Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 AM #1
jmiller1990

Need advice

I start online course in the next month, currently working full time and going to further my degree. I also have quite a bit of travel coming up in the next few months. My current laptop is not going to cut it, the battery life isnt enough and its too bulky. The question I have is, should I get a new but more compact laptop or invest in a tablet instead? Which would be best for everyday use as well as good to do school work on? Price really doesnt matter so suggest anything.
jmiller1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM #2
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Realistically, a laptop would be better for you. Tablets are nice for consumption of data, but I can't imagine that writing essays or anything for a college course would work very well under the same principle. I've always been a fan of Toshiba's Satellite series, although I'm not entirely up to date on laptop tech.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 AM #3
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

I would get a laptop and not think twice about it.

It might depend on what you are going to school for though. I used countless pieces of weird software for my classes (weird grading software, submission tools, programming tools, math software, homework disks that came with the textbook, lecture viewers, note sharing, AND MORE) that were tough to get working on a proper computer sometimes because the crap was so old. I would never want to try and run them on a tablet.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 AM #4
jmiller1990

Thanks for the quick answers guys. Im going to school for my Bachelors in business admin with a concentration in operations. From what i've seen there's no crazy software required, all assignments are submitted online through the student portal.
jmiller1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM #5
diablodow
The fluffy snake player

diablodow supports Cereal Killerz 2
diablodow is for the Gunfight
Sounds like you need a laptop. I have a tablet and its great for reviewing notes and researching g stuff and even light document production but it sounds like a laptop would be a better overall choice as i have problems with my tablet always connecting to school software properly. I'm on my phone now so if you want something more in depth let me know. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM #6
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller1990 View Post
Thanks for the quick answers guys. Im going to school for my Bachelors in business admin with a concentration in operations. From what i've seen there's no crazy software required, all assignments are submitted online through the student portal.
Submission through a, more or less, mobile browser can be sketchy. Any ultralight laptop will be good for carrying around, or you can get a standard model and have a bit more umph behind it. If you have any questions on specific laptops, myself or somebody here will help you.