Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Craptacular001 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Craptacular001 supports DLX Technology
Craptacular001 supports Empire
Repairing my Bob Long Minicocker

edit* Check the end of the thread for progress.

Ok, so I am getting back into paintball after a 13 year hiatus. I bought an Invert mini and love the gun. It is awesome for what it is. I played speedball and yes, my old Minicocker would never work for that. However I just played woodsball again and realized this is my element. This is mostly where I played "back in the day" and it was completely natural.

So I have a WGP autococker that was supposedly modified/fine tuned by Bob Long into one of the first minicockers. I don't know if that is true but back in 97 when I bought it they were touting then that it had a crazy low serial number and told me this Bob Long tale.

Let me say I love this cocker and it has stayed with me over the years where I have given up the minimag, automag and spyder backup guns along with all of my equipment. This has more sentimental value than the $1500 I put into it. So it did hurt when the 20 year old (listen to me, I'm only 32..) told me he bought one for recently for $25...

So after playing woodsball this weekend I realized I can still bring this baby out and kick some ***. When I had this running in 98 it was purring like a kitten. I had a short trigger pull, I barely ever chopped paint, I could almost keep up with a mag and I had the longest range of anyone on the field . Unfortunately it has been resting for years. The trigger is stuck, I'm sure the 3 way is gummed up, the other two thingys at the front (please excuse it has been 13 years....) that control the ram and air pressure have to need maintenance. I should replace all the hoses and will.... Here is the problem though... , these are the only ones that I have ever seen that are brass. Call me vain but when these are polished up they gleam like no other marker that I have seen. Even when I was playing 13 years ago I and no one else ever saw this before. (EDIT* OK I didn't know better, but if you were playing during that time you have to understand, my local shop didn't carry new cockers. They had plenty of customized ones and used ones that pretty much all had the pneumatics changed out for all chrome. Everyone was going to chrome parts. If you looked in APG [Action Pursuit Games] all they ever showed was anno'd milled chromed custom cockers. I thought I was pretty unique.. now I know differently) Perhaps you have and I am just freaking out about nothing, but I would like to maintain the integrity of the marker, so what I am asking is there any resources available that could help me refurbish/fine tune this gun? There is no way my wife will allow me to spend money on having someone fix it up and I have always wanted to know how to work on these so is there anything out there that I could learn from?

Thanks all

Last edited by Craptacular001 : 03-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Craptacular001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM #2
Kanadian-Kaos
Canadian, eh?

has been a member for 10 years
Kanadian-Kaos owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
You need to head over to: customcockers.com

They have an entire section full of articles related to autocockers and autococker maintenance. <- Click it

There will also be some members who would be local to you who could aid you in restoring it (be nice and most autococker collectors will do it for free... I know that I have timed/tuned/repaired more than a few autocockers for free in my time).

Last edited by Kanadian-Kaos : 02-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Kanadian-Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM #3
backblock

Your hoses are brass? If you mean pneumatics then that is quite common. I say get an oring and hose kit and figure out how to rebuild it. Timing an autococker is super easy just do a bit of internet research an you are good to go.

Now for the elephant in the room: what do you mean ALMOST keep up with a mag? Such statments are punishable by extreme ridicule around hear. A cocker has now problem outshooting a mag . Lastly the long range thing is a myth.
backblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM #4
Rancid1845
Not Lazy........ Just Fat

Annual Supporting Member
Rancid1845 is playing at Living Legends VI
Rancid1845 plays in the APPA D5 division
Rancid1845 supports Empire
Pics please!!!!!!!

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
If it Shoots its "the ****"
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 PM #5
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by backblock View Post
Your hoses are brass? If you mean pneumatics then that is quite common. I say get an oring and hose kit and figure out how to rebuild it. Timing an autococker is super easy just do a bit of internet research an you are good to go.

Now for the elephant in the room: what do you mean ALMOST keep up with a mag? Such statments are punishable by extreme ridicule around hear. A cocker has now problem outshooting a mag . Lastly the long range thing is a myth.
Oh No, I shouldn't start a thread when I have been drinking! My hoses are just normal, but you did just burst my bubble. I hadn't ever seen the brass pneumatics except on mine. When I was playing back then it was all the rage to get everything chromed so thats what I saw in all the magazines and with the other guys on the field. So I thought I had something extra special...

Unfortunately its not just timing this, it's going to be a full on reconstruction with me gutting every component.

Let's land this pachyderm. There were plenty of other cockers out there that could shoot faster than the mags, but purposefully this one wasn't one of them. I had my trigger pull a little longer than most so I could be a little more controlling in my firing. Since at the time the hoppers weren't exactly keeping up with the guns this reduced my chance of chopping balls. As far as accuracy this gun was the best. The worst thing was that I would eat through bolt pins. Now I have heard the "myth" aspect of cockers when I first started visiting this site... but I have to say, I don't know if it was the perfect paint to barrel match or the consistent air pressure/velocity, the cyclone bolt or the little recoil but this gun consistently shot farther than my mag, spider or tippman. Perhaps it was the other guns giving vastly inconsistent velocities. For me it was an observable fact, I can't speak to cockers as a whole as this is the only one I ever had.

Let's also not forget that this was a time when most guns were using CO2 and we know how inconsistent that can make the velocity. Perhaps nowadays I wouldn't see such a vast difference (although the mag was always using HPA)..
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM #6
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadian-Kaos View Post
You need to head over to: customcockers.com

They have an entire section full of articles related to autocockers and autococker maintenance. <- Click it

There will also be some members who would be local to you who could aid you in restoring it (be nice and most autococker collectors will do it for free... I know that I have timed/tuned/repaired more than a few autocockers for free in my time).
Thanks man! I'll check it out!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM #7
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid1845 View Post
Pics please!!!!!!!
Oh... its a sad sight now. Perhaps I will post before and after pics when I am done.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM #8
Darkapollo

Brass Pneu were standard through 2003

My 96 with stock brass:
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM #9
Rancid1845

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular001 View Post

Oh... its a sad sight now. Perhaps I will post before and after pics when I am done.
Who cares just post it!

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM #10
Darkapollo

Quote:
Who cares just post it!
This.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM #11
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Who cares just post it!
OK, i just tried to post pics.... apparently I am retarded in some way.. please excuse... how do I do it?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM #12
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
Brass Pneu were standard through 2003

My 96 with stock brass:
Aww... you did just about everything I wanted to do back then. I wanted to mill the body to show the bolt. I was working on an anodizing process... but you did it all. I love the wooden grips and polished 3 way. There was just never anyone in my area that I trusted to do the work..
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM #13
Rancid1845

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
OK, i just tried to post pics.... apparently I am retarded in some way.. please excuse... how do I do it?
Go to imageshack.us and upload it then post the "direct link" they provide you here.

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM #14
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Go to imageshack.us and upload it then post the "direct link" they provide you here.
Let's try this....
http://imageshack.us/a/img145/9876/wholea.jpg
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM #15
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
I actually posted a couple pictures there. But this shows most of what I was talking about.

So the barrel is a Dye... does anyone know what this is? "boomstick?" that is sticking out in my mind.

I love this minicocker... I don't care what it's worth I kicked all sorts of *** with this gun... I hope I am able to get it running as smooth as it did before so I can rape all these little bastards who say it is obsolete....
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 PM #16
Darkapollo

Quote:
Aww... you did just about everything I wanted to do back then. I wanted to mill the body to show the bolt. I was working on an anodizing process... but you did it all. I love the wooden grips and polished 3 way. There was just never anyone in my area that I trusted to do the work..
I WISH i could take credit for it. A member on here aquired it and was going to strip off the anodize. I traded him the body and matching parts for another body, and then I lucked out an found a clean 96 with a TON of extra parts (such as the Bob Long/Benchmark expansion chamber) on my local craigs list to complete it. Polished up the brass, did a lot of trigger work to smooth out the pull, picked up a REX dialer and Eclipse lower tube and it has become the center piece of my collection.

Also, us autococker enthusiests are pic whores and take every chance to show off
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM #17
Darkapollo

Are you sure its a bob long?
They USUALLY had wild anodize and a cage back block with no beaver tail..
Im no expert, but thats what Ive seen in the past. Also thought they had benchmark or bob long frames.

ALSO, if you are free this weekend, some guys from MCarterBrown are having a big group game at my local field. The more the merrier. Since I see you are in VA, its not a long trip.

Last edited by Darkapollo : 02-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Darkapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 AM #18
Cokrkilr

I put my mag (after 7-8 years of sitting) in a solution of dishwasher soap and water, all taken apart of course. And it took ALL the gunk and grime out of it.

I know mags are superior here, so they can handle it... haha, that was a joke by the way...

But do you think the front pnues would be ok to be subjected to that? the only thing I think would be a problem is the reg? But even taken apart I dont see a big problem... I just rinsed my mag valve out really well after and oiled the hell out of it. then you could hand polish with some brasso and save a lot of time.

I literally only left it in for 10 minutes in boiling hot water... boil water, put in container, add soap, stir, add parts, stir some more.

Of course this is only suggested for some extreme cases... like my mag with broken paint from 2006 that was in it, works like a champ now. BUT it was so bad that the bolt was stuck on the power tube from paint gunk, I could not get it off till it soaked
Cokrkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM #19
Darkapollo

I dont see any reason it wouldnt be able to survive that.
Personally I would just tear it all down and clean it with a toothbrush, QTip, a bit of acetone, and then some soapy water. Polish with your buffing compound of choice.
I tossed mine in my drill press and ran it on high. Using a shop rag with metal polish and fine grit sand paper (there was some heavy tarnish). Polished the inside of the ram as well doing this.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM #20
Rancid1845

Annual Supporting Member
That is a DYE SS Barrel. Body looks to be an older standard cocker body. Ram looks to be aftermarket due to the thumb adjuster. Trigger frame is aftermarket too. The rest of the pneumatics I can't tell off hand if they are stock but they appear to be.

Sidenote: I love the spring covered pneumatic hoses.

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM #21
Darkapollo

The LPR is stock with the thumb adjuster.
The ram is stock
The 3way is stock.