egocanival17
Royalty Paintball

egocanival17 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
egocanival17 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
egocanival17 is for the Gunfight
egocanival17 is Legendary
egocanival17 supports DLX Technology
Ripper Vic w/ Spool Engine vs Geo3: Poll Inside

Hey guys, so currently I'm debating on sticking with my Geo3 or selling it and getting a Ripper Vic with the new V-COM upgrade. I love my Geo, but I've always been a fan of Bob Long and this new upgrade is supposed to be amazing. Please let me know what you guys think and vote.

Thanks, Ethan
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM #2
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

has been a member for 10 years
The new upgrade is not amazing. It is a downgrade in every way from the stock Victory platform. It is by very definition: a gimmick.

Stick with the geo
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM #3
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Lmfao. Really? Ahaha.

So, smoother, quieter and more efficient than most spools is not amazing?

Last edited by blueshifty : 02-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM #4
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Has anyone even shot the spool engine yet?
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 PM #5
tinopaintball

Annual Supporting Member
tinopaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tinopaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tinopaintball supports Team VICIOUS
tinopaintball supports Team VICIOUS
tinopaintball supports DLX Technology
Almost no one has shot a VCOM, but a normal ripper victory is pretty amazing though.
Vicious CSL #3 --- Candy red ninja 68/45 --- SEED Rotor
Etha --------------------Ninja 68/45----------- Rotor
tinopaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 PM #6
egocanival17
Royalty Paintball

egocanival17 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
egocanival17 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
egocanival17 is for the Gunfight
egocanival17 is Legendary
egocanival17 supports DLX Technology
I'll be getting the Spool engine early next week straight from Bob Long. Me and my buddy will be some of the first to get it

We will probably make a review after we get it.

Last edited by egocanival17 : 02-15-2013 at 07:37 PM.
egocanival17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM #7
Virginia Rebel
SplatPaintball House Team

Virginia Rebel plays in the APPA D5 division
Virginia Rebel supports DLX Technology
You will not be disappointed with the new engine. The victory platform is amazing and with the new spool engine is just perfecting it and the increasing shots per fill improving on bobs videos. It is looking promising.
Virginia Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 PM #8
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Tim2thousand4 has shot it and is impressed and I trust what he tells me. I think it's far more than a gimmick.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 PM #9
Weroliera (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egocanival17 View Post
I'll be getting the Spool engine early next week straight from Bob Long. Me and my buddy will be some of the first to get it

We will probably make a review after we get it.
Will u make a video?
And wer will u post the review
Your a lucky son of a gun
Weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM #10
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
Lmfao. Really? Ahaha.

So, smoother, quieter and more efficient than most spools is not amazing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Rebel View Post
You will not be disappointed with the new engine. The victory platform is amazing and with the new spool engine is just perfecting it and the increasing shots per fill improving on bobs videos. It is looking promising.
I guess you guys missed when Bob told the world that the spool's efficiency is much worse, however it is a bit quieter, or so he says. In reality it is probably the same volume, just an octave lower. Though, since the victory is already quiet there is hardly a need for it, unless you want to limit your paint usage during a game.

but, once you spend $170 and want to justify that purchase, you get a scenario similar to the Jimmy Kimmel skit in which he walks around new york with an iPhone 4S telling people its the new iPhone 5 and asking what they thought. Several people even pulled out their own iPhone 4s and then sat there and said the screen did look bigger, the phone lighter, the colors sharper, and the software seemed to be much faster.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 02-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 PM #11
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
I guess you guys missed when Bob told the world that the spool's efficiency is much worse, however it is a bit quieter, or so he says. In reality it is probably the same volume, just an octave lower. Though, since the victory is already quiet there is hardly a need for it, unless you want to limit your paint usage during a game.

but, once you spend $170 and want to justify that purchase, you get a scenario similar to the Jimmy Kimmel skit in which he walks around new york with an iPhone 4S telling people its the new iPhone 5 and asking what they thought. Several people even pulled out their own iPhone 4s and then sat there and said the screen did look bigger, the phone lighter, the colors sharper, and the software seemed to be much faster.
I'm not sure if you're the type to think, but I've played with an Axe and a Proton in the same day and while the Axe was already quiet the Proton was smoother sounding and definitely something that you could really pick up on exactly where it's coming from after only a few shots where you could with the Axe. It's pretty close to the same thing here. Go with the sound signature that takes more than a couple of shots to pick up for more efficiency or go with the sound signature that everyone can pick up relatively quickly but can lane them out before they can shoot back.

OP, go for what you want. Personally, I say the Geo 3 over a Ripper with the Spool engine, but I'd say V-Com Marq over a Geo 3.

Last edited by aresfiend : 02-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM #12
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

The victory with the poppet arguably beats the geo3, but if you plan on using the spool engine then other than efficiency there isn't any difference, and since the geo3 is more efficient, that would be the better of the two options.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM #13
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
The victory with the poppet arguably beats the geo3, but if you plan on using the spool engine then other than efficiency there isn't any difference,
I'm not sure if you have ears... On Bob Long's video even you could hear that the victory had more of a "Pop" sound while the spool engine had more of a "thtup" sound which actually leads to a pretty large difference in target acquisition time.

Quote:
and since the geo3 is more efficient, that would be the better of the two options.
I'm not sure I'd support that one... The Geo3 gets about ~1,200 shots per 68/45 while the V-Com engine gets ~1,450 shots per 68/45 (from what I've heard from all sources).
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 PM #14
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
The victory with the poppet arguably beats the geo3, but if you plan on using the spool engine then other than efficiency there isn't any difference, and since the geo3 is more efficient, that would be the better of the two options.
So have you shot the vic spool engine? How do you know the Geo 3 is comparable to it?
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM #15
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
I would be hard pressed to find 'main stream' thoughts on the new spool engine honestly. I would wait until the production is really out there as I'm not even sure how many have been made/released as of yet.
If you have a Victory platform but are thinking about a spool spending the money for a new engine and keeping a marker with a feel you're used to is obviously a much cheaper, and arguably, a better decision then spending even more money on a marker that has a totally different feel.
That's really the point of the new spool engine. So you don't have too go buy a $1000+ spool valve that's of a 'newer generation' or even $400 on a used one.

I would take the negative comments with an extreme grain of salt at this point. If you ask me there is a lot of promise in this addition to the platform. Especially if you like spools but can't justify the cost of a new marker; which I see as the main purpose of the marker. Two different styles of shooting, one marker.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0

Last edited by Tabris17 : 02-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM #16
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Can't wait to try out the BL spool though. Course, gotta wait for my Victory to get here first, then order the spool engine. But still, excited.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM #17
Weroliera (Banned)

Think about if you really care about efficiency
In all my fields the fill station is basically gettin out of the netted area and unlimited air
I really don't think you will ever shoot 1000 shots in one game in speedball
I have a 45 4500 and an axe and I always always go in a game with 3 pods and my rotor full. I don't think efficiency really matters between geo3 and the boblong
It is cool but I don't think it's worth choosing one or the other due to efficiency
Weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM #18
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningPlaydoh View Post
So have you shot the vic spool engine? How do you know the Geo 3 is comparable to it?
Because I used my large and magnificent brain to make deductions based off previous experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
I would be hard pressed to find 'main stream' thoughts on the new spool engine honestly. I would wait until the production is really out there as I'm not even sure how many have been made/released as of yet.
If you have a Victory platform but are thinking about a spool spending the money for a new engine and keeping a marker with a feel you're used to is obviously a much cheaper, and arguably, a better decision then spending even more money on a marker that has a totally different feel.
That's really the point of the new spool engine. So you don't have too go buy a $1000+ spool valve that's of a 'newer generation' or even $400 on a used one.

I would take the negative comments with an extreme grain of salt at this point. If you ask me there is a lot of promise in this addition to the platform. Especially if you like spools but can't justify the cost of a new marker; which I see as the main purpose of the marker. Two different styles of shooting, one marker.
I'm just trying to say that trading away a gun he has already said he likes for a different gun that has no benefits over your current one smacks of the kid who touches the wire marked "danger, electric fence" to see if it really is electric.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 02-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM #19
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
I'll be testing it out in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it shoots
dps093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM #20
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Because I used my large and magnificent brain to make deductions based off previous experience.

I'm just trying to say that trading away a gun he has already said he likes for a different gun that has no benefits over your current one smacks of the kid who touches the wire marked "danger, electric fence" to see if it really is electric.
It didn't sound like that when you initially responded. It sounded rather short and 'matter of fact' without any evidence to the claim.
Also I have to question how you can make a deduction on a product that was announced a week ago and the main stream community hasn't even gotten yet. Just saying.

Quote:
The new upgrade is not amazing. It is a downgrade in every way from the stock Victory platform. It is by very definition: a gimmick.

Stick with the geo

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM #21
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris17 View Post
It didn't sound like that when you initially responded. It sounded rather short and 'matter of fact' without any evidence to the claim.
Also I have to question how you can make a deduction on a product that was announced a week ago and the main stream community hasn't even gotten yet. Just saying.
How can you be here for 6 years and not see a single pattern? After going through the same routine for 11ty bazillion times and getting the same result you begin to realize it is safe to make assumptions in certain scenarios.

Lets be reasonable: It's Bob Long, if he thought his product was superior to the Victory's engine he would have made a different gun entirely with as few interchangeable parts as possible. Hell, he makes you purchase the pressure tester kit separately, that alone should tell you he didn't get into paintball because he is a philanthropist.
The fact that it is backwards compatible and the V-COM comes with the old engine tells me that this engine isn't going to light the world on fire.

It is just like the 4C eyes, a gimmick designed to suck a few more pennies out of victory owners.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 02-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.