PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM #127
Ryan3773 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post

****, I messed up one you're. Doesn't university of Phoenix advertise "degrees" but in unaccredited fields? Maybe I'm wrong on that part.

I really enjoy trolling people. There is a couple of people at work I get to troll every few weeks with the permission of my boss because now they get really upset and go home.
Would you consider your ****ty moderating of ST trolling? If so you put even Jammin to shame.
Ryan3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 AM #128
ALLCAPS (Banned)

Quote:
very
mod getting trolled? is this what I think it is?

get a life.

loloololool
ALLCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:37 AM #129
ALLCAPS (Banned)

Quote:
there are engineers and there are technicians. Various types of both but people who werent smart enough for the math, physics or science in general and want to get an engineering related degree do engineering technology which is a technician.

Its not even close to the same thing.
My dad graduated with a degree in Engineering and isn't very good at all of the above. Yet he pulls in quite a bit of cash being the head of an office that supplies power to parts of Florida.

I guess he didn't get a real degree either? and is just a tech?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 AM #130
B-RADD
Sassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLCAPS View Post
My dad graduated with a degree in Engineering and isn't very good at all of the above. Yet he pulls in quite a bit of cash being the head of an office that supplies power to parts of Florida.

Careful there, engineers don't fancy when the foundations of their high horse are shaken.

Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up, I close my eyes

B-RADD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM #131
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:

If you can't get into calculus 1 university physics when you arrive and require remedial courses most schools put you in a technician program where the degree plan is more laxed but you don't get the higher level theory and math involved in engineering. Technicians have more practical than theoretical knowledge but you also can't go anywhere with a technician degree in academia. Bachelors is the end of the line for you in science based majors.

My father in law is the Vice President of one of the largest mortgage companies in Texas and never graduated high school. Where are you going with this?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM #132
$h0cK3r
TEH SHOCKER

Quote:

If you can't get into calculus 1 university physics when you arrive and require remedial courses most schools put you in a technician program where the degree plan is more laxed but you don't get the higher level theory and math involved in engineering. Technicians have more practical than theoretical knowledge but you also can't go anywhere with a technician degree in academia. Bachelors is the end of the line for you in science based majors.

My father in law is the Vice President of one of the largest mortgage companies in Texas and never graduated high school. Where are you going with this?
Why was MVP such a ******

GOOGLE FTW
$h0cK3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM #133
dualimpact
I'm A Hypocrite

dualimpact helped look for balloons
Every engineer I have ever met has been incredibly useless out of his area of expertise.

-Mistah J
dualimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM #134
ALLCAPS (Banned)

Quote:

Okay, so now it's a competition of wealthy family members? I see your mentality.

I was saying that my dad is an engineer, has a degree in engineering and has been doing it for years now. Yet if I ask the guy a simple algebra equation, I'd be damned if he still knows how to solve it. You are making it sound like if you aren't a genius in calculus or whatever the hell, then you aren't a real engineer, just a "tech." Who will never get anywhere in life and will work the ****tiest of ****ty engineer jobs.

the funny part about it is that a lot of my family will ask my dad some ridiculous math question or something of the sort and they'll say "you're an engineer, shouldn't you know these things?" and he gets pissed

Last edited by ALLCAPS : 02-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 PM #135
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:

Okay, so now it's a competition of wealthy family members? I see your mentality.

I was saying that my dad is an engineer, has a degree in engineering and has been doing it for years now. Yet if I ask the guy a simple algebra equation, I'd be damned if he still knows how to solve it. You are making it sound like if you aren't a genius in calculus or whatever the hell, then you aren't a real engineer, just a "tech." Who will never get anywhere in life and will work the ****tiest of ****ty engineer jobs.

the funny part about it is that a lot of my family will ask my dad some ridiculous math question or something of the sort and they'll say "you're an engineer, shouldn't you know these things?" and he gets pissed
Your 100% right Most Interviews don't focus on your knowledge of theoretical math or anything competency related besides entry level jobs

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM #136
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Where geographically do you work and did you negotiate your starting salary why or why not . Did you also post your salary on glass door

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM #137
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
1. CE = civil engineering CPE = computer engineering , bridges were before computers folks.

Quote:

Bull-****ing-****

My degree is Electrical engineering. You know, the real kind of engineering. Not your half *** engineering technology that doesnt get into half the math and theory that a real engineer does. I also dont give a **** what your degree says, university of phoenix hands out "degrees" all day long, doesnt make them worth anything. The fact that your degree says engineering is a failure of the licensing committee that allows sub-par degrees to hold the name "engineer" which lowers the work that i actually do. You are a technician, plain and simple. Say whatever you want to make yourself look better but your still a technician. I attend the university of texas.

You are right about one thing though, I havent graduated. This is my last semester and its really a formality of credits at this point. I am graduating in may. Then you can **** off as im starting my PhD in the fall. Im glad youre taking your TECHNICIAN degree and using it towards business. Im sure it will work well for you when you are doing IT for McDonalds one day.

Trash technicians.....
Dude you sound really insecure I'm sorry things didn't work out for you , and you got so upset .

I Don't care what people's degrees say or what they call their job title. My marketability is based on what I know , how well I sell myself and my expeirience . Also future ambitions and drive to be a part of the certain group also help . I have met some self taught people who grew up in eastern Europe and never attended college with 20+ patents and could **** on Stanford graduates in regards to their knowledge of computer science . A piece of paper is just that in my field , it helps for entry level jobs but after that it becomes less and less relevant compared to experience . Also look at the career history of most CIOs and CTOs at most fortune 500 companies I wouldn't be surprised if alot of
Them spent some time in IT . I loath IT but realize that talent In that department can significantly contribute to any cutting edge techbology company , As for IT all stars vs IT joes working at Walmart or Kraft foods I am not sure how much they would change those companies bottom lines.

If you need some honest engineering advice I can try to give you some , my undergrad was a dual major with a bachelor of engineering (5 schools I think still keep that degree rather than a BS) in computer engineering & electrical engineering . I also finished my masters in systems engineering while an undergrad , and finished grad school for computer science .

I don't know if your just doing your phd for salary or prestige but if it's for either of the two
As you main reason I would suggest you to drop out after your masters and take other roads that will better pay off for those goals( possibly an MBA , Ect )

Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM #138
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ders View Post
Java was the original intro to programming language. Now it's Python. I have rather limited Python experience.

I'm not that obsessive compulsive.

You're a regular Derek Jeter. Or some sports ****.

I don't know what that is.

Sure, what do you want?

Nice bro, now you liftin'.
You know C++ was it before hand and back In the day my friends dad took fortran which counted as his foreign language requirement at Princeton undergrad . He is a pharmacist now so not sure how much that helped him .

Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 PM #139
pflfranco
It's Josh

pflfranco is playing at Living Legends VI
pflfranco supports Team VICIOUS
pflfranco posts videos on PbNation
pflfranco is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pflfranco is Legendary
pflfranco supports DLX Technology
The Quad post eh?
pflfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 PM #140
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflfranco View Post
The Quad post eh?
On the phone app it's hard or possibly impossible to multi post . If I made this app I could have fixed it

Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 PM #141
pflfranco
It's Josh

pflfranco is playing at Living Legends VI
pflfranco posts videos on PbNation
pflfranco is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pflfranco is Legendary
pflfranco supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
On the phone app it's hard or possibly impossible to multi post . If I made this app I could have fixed it
That explains all of the spelling errors as well, thanks for clearing this up.
pflfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM #142
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
I don't know if your just doing your phd for salary or prestige but if it's for either of the two
its required in my field. Jobs in my field are Phd or Masters only and if you start in masters you must get your PhD to get promoted past a certain point. Cant do what i want to do with a BS or MBA no matter how marketable it makes you in other fields. Solid state design and VLSI arent normal fields where you can get away with a BS and not have a good theoretical background.

Im also really just being an ******* for no real reason.

Last edited by Burninator : 02-09-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM #143
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflfranco View Post

That explains all of the spelling errors as well, thanks for clearing this up.
I also have almost Shaq sized hands and this iPhone case sucks it blocks the edge of the screen off kind of so you l p m q a z keys are kind of tricky . Pulse apples auto correct

Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 PM #144
yuik

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik is Legendary
Quote:

its required in my field. Jobs in my field are Phd or Masters only and if you start in masters you must get your PhD to get promoted past a certain point. Cant do what i want to do with a BS or MBA no matter how marketable it makes you in other fields. Solid state design and VLSI arent normal fields where you can get away with a BS and not have a good theoretical background.

Im also really just being an ******* for no real reason.
Yeah I kind of loath the current trend of needing a phd to do research for political reasons . There are a lot of guys I work with who were at bell labs in the 70s and 80s and the patents they had their names on were great considering they only had undergrad or masters degrees .

I like the more modern companies in my field like a google Facebook amazons national instruments Dropbox or linked inn compared to the old school places like IBM , texas instruments Microsofts adobes and HPs .

Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 AM #145
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:

Yeah I kind of loath the current trend of needing a phd to do research for political reasons . There are a lot of guys I work with who were at bell labs in the 70s and 80s and the patents they had their names on were great considering they only had undergrad or masters degrees .

I like the more modern companies in my field like a google Facebook amazons national instruments Dropbox or linked inn compared to the old school places like IBM , texas instruments Microsofts adobes and HPs .
Pretty much all companies in my field are this way. Whether you want to call them old or not, they adopt this for a reason. You simply don't know enough with a BS to be a worthwhile employee to them. A masters degree is tip of an iceberg and at least gets you a focused degree that can be built upon. PhD still isn't enough but it gets you so focused on a piece of the puzzle that you can bring a specialty knowledge to a project that will solve 1% of a problem. You know the concepts and you know how to research and find the answer.

For many fields in EE you can get away with little knowledge and being able to find the answer. Simply not the case here. You need a deep understanding of a single concept to make an informed decision on the best route for the next big thing.

National instruments is owned by TI. Texas Instruments, AMD, Samsung and Qualcomm will take masters. Intel, Broadcomm and a few others want PhD

Last edited by Burninator : 02-10-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 AM #146
pbrunangun741

I'm currently doing mechanical engineering I'm also planning on getting my phd as well but that's still a long way off I'm only in my third year.
pbrunangun741 is offline   Reply With Quote