PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 PM #1
Reklats

has been a member for 10 years
Question LCD double feeding

...I think.

I've been using my LCD with a halo too loader. The only other loader I've used was a revvy back in the day.

Occasionally I get what appears to be a bad chop, where I fire a broken paintball about 20 feet. This often happens when I'm not shooting rapidly, or even the first shot I take. This has happened 10-15 times in the 3 cases I've shot since dusting off the gun. Just from reading on here this sounds like it might be double feeding?

I have spare detents with allen key holes, and detents with the finger grippable groves. The spring tension seems roughly the same in all of them, so right now I'm using an allen key style, tightened in very tightly.

I've heard that ram adjustment can affect this. I've got the ram adjusted so there's a slight click with the bolt when the breach is closed with the gun gassed up. Should I try adjusting the ram further forward?

Is there anything else I can try? Reprogram the loader (I'm using the stock settings)? Should I just buy a different loader that's known to work better? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 PM #2
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

People used to run into that problem with HALO loaders a lot. Rollback is the primary cause - if you look down the feedneck you'll notice with the stock bolt that the ball actually rolls into the face of the bolt and allows the next ball in the stack to protrude slightly. When the ball stack is under tension from a force-feed loader, that next ball in the stack will get shredded. A soft face bolt, proper ram alignment, and a good detent will usually allow you to run a force feed loader without issue.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM #3
Trevor

I agree.

Short of spending money, first try to tighten the snap ring more. If you don't chop paintballs after that, then there isn't a dior need to open the breech anyway.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM #4
Reklats

Ok, I had a little room to screw the ram in more to where I can barely operate the breech, but it wasn't terribly adjusted before. I redid the snap ring adjustment too. I guess we'll see next week.

Does anyone know if other loaders are less likely to cause this problem?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM #5
Trevor

Most likely you will run into the same problems with other force fed loaders. Is your halo a v35? If so, you can adjust the feed rate.

What kind of feed neck do you have? Best to use to a low rise.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM #6
Reklats

I have a halo too, which is the sound activated one. I'd say that it works spectacularly if it wasn't for this double feeding thing.

I'm using a pretty standard mid-rise feed neck. I have a spare that's a low rise but the anno doesn't match
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM #7
trancer23
Angel Collector

Annual Supporting Member
trancer23 is playing at Living Legends VII
trancer23 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
trancer23 is Legendary
soft face bolt will likely have the most impact on this issue.

35 angels and counting......
Blue Black Impact Angel LCD, Doodoo Brown Dark Angel LCD, Dark IR3 & Ripper angel
94 Tippmann Pro-lite (old reliable)
Old Feedback - New Feedback
trancer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM #8
TyeStick
-I Run With Guns-

I haven't had a chance to pick up air until tomorrow. I'm worried about double feeding on my LED. Although it's got a brand new detent, I'm hoping that my Rotor isn't overkill.
TyeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM #9
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancer23 View Post
soft face bolt will likely have the most impact on this issue.
Indeed. If you can't find one, you can make a DIY remedy by installing a small set screw into the center of your bolt face such that it protrudes to the outside edge of the bolt so that the ball can't roll back into the concave face. Cap the screw with a dab of your favorite glue to prevent it from tearing balls.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM #10
Reklats

Update:

I adjusted the ram as far forward as possible while still being able to (barely) operate the breech, and the problem went away completely. I shot just under a case today without a single breech break.

Thanks everybody!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 PM #11
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Rollback was definitely your issue then. As mentioned before, if you can find a soft face bolt or any type of flat-faced aftermarket bolt, that will help quite a bit to prevent the problem as well.