Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM #1
N2extreme1

Is it worth it?

Do you guys ever sit back and say to yourself, why am I a tanker? Is it really worth all the time, effort and money we put into these machines? If you had to do it all over again would you? Knowing now the sacrafices you have made would you go through all the trouble of building another tank? The reason I built a tank was because I got to a point where I wanted to try something different. I didnt need the latest or gratest marker. I was bored with all that. I wanted to build something that would allow me to use my creativeness to help to my advantage. That and my wife comes to the events. She drives while I run the turret. We enjoy playing as a team.

The reason for my post is I played a 2 day event this weekend. It takes me 4 hrs to prep my tank for game. I have 4 guns to chrono, 3 cannons, run air lines, fill paint etc, etc. I always have the tank ready and on the field for the start of game. This weekend was no exception. Saturday I left the field 2x in 5 hrs. This was to load paint. I was loaded and back on the field in 15 min both times. It was hot insertion so after we were eliminated we only had to return to the dead box and then we could go back out. I never parked the tank in the dead box. Today I had some air leaks but was able to swap out some fittings and be back on the field before game on. I didnt leave the field at all today. Stayed throught the whole game. On both days I completed all the tank missions that my general gave to me. In all honesty this weekends event was one of my best events. No gun issues, paint shot great, and we played fantasic.

Well its time for the awards ceremony. There were 2 tanks on our side and 1 on the other. I was curious to see who was going to get the award for our side. I was confident that my tank and crew had given everything we had. The general announced he was giving the award to the other sides tank. He said he liked the music he was playing. Didnt even acknowledge the tanks on his side.

So was it worth me to not take any restroom, or meal breaks? Should I have not worried about the 2 times I did leave for paint I was being called on the radio to get back on the field for support? I dont know. Im not saying I deserved the award Im just not sure what to think about the fact it was awarded to the other team because the general like the music. Nothing against the other team as I have nothing but love and respect for them. I would play side by side with them any day.

Last edited by N2extreme1 : 02-10-2013 at 10:15 PM.
N2extreme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM #2
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I think it's worth it since you get to play with your wife. The cost, break downs, and time will never be offset by awards or acknowledgment. If you don't enjoy playing with your tank, it's something that's not going to come back by a single award.

I play paintball to meet yinz and have a good time. I thought playing with some tankers would change up a game that's made 70% of kids under the age of 21. Most tankers are more mature and make games better.

Thank you for being a tanker.

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM #3
Boom Master
Scenario Player

It ain't the glory. That's for sure. My claim to fame is that it is hated by thousands of paintball players.

At one game, back in the good old days of tanking when RPGs were few and far between, I just walked into the objective. (Walking Tank) Ran all the opposition out with no infantry support and raised the flag. Mission points to our side. Did it three times. Several more times with supporting infantry behind me. I would run the opposition out and they ran in and raised the flag. They couldn't do that without my tank. The game points difference was 3 of those missions. We did at least 5. Nobody said a word to me about how that tank made a difference in the mission points. Now the other side moaned and whined it wasn't fair. Like I said, hated by thousands. Means I'm doing my job.

Played as a grunt at one game last fall. No tanks allowed. Was talking to the guys about past games and they brought up a few years back, this Star Wars ATST tank played here and what a pain in the ^%$ it was. Years later they are still talking about it. It warmed my heart. Obviously made a paintball memory for them. Strangely, at that same game, I got the Sportsmans award for our side. First ever anything award and probably LAST.

Talked some more about a game up the road at Challenge Park. He was the pilot and his buddy was right behind him and this dude with a folded bazooka shot at them. He dodged the Nerf but his buddy didn't and he wasn't wearing any protection. It dropped him. Oh! Did the bazooka look like this one? Yeah! exactly like it. Are you thie guy. Yep... He hates you. Sorry.

I just like to tinker and make an idea work. Making your own toys is fun. Then you get to go play with them and have more fun. Then you have fun upgrading them and go have more fun.

It is nice to have toys that impress people that no rich kid's Daddy can go out and buy for him.

Something about building something with your own two hands that is inherently satisfying.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 02-11-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM #4
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Its absolutely worth it. The good part is when I have players routing for us when we are coming on the field or driving by them. They know we are coming in to make a push for them. On the flip side when the other players come by and say good things to you about something in the game. You just have to have the maturity to when things are not going right and your getting taken out alot to get back in the game and try again. When you have a game director come up and tell you that was the coolist thing he has ever had a tank do on his field. When the opposing team congratulates you for being fair. Just the past Skirmish ION our tank was coming off the field to re-insert and we got waved down by some opposing players because someone got seriously hurt with a leg injury. They asked us if we could take this person to the medics waiting off the field. We did. Later members from the other side came into our camp and thanked us for helping their player off the field and gave us a Act of Valor pin for sportsmanship from their side. We were not asking for anything. Just wanted to help a player get emergency help. Being nominated to be the Tanker of the Year at Skirmish. To be honest I wait sometimes during award ceremonies to see if we get recognised for something. Most of the times we dont. But the rewards and recognition from the players, refs, game directors, is all we need to motivate us to make it all worth it to keep coming back for more and to justify our costs, time, and efforts. The bottom line I still do it so I can spend quality time with my younger brother and close friends. Any hobby that's worth something has its costs.

Treaddz
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM #5
JESTERTLS

It was worth it when I was more into it. But right now, considering I have dumped thousands of dollars into three different tanks and I am not really feeling paintball, then no it isnt.

Maybe one day it will be worth it again for me. I still enjoy going and BS'ing with my friends/crew. They still enjoy doing it. And they are bringing more people into help crew it and in turn they are getting the tank building itch. So its a good thing.
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM #6
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

The feeling of rolling into battle in your noisy smokey deathtrap cant be beat!

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM #7
The Bandersnatch

our tank

https://www.facebook.com/bandersnatchhunger
The Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote