Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM #1
farcry550

Tippmann 98 Setup

Hello everyone! I just joined the forum to see if you could help me out with something. Alright, I'm 13, so my price budget is about 150 USD. I've pretty much made up my mind that if I ever get a paintball gun (Which I'm currently pending approval for a place to play. We have a field 30 mins away, but no way am I going to spend 20 bucks every weekend) it would be the Tippmann 98 Custom, due to it's durability and customization. Now since I'm pretty new to the sport (Played once..lol) I don't really know what to get for it. I'm considering the basic mega pack, but I kinda want something that's just for me. Like a cool facemask, good hopper, and a Co2 canister or whatever that's better than stock. Something that I can call mine. Also, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me the difference between all the types of air compressors, or whatever they're called. If my budget is too low, then just tell me, but really all I'm looking for is:
Hopper
Co2 Canister (Or whatever it's called, the thing that powers it)
Barrel
Facemask
Anything I'm missing
Of course, one of the best deals on a brand new Tippmann 98 Custom.

Thanks!

Last edited by farcry550 : 02-11-2013 at 11:10 PM.
farcry550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 PM #2
rgvbrutal
Brutal Balla

If your going to get an erip on your 98 or response trigger i would recommend getting an electric hopper.Get a good mask one with thermal lenses.Co2 is good for now later on you can upgrade to an hpa tank.HPA is easier on the o rings & you get better consistency. A good barrel to get is a flatline barrel.Your missing a pod pack and pods and i think thats pretty much it.
Tippmann X7-Sold!
rgvbrutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM #3
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Now while Tippmann markers do exactly what theyre supposed to, that's not exactly a good thing. I'm going to let you in on something every paintball player learns sooner or later - Tippmanns just don't perforn well.
The first thing you should buy is a high end mask like Vforce Grillz, Empire e-Flex, Sly Profit, or Dye i4. Unfortunately these will be most of your budget.

After you get a good mask, compressed air tank (never use CO2) and an electric loader THEN I would suggest getting the Gog paintball eNMEy. It is much lighter, quieter and smoother shooting, more efficient, smaller and better in many other ways compared to any Tippmann marker. It costs less than most Tippmanns too. Also the eNMEy has a high pressure regulator so it will be much more consistent shooting.

Last edited by BurningPlaydoh : 02-12-2013 at 10:49 AM.
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM #4
ncoco252

Make sure you get a good mask! Nothing sucks worse than paying to play and your lens keeps fogging up and you're blind for most of the game. Make sure it's a got a dual pane thermal lens.

As for a Tippmann, they all shoot about the same, not great. It's not worth upgrading any internals. They really don't make a difference with Tippmanns. But if you really want one, I'd get a BT4 (it's the same as a tippmann 98 internals, but has a better shell and simpler trigger assembly) and get a new barrel right off the bat, that's another $50.

For $130, the GoG eNMey blows the Tippmann 98 or A5 out of the water. It's got an anti paint chop bolt, better air efficiency, lighter, smaller and more consistent (which equals more accurate). Also, the stock barrel is much better, not the greatest, but better.

Finally, don't get CO2. Get a compressed air tank. Cheap aluminum ones can be found for $40.
ncoco252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM #5
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bump_Pitch has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
You will definelyy spend more than 20 dollars a week, most places 20 bucks is the entry fee
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM #6
FriendlyNudist

Good for you for having some money to invest in your own stuff. You're probably not going to like this but if I were you, I would invest in a nice mask and just rent everything else- at least for a while. Most rentals guns you'll use will be comparable to a Tippmann 98 (or will be a Tippmann 98). Similarly, everything else you can buy in your price range is either going to be a sidegrade or even a downgrade (some fields offer high pressure air tanks in their rental packages).

Get a V-Force Profiler or the like and know that you have at least one piece of top notch gear. Then, later down the line if you save up another couple hundred you can decide if you want to continue investing in more gear or in another more interesting activity that you want to blow all your money on (like girls).

(I speak from personal experience by the way. I remember the first time I brought my brand new Tippmann to the field. I felt like pretty hot stuff until i realized people were renting the exact same thing I spend 150 bucks on. It didn't kill the experience of owning my stuff, but it did dampen it a bit)

Last edited by FriendlyNudist : 02-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.
FriendlyNudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM #7
farcry550

Alright, with this new information...do you even think I would be able to play paintball? All these numbers are way too big for me. My parents of course won't ask permission to use any land so that's out of the picture. The rentals are Tippmann 98's, I just thought you could customize it to be better, but I guess that's out too. I REALLY want to play, but the odds are really against me. I don't want a constant drain on my money every weekend because the paintballs are priced at 13.50 for 500. I asked a few friends if they would be able to play and they were all really enthusiastic about it until I told them they would have to pay for themselves, so I would have about 1 or 2 other people that could pay the 20 for themselves. Even if just I went, my parents aren't very opt on traveling 30 minutes every weekend to play paintball for 4-5 hours. Is there any suggestions? The only thing on my side is that my grandpa used to love collecting markers so he has 3 or 4, but that's still 15 bucks every time, then another 50+ for the paintballs. They only allow field bought paintballs. Is there really any hope for me to be able to play every week? Or will I have to wait until I get more money?

Last edited by farcry550 : 02-12-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM #8
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry550 View Post
Alright, with this new information...do you even think I would be able to play paintball? All these numbers are way too big for me. My parents of course won't ask permission to use any land so that's out of the picture. The rentals are Tippmann 98's, I just thought you could customize it to be better, but I guess that's out too. I REALLY want to play, but the odds are really against me. I don't want a constant drain on my money every weekend because the paintballs are priced at 13.50 for 500. I asked a few friends if they would be able to play and they were all really enthusiastic about it until I told them they would have to pay for themselves, so I would have about 1 or 2 other people that could pay the 20 for themselves. Even if just I went, my parents aren't very opt on traveling 30 minutes every weekend to play paintball for 4-5 hours. Is there any suggestions? The only thing on my side is that my grandpa used to love collecting markers so he has 3 or 4, but that's still 15 bucks every time, then another 50+ for the paintballs. They only allow field bought paintballs. Is there really any hope for me to be able to play every week? Or will I have to wait until I get more money?
Have you thought about trying to make some money mowing lawns or shoveling driveways in the winter?

I want you to be able to as much as you do, maybe make it a once a month outing and work from there?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 AM #9
FriendlyNudist

Quote:
There's no doubt about it. Paintball is expensive, and once you start buying your own gear the costs tend to go up, not down. Its good that you are recognizing it now. I think if more people realized that, there would be a lot less lightly used Tippmmans being sold on craigslist.

That being said, I absolutely think you can play paintball if its something you really want to do- just maybe not as often as you might like. Right now, it might be more of a special occassion type activity (birthdays, family outings and the like). Play as often as you can and enjoy the fact that right now you don't have to clean and maintain your own equipment. When you get older and you start making your own folding money, you can revisit the topic of buying gear again.
FriendlyNudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM #10
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

thepaintballkidd supports Team VICIOUS
thepaintballkidd plays in the APPA beginner division
thepaintballkidd supports DLX Technology
thepaintballkidd supports Empire
My opinion
GET YOUR PARENTS ON YOUR SIDE!!!!
Show them that this is something that you will be decently dedicated to. Get a job to help pay for it, maybe bring your dad with you one time, or just talk to them about it. If they think this is good for you then they will be much more likely to support you.
thepaintballkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 PM #11
farcry550

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to face the facts that I'm not going to be able to play as often as I'd like. The reason I want to play so often is because this is the only actual sport I ever really liked. I'm going Saturday with my dad and a few friends, so I'll see how he feels about it. Hopefully he likes it. Also, yes, I have seriously considered getting a small job, but there's not exactly a huge selection for 13 year olds, so I'll have to get creative. Lol I know I kinda changed the topic, but thanks for the support, and I will truly follow your advice.

-Chase

Last edited by farcry550 : 02-13-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM #12
Mark4104

Mark4104 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mark4104 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Mark4104 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It's funny how everyone talks down on tippmanns if your not planning on being an avid speedball player any tippmann is good they last forever rarely breakdown if you take care of them.If your into woodsball there are too many mods to list that make it unique to your liking.Like everyone else said a good mask is the most important thing.It's always good to buy a cheap marker to start because who knows if you will continue to play,that way if you don't play that often then you won't have a $400 marker just sitting in your closet

p.s most people who play paintball either started out with a tippmann or have owned one

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...618&highlight=
Mark4104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 AM #13
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to face the facts that I'm not going to be able to play as often as I'd like. The reason I want to play so often is because this is the only actual sport I ever really liked. I'm going Saturday with my dad and a few friends, so I'll see how he feels about it. Hopefully he likes it. Also, yes, I have seriously considered getting a small job, but there's not exactly a huge selection for 13 year olds, so I'll have to get creative. Lol I know I kinda changed the topic, but thanks for the support, and I will truly follow your advice.

-Chase
Best of luck to you, and remember that even if you can't play that often now, paintball will still be there when you have money to spend.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM #14
Roninwarrior7

My advice would be to start off getting a high quality mask (Dye i4, Sly Profit), a high quality loader (Pinokio, Prophecy Z2, Dye Rotor), and an HPA tank. After you get this equipment I'd look into markers starting with the Proto Rail at $250 and go from there.

A 98 Custom would be a bad investment since essentially you can rent them for a few dollars at most places and because they're badly outclassed on speedball/airball fields. With a marker like the Rail, for essentially 100$ more you get something that would be adequate on most if not all fields.

Paintball is expensive, if you have small means start getting equipment step by step rather than getting the marker first.

Last edited by Roninwarrior7 : 02-14-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Roninwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 PM #15
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Get a good mask, a good hopper, air tank, than gun.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM #16
nuuub

You guys do realize that a lot of things you're recommending him are way out of his budget?

Since you're still new to paintball, I'd just get a decent thermal mask first(you can get the invert helix thermal for $30, not the best, but it'll do its job and won't fog), because one of the worst things to happen while playing is having foggy lenses(can't play if you can't see). Then, continue renting the rest of the gear at the field. play a few more times to see if you really want to pursue it more, because lets be honest...A lot of people THINK they love the sport, plunk down hundreds of dollars on equipment and gear, play a few more times, then quit... Of course, continue saving up money.

Once you're ready to buy your gear:

Although i do recommend getting a electric hopper if you have the money to spare, a gravity one will be perfectly fine to start with, especially if you have a mech gun. Just know that if you decide to get an electric gun, you're going to have to get an electric hopper. This is why people recommend getting a good hopper to start out with, so you won't be rebuying your gear down the road. You can get a gravity hopper for less than $5 or a Proto Prime for $20. For electric hoppers, a constant agitator(electric hopper) will run about $40, and one with sensors will start at about $70.

As far as tanks goes, HPA is recommended for various reasons. They work for all guns, they're consistent, and they're less brutal on your o-rings. But again, CO2 is fine if you're starting out because the initial cost is cheaper than an hpa tank, CO2 just won't work on all guns(like the high end ones). See if the field you play at charges you a filling charge for your tanks. That way you can compare your ongoing cost as you play for HPA vs CO2. A 48/3000psi HPA tank will run you about $50, while a CO2 one costs ~$20?

Now, these are brand new prices, and I'm sure you can save a lot by buying used. I'm just giving you a reference point to start out at.
nuuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 AM #17
Weroliera (Banned)

I say gog enmey
Ans has black in stock colors are pre order
I think they're selling like crazy
Weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 AM #18
Weroliera (Banned)

One time is not enough
It was for me though but I'm a different person maybe u so t like it after 3 4 times going. Make sure yu are insane in love with paintball first
Weroliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM #19
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Alright little buddy, sadly most of these guys in here are not listening to you and just preaching a bunch or regurgitated stuff they have read over the years, many of it i personally disagree with. So here goes,

*DO NOT BUY A NEW TIPPMAN IN PACKAGE W/ Mask and C02 tank, waste of money and the tippmans from 10 years ago shoot the same as the new ones.

*First, buy either a Jt Spectra or Invert helix mask with a THERMAL LENSE. The thermal lense is the most important part and either of these masks can be had for under $30, not $100 like some are suggesting.

*Second, look for either a 48/3000 Ci aluminum tank or 62/3000 aluminum tank, you should be able to get these for under $50 dollars.

*next, find an old sock to throw over the tank for some grip

*look for a used Tippman 98 here on nation, make sure the seller records a vid of it shooting for you and you will be golden. Never gift payment and youl be fine, you should be able to find one for around $50

*NEVER upgrade the tippman, it is a waste of money and wont really help at all

*seeing how your on a budget, a standard shake and bake hopper $5 new will be fine with teh tippman.

*buy some vollyball knee pads from walmart - $10 and will help you out a lot until you can get real paintball ones.

You should be able to get all of this for under $160 and it will be way better then those crap package deal things. Also, try to find a used podpack at your local field, someone will prolly be selling one for around 15-20. or just get one of the reallly cheap ones for like $5 online that hold like 2 pods with a snap belt type thing.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM #20
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
Alright little buddy, sadly most of these guys in here are not listening to you and just preaching a bunch or regurgitated stuff they have read over the years, many of it i personally disagree with. So here goes,

*DO NOT BUY A NEW TIPPMAN IN PACKAGE W/ Mask and C02 tank, waste of money and the tippmans from 10 years ago shoot the same as the new ones.

*First, buy either a Jt Spectra or Invert helix mask with a THERMAL LENSE. The thermal lense is the most important part and either of these masks can be had for under $30, not $100 like some are suggesting.

*Second, look for either a 48/3000 Ci aluminum tank or 62/3000 aluminum tank, you should be able to get these for under $50 dollars.

*next, find an old sock to throw over the tank for some grip

*look for a used Tippman 98 here on nation, make sure the seller records a vid of it shooting for you and you will be golden. Never gift payment and youl be fine, you should be able to find one for around $50

*NEVER upgrade the tippman, it is a waste of money and wont really help at all

*seeing how your on a budget, a standard shake and bake hopper $5 new will be fine with teh tippman.

*buy some vollyball knee pads from walmart - $10 and will help you out a lot until you can get real paintball ones.

You should be able to get all of this for under $160 and it will be way better then those crap package deal things. Also, try to find a used podpack at your local field, someone will prolly be selling one for around 15-20. or just get one of the reallly cheap ones for like $5 online that hold like 2 pods with a snap belt type thing.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 PM #21
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
+1