Community Focus

Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM #1
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Playstation 4

Playstation 4 was just officially unvieled at Sony's New York expo

few things I picked up on

- new controller is nice looking, look forward to a change ergonomically
- new PC esque architecture means devs will have a much easier time, ultimately making better games and making the console more successful
- graphics looked really good (bearing it mind its a console) particularly impressed with Killzone: Shadow Fall and Destiny as well as Infamous: Second Son (think thats what it was called)
- they didnt show the physical console so I assume its not fit to be seen yet
- very impressed with the "fraps" style system they are implimenting, really happy that they realize the potential for capturing awesome gaming moments at any time

they pretty much took everything I hated about my PS3 and are doing what appears to be a damn fine job of fixing it

initial impressions point to excitement, I was already certain I would own both microsoft and sony consoles next gen but seeing what Sony just unvieled is making the decision of which I will play more very difficult.

anyone else catch the live stream or am I the only nerd here ...

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist
Polarst*r Engineering and Machine

ElPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM #2
Terd Fergusen
HOTDOG AND SWEETHOG

Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Terd Fergusen has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
interesting stream. definitely a big step up from current gen consoles, but will still be behind the majority of current gaming PCs. the sculpture thing surprised me and seemed pretty cool, actually. watchdogs and deep down (dragons dogma anyone?!) videos were pretty great, but they were both said to be multiplats (so was the new Bungie IP which honestly didn't look all that interesting to me), so i don't see them drawing anyone to the platform just for those titles.

another big thing will be the price point. i feel like it could be anywhere from $300 to $700. if it ends up being on the higher end of that, i feel like a lot of people will pass until there's a price drop.

Terd Fergusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM #3
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Im eager to see microsofts tech now more than anything

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM #4
Imnothungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terd Fergusen View Post
interesting stream. definitely a big step up from current gen consoles, but will still be behind the majority of current gaming PCs. the sculpture thing surprised me and seemed pretty cool, actually. watchdogs and deep down (dragons dogma anyone?!) videos were pretty great, but they were both said to be multiplats (so was the new Bungie IP which honestly didn't look all that interesting to me), so i don't see them drawing anyone to the platform just for those titles.

another big thing will be the price point. i feel like it could be anywhere from $300 to $700. if it ends up being on the higher end of that, i feel like a lot of people will pass until there's a price drop.
the second part is huge. with pretty much every PC release having xbox controller comparability i am not willing to spend 500+ for a console. honestly, it should not cost more than 4-500 bucks (it definitely will, though)
Imnothungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM #5
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Annual Supporting Member
Citizen X is a Forum Captain
I don't care about any of the social media integration, streaming my gameplay videos, or using that camera it comes with at all. I don't ever see myself using that "share" button on the controller. I've also never used netflix or hulu, though I know many do. My only concern waiting for this was the quality of the games I can play on it. I think, with the strong releases the ps3 has had, that the PS4 exclusives around the console's launch will be significantly stronger than the PS3's was when it debuted.

I'm actually not as let down with the announcement as I thought I would be.

Pretty excited to see a new Killzone and and a new inFamous on the horizon.
Citizen X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM #6
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)

paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Meh, in the end.. It's still a console. Going to be overpriced for what you get, and you will still have more flexibility with a PC.
paintballking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM #7
Tooshka
FBGM

Where can I find a video of the announcement? I just got off work so I missed it.

Edit: Just looked up some clips on YouTube and read some articles.

Last edited by Tooshka : 02-20-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Tooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 PM #8
xDarkk
Cool enough

xDarkk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
xDarkk has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballking72 View Post
Meh, in the end.. It's still a console. Going to be overpriced for what you get, and you will still have more flexibility with a PC.
agreed. After being primarily a console gamer most of my life I am not stepping into the next gen of consoles. I have decided to build a pc instead.
xDarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 PM #9
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooshka View Post
Where can I find a video of the announcement? I just got off work so I missed it.
Check ign or n4g

Ill likely always be a console jockey just because all my friends are plus I enjoy laying in bed and playing versus in a chair at a desk

Last edited by ElPanda : 02-20-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM #10
Tooshka
FBGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen X View Post
Pretty excited to see a new Killzone and and a new inFamous on the horizon.
Both those games looked boring to me. Like same ****, new sequel. Watch Dogs looked interesting though. Destiny loks pretty sweet too.

I also like how they did the touch screen on the controller. It's more of an accessory that can be used in games if developers choose to use it as opposed to the Wii U's massive touch screen that, if left unused during a game, makes the controller feel bulky and pointless.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM #11
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post

Ill likely always be a console jockey just because all my friends are plus I enjoy laying in bed and playing versus in a chair at a desk

I have a pretty *****in' PC but I'm still really excited for new consoles. Mainly, because most of my friends will be on them, and there are some games I prefer on consoles simply because I like to sit in my comfy chair, load up a game and play with little hassle or setup.

I also really like the share stuff. I'm hoping the Xbox has something similar. I just think it would be cool to watch my friend play a new game I haven't got yet and chat with him about it.

Basically, I don't plan on getting a PS4 until it drops in price down the road, but if the demos were any indication of what to expect from new console launch games, then I can't wait for the Xbox reveal.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 AM #12
AxeCop

If the PS4 is FIVEHUNDEDANDNINTYNINEUSDOLLARS on release like the ps3, I honestly don't see it selling, especially in this economy (hohoho)

Microsoft will need to step its game up, though. Halo was a HUGE selling point for xbox - and now that (desitny) is multi plat with EXCLUSIVE CONTENT ON PS4, xbox doesn't have much to it any more. Like... They got gears. That is about it. While Sony has ratchet and clank, forza, sly cooper, uncharted... You get it.

Consoles is a war of exclusives and price, and I cant see Microsoft topping Sony for exclusives.

Last edited by AxeCop : 02-21-2013 at 12:47 AM.
AxeCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 AM #13
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
i really like what they did with the controller. i wont be using the share button much because i like being able to edit the video before i upload it but everything else i really like.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 AM #14
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeCop View Post
If the PS4 is FIVEHUNDEDANDNINTYNINEUSDOLLARS on release like the ps3, I honestly don't see it selling, especially in this economy (hohoho)

Microsoft will need to step its game up, though. Halo was a HUGE selling point for xbox - and now that (desitny) is multi plat with EXCLUSIVE CONTENT ON PS4, xbox doesn't have much to it any more. Like... They got gears. That is about it. While Sony has ratchet and clank, forza, sly cooper, uncharted... You get it.

Consoles is a war of exclusives and price, and I cant see Microsoft topping Sony for exclusives.
Yea, because all those exclusives really made Sony dominate Microsoft this generation.

The fact is, it's not just console exclusives but timed exclusives help too, and MS kills Sony at that. Plus Sony absolutely sucks at marketing and Microsoft has shown they do.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 AM #15
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

I just want the next battlefield already

Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM #16
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnothungry View Post
the second part is huge. with pretty much every PC release having xbox controller comparability i am not willing to spend 500+ for a console. honestly, it should not cost more than 4-500 bucks (it definitely will, though)
Rumors are saying $430. Sony won't make the same mistake they did last time. That mistake cost them a huge part of their market share. They seem to be doing things right for now.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM #17
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

i love what they are doing, fixing almost all the problems they had with the PS3;
Overpriced due to PS2 hardware inside and fighting the BluRay war
Late release date
Controllers lacked vibration/triggers noone really liked
Very late release of exclusives (SOCOM, GT5, God of War, still no Kingdom Hearts)
Proprietary CELL and RSX make porting difficult

Basically theyre like "Let's just fix all of those, sound good?" But now it all comes down to Sony following through and the wait to see what Microsoft wants to do. Im excited for it
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM #18
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
And this is definitely a step up if the MS rumors hold true (which I honestly doubt they will) :

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155576

I'm actually excited about Media Molecule's sculpting program. It's like Zbrush in 3D space. The inner-modeler in me immediately fell in love with the idea.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM #19
Gacct

Gacct supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
I just want the next battlefield already
I want bf:bc3 before bf4
Gacct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM #20
AxeCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
i love what they are doing, fixing almost all the problems they had with the PS3;
Overpriced due to PS2 hardware inside and fighting the BluRay war
Late release date
Controllers lacked vibration/triggers noone really liked
Very late release of exclusives (SOCOM, GT5, God of War, still no Kingdom Hearts)
Proprietary CELL and RSX make porting difficult

Basically theyre like "Let's just fix all of those, sound good?" But now it all comes down to Sony following through and the wait to see what Microsoft wants to do. Im excited for it
I loved the ps3 controllers triggers, much better than the 360 bumpers... and ps3 controllers do have vibration.

The PS3 controller is basically a ps1/2 controller with wireless and a few motion features. people lurved the ps1 and 2 controllers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_scott View Post
Yea, because all those exclusives really made Sony dominate Microsoft this generation.

The fact is, it's not just console exclusives but timed exclusives help too, and MS kills Sony at that. Plus Sony absolutely sucks at marketing and Microsoft has shown they do.
PS3 didn't dominate this generation because of its starting price and slow releases for exclusives. They seem to of fixed that and more in the PS4. And I dunno about you, but the marketing for the PS4 conference was way better than giant enemy crab/RIIIIIDGE RAAACER!

Last edited by AxeCop : 02-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.
AxeCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM #21
Tooshka
FBGM

I seriously hate the PS3 controller just because of the analog sticks. They feel loose as well as the fact that they are on the same plane (I like the Xbox's offset analog sticks). The triggers were OK but I preferred the Xbox triggers as well.