Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM #1
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

thepaintballkidd supports Team VICIOUS
thepaintballkidd plays in the APPA beginner division
thepaintballkidd supports DLX Technology
thepaintballkidd supports Empire
Best woodsball setup?

So I have been playing tournament style paintball for a few years, but I want to trying some woodsball and scenario style. I know that I can just use my tournament gun for woodsball, but I want something thats a little bit more made for it. I was thinking the Bt tm15 so if anyone has it and wants to suggest it then please do. Also I will take all other suggestions into consideration, not just on different markers but also vests, bdu clothing, remote coils, upgrades, ect. Thanks!
thepaintballkidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM #2
eclipse hunter

Tm-15s are kinda soft I have a x7 phenom Nd it's a tank, I'd compare the two like a g4 (rarly works out of the box), to a geo 3 ( I have a geo 3 too) and I would probly take my geo into a woodsball course but I still use my phenom as I don't care it it get dropped or thrown
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM #3
Nahib_Stilgar

Moving from a tourney marker to a woodsball marker will be hard. They are heavy and not as efficient. They look good but lack the performance you will be used to.

The BT tm15 is one of the better ones though.

Vests. Lots out there. Try to figure out how you like to access your paint. In front or back? What else do you want to carry? How hot do you get? Tank on gun or vest?

If you are used to paintball pants then going to bdus with no knee pads will suck. But there are plenty of camo paintball pants out there.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM #4
Wheeldogg
Sam

Wheeldogg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wheeldogg owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Wheeldogg has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
X-7 phenom because it is close to indestructible

and if you dont like 1 look (say m-16)you can change it (to say an Ak-47 or UMP) it has probably the most customization options on the market
Wheeldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM #5
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

Ok so if I were to get an x7 would you recommend any of the upgrade kits or just the stock gun
Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM #6
loneassassin
A Grim and...

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes:

Save yourself the hassle and unneeded investment and keep using your current gear, at least your gun/tank/loader setup (assuming you have a decent high-end electro). Most "woodsball" guns have nowhere near the performance of a typical tourney setup; pretty much in all categories of performance: efficiency, velocity consistency, size, weight, and loudness (having a quiet gun is VERY helpful in woodsball, at least it is for me). As for soft gear, your regular pod pack, squeegie/pull-through is all you need. My setup for woodsball is identical to what I use playing speedball, and I play on extremely rugged terrain, sometimes in mud and snow (I have yet to need a vest equipped with NAVY SEAL survival gear ). For pants, I use Empire Contact SE's in camo (not that I couldn't play woodsball in neon-green). Paintball pants rock. 'Nuff said.

If you're interested in having a gun that resembles a real firearm/and/or military tactical weapon, stop reading my post right now. Some people like that aspect of paintball, and I'm not here to judge them. I've got many friends, in fact, who go for more of a "milsim" experience -- and that's perfectly fine. From my perspective and playing style though -- that style of paintball gun really just prevents me from playing the way I want to play; fast, ultra-aggressive play in the woods. A high-end, efficient, lightweight marker is what helps me get to where I need (or like) to be on the field. I used to dress in all camo when I played -- been there, done that. But for me, I'm happiest just playing "in-your-face" paintball where it doesn't matter if they see me coming. I've found that I get more eliminations when I play front and center rather than my old "stealth" routine (that way can work too, but there were too many games that were over before I got behind my opponents).

I say all this because I genuinely want you to have the best woodsball experience possible; and with your speedball background, I think you'd be disappointed with any if not all "woodsball" guns. I'll mention that I have A LOT of experience on this subject (that'll get me flamed for sure); I'm not just some newcomer to the sport or even a 5 year veteran who thinks he knows everything. So good luck with your decision!

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 02-16-2013 at 05:58 PM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 PM #7
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahib_Stilgar View Post
Moving from a tourney marker to a woodsball marker will be hard. They are heavy and not as efficient. They look good but lack the performance you will be used to.

The BT tm15 is one of the better ones though.

Vests. Lots out there. Try to figure out how you like to access your paint. In front or back? What else do you want to carry? How hot do you get? Tank on gun or vest?

If you are used to paintball pants then going to bdus with no knee pads will suck. But there are plenty of camo paintball pants out there.
I really like the look of the bt tm15 LE and what it comes with stock and for vests I would want to be able to carry my tank with a remote coil and 3-5 pods of paint.
For pants could I just use my tournament pants? (Valken Crusade Whiteout color scheme)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM #8
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
Either keep your current gun or get the tm15 or tm7
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 PM #9
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post

Save yourself the hassle and unneeded investment and keep using your current gear, at least your gun/tank/loader setup (assuming you have a decent high-end electro). Most "woodsball" guns have nowhere near the performance of a typical tourney setup; pretty much in all categories of performance: efficiency, velocity consistency, size, weight, and loudness (having a quiet gun is VERY helpful in woodsball, at least it is for me). As for soft gear, your regular pod pack, squeegie/pull-through is all you need. My setup for woodsball is identical to what I use playing speedball. I just happen to have camo Empire pants (not that I couldn't play woodsball in neon-green).

If you're interested in having a gun that resembles a real firearm/and/or military tactical weapon, stop reading my post right now. Some people like that aspect of paintball, and I'm not here to judge them. I've got many friends, in fact, who go for more of a "milsim" experience -- and that's perfectly fine. From my perspective and playing style though -- that style of paintball gun really just prevents me from playing the way I want to play; fast, ultra-aggressive play in the woods. I high-end, efficient, lightweight marker is what helps me get to where I need (or like) to be on the field. I used to dress in all camo when I played -- been there, done that. But for me, I'm happiest just playing "in-your-face" paintball where it doesn't matter if they see me coming. I've found that I get more eliminations when I play front and center rather than my old "stealth" routine (that way can work too, but there were too many games that were over before I got behind my opponents).

I say all this because I genuinely want you to have the best woodsball experience possible; and with your speedball background, I think you'd be disappointed with any if not all "woodsball" guns. I'll mention that I have A LOT of experience on this subject (that'll get me flamed for sure); I'm not just some newcomer to the sport or even a 5 year veteran who thinks he knows everything. So good luck with your decision!
So first off, thanks for the time and thought put into that suggestion. I understand what you are saying and agree with most aspects of it. For me I want to get in to woodsball more and I would enjoy having a marker that looks like a real military firearm. I have held and shot a bt tm15 and an x7 and from my experience with that they both felt like they were comfortable and capable of long lasting milsim paintball. Right now when I play woodsball with my etek3, which is quite loud, I just feel a little bit out of place and that most of my shots are some what of a waste. I also enjoy the nostalgia of playing paintball with markers that look like actual firearms. Lastly, there is also the cost of playing tournament paintball and with $100 entry fees to tournaments plus maybe 4 cases of paint it comes out to a large amount of money for only a short amount of time on the field.. While a local scenario event might be $100 dollars for entry, a case of paint, and spending hours on the field. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM #10
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintballkidd View Post
So first off, thanks for the time and thought put into that suggestion. I understand what you are saying and agree with most aspects of it. For me I want to get in to woodsball more and I would enjoy having a marker that looks like a real military firearm. I have held and shot a bt tm15 and an x7 and from my experience with that they both felt like they were comfortable and capable of long lasting milsim paintball. Right now when I play woodsball with my etek3, which is quite loud, I just feel a little bit out of place and that most of my shots are some what of a waste. I also enjoy the nostalgia of playing paintball with markers that look like actual firearms. Lastly, there is also the cost of playing tournament paintball and with $100 entry fees to tournaments plus maybe 4 cases of paint it comes out to a large amount of money for only a short amount of time on the field.. While a local scenario event might be $100 dollars for entry, a case of paint, and spending hours on the field. Thanks for your input.
No problem,anytime! I hear you on the tourney fees and ridiculous paint usage at those events. But one last piece of advice: Don't completely abandon tourney play -- just pick and choose your events more carefully. I haven't played a tourney in quite some time, but I found that tourneys are more fun when I put a team of friends together at the last minute and then go and play our hearts out; rather than "practicing," drilling, and taking it entirely too seriously. I guess I've never really considered myself either a "tourney," "rec," or "woodsball" player; it's more of a "what kind of paintball do I feel like playing today? Because they're ALL awesome!" kind of outlook...

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 02-16-2013 at 06:39 PM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM #11
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

Quote:
No problem,anytime! I hear you on the tourney fees and ridiculous paint usage at those events. But one last piece of advice: Don't completely abandon tourney play -- just pick and choose your events more carefully. I haven't played a tourney in quite some time, but I found that tourneys are more fun when I put a team of friends together at the last minute and then go and play our hearts out; rather than "practicing," drilling, and taking it entirely too seriously. I guess I've never really considered myself either a "tourney," "rec," or "woodsball" player; it's more of a "what kind of paintball do I feel like playing today? Because they're ALL awesome!" kind of outlook...
I dont plan on abandoning tourney play any time soon, but maybe cut down on it and mix in a little woodsball/scenario
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM #12
avengeddisciple

avengeddisciple owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
avengeddisciple has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
my biggest suggestion, when you get your vest make sure it is a mesh vest with pod holders on the back. and make sure that it zips up. because trust me, from my experience non mesh vests make you sweat like a pig when it is only 80 out, and trying to put it on over your head with all of your stuff attached along with your tank and your pods just sucks to say the least. the BDU's are easy, you just have to find the correct camo for the area. I like the german flektarn when i go romp around woodsball in southern oregon. just putting that all out there... good luck man!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM #13
tr4mm

has been a member for 10 years
tr4mm is for the Gunfight
tr4mm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tr4mm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintballkidd View Post
I dont plan on abandoning tourney play any time soon, but maybe cut down on it and mix in a little woodsball/scenario
Pretty much what I did. I still rock with an electro now. However I just traded one of my electros for a pump + cash. That may be something you want to consider. I find that there are more new players/inexperienced players, or woodsball players that have never played speedball and hence dont know how to make themselves a small target. Going out there with a pump can make it more challenging and fun.
AO: +4/-0
Ebay: +58/-0

"Originally posted by mas19: I told of ref on the dxs field that the yellow substance on my hopper was mustard from lunch."
tr4mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM #14
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

Ok and do you think it is worth it to get the tm 15 LE
Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM #15
texas skeeter
UncleSam says,"GET A JOB"

Quote:
Nope not at all as i agree with you 100%. Iam 46 and started playing in my early 20's with a pump before most kids here were born. Ive played every aspect of paintball and enjoyed it all. As far as woodsball most of those so-called mili looking guns are heavy and do not shoot as well as say an EGO or DM. I've spent alot of $ over the yrs for highend markers and always used them in the woods. Playing woodsball doesn't mean you have to throw your marker down a dirt path or jump into a mud pit. And for clothes they make very nice PB pants with camo prints, O.D. green or tiger stripe. I like accuracy and reliability so i've always used my Tourney gun. To the OP get what makes you happy and you'll have fun at what ever paintball scenario you are playing. For me Woodsball back in the day was a Phantom pump w/ silencer and camo bdu's. There was alot of movement during a game and it seemed to take more skill to get a kill. Those days are long gone cause every Rambo kid out there now is hurling a bazillion rounds when they hear or see a twig move. HaHa.....
texas skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 PM #16
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I run a combination of high-end markers, military-style markers, and pumps. For woodsball, I must say that I have the most fun with a pump. I play with one of my AutoCockers (typically my Superstock) with a little 100-round loader. Cuts down cost and gives the game a little more skill than just shooting a thousand rounds at anything that moves. The pump helps me to use even less paint (she's stick-fed) and makes me move a lot more and shoot just a little bit tighter. It's personal preference. I'll pull out the A5 that I've made up like an M4 and have some fun with that (especially with the APEX). If you do get something militaristic like the Phenom or TM-15, I'd put it on a remote. That'll make it more maneuverable and a heck of a lot lighter.
There's my 2 cents from a good many years of experience.
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 PM #17
thepaintballkidd
Fluffy Ninja

Thanks for the suggestion and yes this will just be something fun to use besides my etek. So far I have pretty much decided on the tm 15 with the BT battle vest and some valken bdus, but would like some suggestions on remote lines.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 AM #18
BJYourk
The rippin' and tearin'

If you plan to play longer scenario games, stick with whatcha got. Maybe go for more camo-type clothes vs. the marker.
BJYourk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 AM #19
firststrike01
Peace is the way

Get a Ninja remote with slide check. And maybe a wrap for it if you're worried about snagging it.
firststrike01 is offline   Reply With Quote