Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM #1
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA beginner division
Stako tanks?

I just read about Stako's tanks and checked out their site, and they seem to have an interesting tank. The tank itself without a reg is just 0.75 kg which is about 1.6-1.7 lbs, while most American tanks are about 1.9-2 lbs.

From what I can guess from their site, it seems like it's just like American tanks, but instead of having an aluminum core wrapped with fiber, it's a fiber shell with a rubber liner inside.

Has anyone ever used one and/or know how they're made?

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 AM #2
gamer565
Place ran by hypocrites

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
There not allowed to be filled in the US.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM #3
tyronejk
titular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
There not allowed to be filled in the US.
Yeah, I know. But I'm still curious about how they're made.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM #4
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Just as you said. No aluminum liner. When they fail they can blow up. If a good tank actually failed it wouldn't fragment. The stakos will iirc. You don't want one.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM #5
tyronejk
titular

Okay, cool, thanks.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:23 PM #6
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Per people in Europe, those that have used them, they are very light. But the problem for them in the US is that that they can't be hydrotested. So legally, anyplace that fills HPA tanks can't fill them. Are there some people that have talked their local field into filling them up? Yep, but I can't say who. Most people don't want to bring down that kind of heat upon their local field.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 PM #7
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
They're made with polymer layers wrapped in kevlar. So it's essentially a plastic bladder held together by kevlar fibers.
Not only can they not be hydro tested in the US they can not be hydrotested anywhere period. They're a disposable tank. However, they are insanely expensive for something you can only use for five years total. Last I checked they were anywhere from $200-$250+ once you converted to US dollars.
Not only that you can not slam fill them like you normally are used too. You have to fill it about half way and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes while the layers stretch and compress. Air between the layers actually leaks out from the kevlar fibers so the cylinder itself sounds like it's leaking. Once it compresses itself then you can continue to fill the tank the rest of the way. So it's by no means an Xball/PSP race-to tank where you have to fill fast and get back out there.
There are way more cons then pros to the tank. The only pro is obviously the weight of it but for the price, how long it takes to fill, and the fact it's only good for five years then you throw it out, it makes it not worth it unless you have a lot of disposable income.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM #8
tyronejk
titular

Yeah, it doesn't sound very practical. But, I hope some company does improve on this design and to make a tank that functions as well as standard carbon fibers, but is still lightweight. What about sealing the outer surface and sucking all the air out between it and the bladder?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM #9
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
Yeah, it doesn't sound very practical. But, I hope some company does improve on this design and to make a tank that functions as well as standard carbon fibers, but is still lightweight. What about sealing the outer surface and sucking all the air out between it and the bladder?
Why? Is it really worth an extra $50 to $100 more for a tank that weighs in maybe, at best, one pound lighter? And you would have to replace that tank every five years, since it can't be hydrotested. So as Tab said, disposable income. With people buying 48/3000 tanks just to get into HPA, and then finding out that they really should have saved up to buy a 68/4500 or the like, I don't see alot of disposable income.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM #10
tyronejk
titular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open_Truth View Post
Why? Is it really worth an extra $50 to $100 more for a tank that weighs in maybe, at best, one pound lighter? And you would have to replace that tank every five years, since it can't be hydrotested. So as Tab said, disposable income. With people buying 48/3000 tanks just to get into HPA, and then finding out that they really should have saved up to buy a 68/4500 or the like, I don't see alot of disposable income.
I didn't say that this tank is worth buying, but if it was redesigned so that it could be hydrotested, slam-filled, and maintained it's weight, I would be willing to spend an extra $50 for a tank that weighs half of standard tanks.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM #11
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
I didn't say that this tank is worth buying, but if it was redesigned so that it could be hydrotested, slam-filled, and maintained it's weight, I would be willing to spend an extra $50 for a tank that weighs half of standard tanks.
It was designed correctly the first time by the companies in the US that make a product that can be hydrotested, slam filled and so on. There is a reason that they all use an aluminum core, not a polymer layered core. The other might be lighter, but that does not make it any better.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM #12
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
The problem is that polymers don't share the same characteristics as metals in terms of expansion and contraction. Not to mention just overall rigidity and returning back to their 'rest' state after expansion. You could heat and cool a piece of metal all day and have minimal warping; unless you went crazy with the heat and cooling. But you can't do that with a polymer. It's going to start to melt/warp out of it's original shape and that is the problem.
Not to mention hydrotesting involves filling cylinders way over capacity to check the water displacement. I'm sure the polymer layers would just burst before even reaching the hydrotesting pressures.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM #13
rexcore101
Play loose - fight tight

rexcore101 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
rexcore101 supports Team VICIOUS
rexcore101 supports DLX Technology
i have used stako tanks for several years, and i love them. incredably light weight and shorter than other thanks. no worry for them bursting. i live in norway and many people here use stako. its only when the tank has been completly empty, than you have too fill it up carefully, when the tank is half full or less but not empty, you can fill it up with no worries. cant be hydroed so its trash after 5 years. i dont have my tanks that long anyway so i dont care.

DM9
rexcore101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:08 PM #14
battleXtar

I've seen a lot of the pro & semi pro players using this tank In south east asia, especial in Malaysia..

So far I see the tank is much lighter & very reliable, havent heard any bad incident..

Strange as It's price is not that far off from the other brand CF tank out there in that part of the world... & I heard you only need to top up some amount to get a fresh new tank after its due...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM #15
frenchy2475

frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
frenchy2475 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
You are better off with a Safer tank, they are lighter and can be retested (in Europe that is)

http://www.safercylinders.com/?m=produkty&k=44
frenchy2475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:02 PM #16
rexcore101
Play loose - fight tight

rexcore101 supports Team VICIOUS
rexcore101 supports DLX Technology
wow, when my stako is trash next year this will be my new tank, thanks for the heads up

DM9
rexcore101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 PM #17
die.another.day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
They're made with polymer layers wrapped in kevlar. So it's essentially a plastic bladder held together by kevlar fibers.
Not only can they not be hydro tested in the US they can not be hydrotested anywhere period. They're a disposable tank. However, they are insanely expensive for something you can only use for five years total. Last I checked they were anywhere from $200-$250+ once you converted to US dollars.
Not only that you can not slam fill them like you normally are used too. You have to fill it about half way and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes while the layers stretch and compress. Air between the layers actually leaks out from the kevlar fibers so the cylinder itself sounds like it's leaking. Once it compresses itself then you can continue to fill the tank the rest of the way. So it's by no means an Xball/PSP race-to tank where you have to fill fast and get back out there.
There are way more cons then pros to the tank. The only pro is obviously the weight of it but for the price, how long it takes to fill, and the fact it's only good for five years then you throw it out, it makes it not worth it unless you have a lot of disposable income.
Wait im confused. If u cant fill them than what r u saying ?
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:27 PM #18
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
They are illegal to fill in the USA. Elsewhere they are not.

They are disposable. I think they have some kind of buyback program as discussed above.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 PM #19
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by die.another.day View Post
Wait im confused. If u cant fill them than what r u saying ?
You can fill them. But if it completely empty, you have to fill it half way, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then fill it up the rest of the way. Unless you have alot of money, to own say four or five of these tanks, in a Race-to type of game, they aren't practical, as you would have to take off the tank between rounds, put on a full tank, and let someone else deal with filling the tank to half way and waiting the time to let it finish filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person View Post
They are illegal to fill in the USA. Elsewhere they are not.

They are disposable. I think they have some kind of buyback program as discussed above.
I haven't seen anywhere about a buyback program stated in this thread, or any other. Can't see that Safer or Stako would do that, because they can't reuse the tank after it's five years.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM #20
battleXtar

Buyback program could be a customer retaining program by individual proshop.. I guess...