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM #23
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooshka View Post
I seriously hate the PS3 controller just because of the analog sticks. They feel loose as well as the fact that they are on the same plane (I like the Xbox's offset analog sticks). The triggers were OK but I preferred the Xbox triggers as well.
See, I prefer to have them in the same spot. Having identical placement just makes things feel more in place for me. The joysticks, I do agree, are a bit loose. Supposedly, they've improved the feeling of the joysticks with this new controller. We'll have to see how they do.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM #24
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
As always I have my preferences, but I end up with both major consoles (Well, all 3 considering I folded and picked up a Wii U for SMB) so most of my stuff I want is preferential... as I mainly just care about the experience when I power it on.

#1. As mentioned above the analog sticks.
-- The XB360 has that slight bit of stiffness/response to them that I dig since it's much easier for me to use the actual force to assist with my movement amounts, and not just literally knowing how much it moves (I like the tactile sort of push back when I'm swinging a gun around in a game or whatever).

#2. The online integration.
-- While the PSN definitely does what it's supposed to, and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm an experience junkie, and I just personally dig the level of integration on the XB360 between everything and how seemless it is overall.

#3. Games!
-- I love their blockbuster games (PS3), but I tend to find myself rarely playing anything else since most people tend to be on the XB360 that I know. I'd really REALLY like to see them put a lot more "shine" on their games, and hopefully the change to x86 architecture will help developers do that so I find myself drawn more to the PS4. Again, expecting to own both... I want one to draw me in, and stand apart. The XB360 did it this generation and finally the Playstation is showing that light again.

We'll see...
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM #25
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

i just hope they dont have the overheating issue the 60gb ps3's did. i went through 4 of them.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM #26
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
i just hope they dont have the overheating issue the 60gb ps3's did. i went through 4 of them.
they will.

The YLOD and RROD are both caused by the solder cracking under the GPU. since the industry was forced to use lead free solder, this issue will probably be around for a long time unless they find some way to really cool systems.

you can pay to have a small shop reball your gpu with leaded solder, which flexs with the heat and doesnt crack.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 PM #27
AxeCop

Consoles have always had piss poor cooling. I mean, look at a PC, then look at a console... Consoles have like 2 fans total, and a high end pc had like 6 case fans, 2 fans on the cpu and a 1-3 fans per gpu.

Last edited by AxeCop : 02-21-2013 at 10:01 PM.
AxeCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 AM #28
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
they will.

The YLOD and RROD are both caused by the solder cracking under the GPU. since the industry was forced to use lead free solder, this issue will probably be around for a long time unless they find some way to really cool systems.

you can pay to have a small shop reball your gpu with leaded solder, which flexs with the heat and doesnt crack.
I actually don't think it will be as big an issue as you think, at least not from Microsoft. They took a bath with the RROD issues early in the consoles lifetime, implementing that 3 year warranty that I'm sure lost them money. In recent years, with the slim I think they got a handle on making the heating issue much less prevalent by working on using hardware that runs cooler rathe than trying to cool existing hardware better. I think this idea will carry over into the next Xbox.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 PM #29
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Im just tired of "current" gen hardware being hilariously underpowered and the huge negative effect it has had in wasting developers time, ultimately bad for the industry

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist
Polarst*r Engineering and Machine

ElPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM #30
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
As long as the system is reliable I'll be on board. My PS3 has been a tank since I got it, I'm not even interested in the new Xbox until it's been out for a while just because of the lack of reliability.
I'm also digging the Quantic Dreams games for their graphics/realism and story. So that's a developer I already like ontop of the others. As long as I can still play my ps1-ps3 games on it as well, that would be awesome. I love the backwards compatibility just for when I want to break something out for nostalgia. Like my copy of Xenogears I've been sitting on for years.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 PM #31
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

I know that feel bro

Was really let down with the overall lack of backwards comp. with both consoles

Have a ton of old games I would love to play for the nostalgia but apparently its too difficult to get 13 year old games running on current hardware...

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist

Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 PM #32
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
apparently its too difficult to get 13 year old games running on current hardware...
It really is.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 AM #33
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard supports Empire
I can kind of understand it since they're changing the entire architecture of the console.

So for it to work its going to need some burley emulation, and that could be a big resource drain on the system with hit/miss results.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 AM #34
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
I can kind of understand it since they're changing the entire architecture of the console.

So for it to work its going to need some burley emulation, and that could be a big resource drain on the system with hit/miss results.
Yea pretty much this. You either have to put a whole other console in the case, like the early PS3 handled it, or emulate it, which if you have tried to emulate fairly modern consoles, is really resource intensive. It's not like just running an old PC game on a new PC.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 AM #35
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
ps3 games will eventually be playable on their cloud network so who cares if its not BC at launch.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM #36
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
If they're all going to be running like 4-8 gigs or ram or whatever the specs are, how much power could running an emulator really take up? The new consoles are going to be more PC-like now more then ever.
They could drop in another chip set like they did with the 60 gig PS3 to run the PS2 games. Which in turn pretty much ran all the PSone games.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM #37
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Im more upset that it was ignored as a design goal from the outset

IMO ps4/nextbox should be fully BC out of the box

Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 PM #38
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
If they're all going to be running like 4-8 gigs or ram or whatever the specs are, how much power could running an emulator really take up? The new consoles are going to be more PC-like now more then ever.
They could drop in another chip set like they did with the 60 gig PS3 to run the PS2 games. Which in turn pretty much ran all the PSone games.
That other chip is the kicker. The fact that it's not backward-compatible means that the two systems use different processor architecture, so the code for PS3 games won't run natively on the PS4's CPU. That means you'd have to emulate a PS3 processor on a PS4, as well as run the code on this software processor. Nobody's made a PS3 emulator for PC (far as I'm aware) because of this.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM #39
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
What PS3 game could you possibly want to play so bad that BC is such a huge deal? I can't think of a game that I want to play on my PS3 now, let alone when the PS4 comes out. Anyway, it's simply too expensive to put BC into the PS4 because of the PS3's CELL architecture. However the switch to x86 means better third party support and better multiplatform ports for the PS4 which is a good thing for Sony fans.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM #40
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard supports Empire
Uncharted series

Last of Us is PS3 nd not PS4 from what I read so far

inFamous games

LBP1&2

Those are on my list. Last of Us being the big one. Although I'm hoping to find its a dual design title because ND is one of the biggest exclusive developers.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM #41
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
they will.

i guess i feel i should add, that the 4th one hasnt overheated, the disk drive gave out. so i just bought a slim....not pleased with it either, its constantly freezing and takes forever for textures to render sometimes.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM #42
Rain

Killzone Shadow Fall looks nice can't wait to pwn some noobs online
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote